First Impressions of the Sinn 104 St Sa
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: First Impressions of the Sinn 104 St Sa

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Suspended

First Impressions of the Sinn 104 St Sa

Pre-ordered back in April and arrived this afternoon from Germany via watchbuys. I was nervous to actually get it after the wait. Would I still feel the same about it? Did I wait almost 5 months for nothing?

The things I was confident about in the beginning and still resonated with me when I opened the box and put it on:

1. 41mm across and 11.5 deep just about perfect for me. wrist shots below
    2. Marketed as a Pilot's watch - but with screw down crown - WR 200 meters
    3. Sinn's captive bezel, this time as a countdown instead of diving. Never had a countdown bezel before (I think)
    4. Antimagnetic - okay not a lot of magnets in my life but still good to have.
    5. Legibility - contrast of black and white make it easy to tell the time at a glance or at a distance where my eyes aren't super focused

The things I was up front concerned about and after reading owner's feedback:

1. SW220-1. Let's get this out of the way, I'm no movement snob, however I get the impression that unless you are in-house nor not named ETA then you are second class. I reserve judgement on this matter until a healthy time has passed and I can test power reserve and time against the USNO.
    2. Syringe Hands - never tried them before and had in the past generally avoided them. I am glad to say I was wrong and they look great in person.
    3. The micro-second track - when viewing the watch to get the time it just fades into watch dial. It does not impose on the dial or stand out or distract.
    4. Polished Case - not as bling as I had feared, in fact it's really nice. More of a touch of class than a blinding abomination
    5. Sapphire Crystal - seeing the first pictures a long time ago I thought this watch screamed for a nice domed acrylic crystal, ala the speedmaster, but in real life the slightly domed sapphire works beautifully. no regrets.

Last list, then onto pictures....things I learned after I put it on:

1. Matte Dial - nice change from the gloss dial of the dweller. Not saying one is better or worse, it's just good to have both.
    2. So very comfortable on my wrist. Goldilocks size, enough not to be trifled with yet don't have to conscientiously guard against the walls or door frames or cabinets, etc.
    3. Lume is above average, at least better then my old U1, 556 and 203

elevator speech - everyday real world watch, everyday real world comfort, everyday real word functionality and practicality at an everyday real world guilt free price.

If you've made it this far you deserve a few unboxing pictures:

Usual nice quality presentation box - one small thing though, the box has the slot for the strap changing tool, but does not come with the tool as the 104 does not have lug holes. Makes think they forgot something but in truth, they did not.

Last edited by rockmastermike; September 6th, 2013 at 15:58.
    gr8sw, drdas007, H.H.Sinn and 4 others like this.

Re: First Impressions of the Sinn 104 St Sa

Great watch and review
    Congrats!

really nice!! congrats & thanks for the review & pix!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Suspended

Thanks, guys - it was worth the wait

thanks for the photos, enjoy the new piece. A brushed case and the 104 would have been perfect for me.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by David Woo View Post
    thanks for the photos, enjoy the new piece. A brushed case and the 104 would have been perfect for me.
    Thanks David - I know it's subjective but it's better than I initially thought it would be. Not trying to convince you as I had the same concern as you have and when it arrived I was/am very happy with how it looks.

or that may just be the honeymoon talking :)

Nice write-up...I've had mine for 3 weeks now and am very happy with it. I did change the strap as I have mentioned in a previous thread. I too like the just-right size, I tend to like the look of bigger watches like 44mm but in the real world they start to annoy me after awhile because of the bulk...this watch wears really easy/comfortable and still looks substantial. Mine is running quite fast, +8 sec/day, which is somewhat disappointing but I will see where it's at in a few months. It's not COSC I know but many cheap mechanicals run +/- 4 sec/day right out of the box and I was hoping for the same here.

Wrist shot from today...
    rockmastermike and drdas007 like this.

Suspended

Love that strap - really dresses up the watch. Someone on another forum called the 104 a switch hitter that it can do both dress and casual equally well

Congratulations on receiving your watch. Wear in good health, and often. Mine was out for a fine dinner tonight with my better half.
    HHS

Quote Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
    Mine is running quite fast, +8 sec/day, which is somewhat disappointing
    that's not so bad, given cosc range of -4 to +6: I assume it will break in a bit after a few weeks.
    Last edited by David Woo; September 7th, 2013 at 03:32.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information