Fieldtrip Report - Dubai Visit
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By ahkeelt
  • 2 Post By ahkeelt

Thread: Fieldtrip Report - Dubai Visit

Off Topic post Fieldtrip Report - Dubai Visit

Back from a 2 week trip to Dubai (UAE), I must note Dubai is a perfect example of “The Truman Show” – city that is too perfectly landscaped and every plant irrigated, every car clean, and every street or road well made. The houses look exactly the same from one to the next and the cul-de-sacs that are too perfect.

Prices are sky high. Everything sells at retail value and almost everything you see in the West is available there. The exodus of hopping tourists bring in the lofty Durham (AED/US$ = 3.7) and remainder buoyancy is from locals and ex-pats earning high salaries – and that too tax free!! Not much oil money directly attributable to this city – but the Sheik has done well for the locals. Locals (or as they are called – the ‘original emirates’ earn more than ex-pats doing exact jobs – and by law you need to hire locals at a fixed ratio to your total employee base in Dubai. So in a nutshell – Life is Good and everything is available in plenty….

Well everything……except Sinn!! I could not find a Sinn dealer – not that I was really looking. All said and done – it makes sense – in a largely flashy city with people yearning for upping the Joneses, Sinn has no place. Its quite a contradictory purchase in such an environment I would think – “Bob, I got a $5,000 Omega. Great! What did you get for $5,000 again – something called Sinn – what is that?”

Well, I had packed my Sinn EZM3 for the trip. I took the EZM3 along largely because it was what I had running on my wrist then and had a Nato strap on – perfect strap for warm 75 F weather. And did the EZM3 see some sights.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  50.6 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  40.9 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  51.8 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  48.4 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  36.5 KBName:  6.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  35.0 KB

I went to Dubai Mall – an amazing mall with every luxury brand on the planet (well kind of) represented. Quite pleasantly, sections of the mall are designated by the kind of wares being sold – so you would find fashion alley to contain all clothing retailers and so on and so forth. Watches were all in the same place – so you did not have to walk half a mile between 4 stores. As we sat down for a cup of coffee after being all "watched-out" I took these pictures of watches we had in the group... (note the Sinn shows US time in the pictures while other 2 watches show UAE/Dubai local time).

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  48.1 KBName:  11.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  47.9 KBName:  12.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  39.5 KB

Although I was tempted to whip out my iphone to take pictures of watches I held and saw – I overcame that urge somehow. Some of the Berguets and GPs were breathtaking. One specific model of GP that really got my attention – alas the price tag on that was equally breathtaking. That night I posted a request for good substitutions for this watch and got some interesting suggestions – see here (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/what...ne-957609.html). Would welcome additional thoughts or suggestions, if you have them…

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  50.6 KB
    Last edited by ahkeelt; January 3rd, 2014 at 00:20.

Re: Fieldtrip Report - Dubai Visit

A couple more pics...

Name:  C.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  113.5 KB
    Name:  B.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  169.3 KB
    Name:  A.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  183.0 KB
    b'oris and Dennis Smith like this.