First Sinn incoming/ UX on the way!

Thread: First Sinn incoming/ UX on the way!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

First Sinn incoming/ UX on the way!

Hello all,

I have been lurking here and there, learning about Sinn and mesmerized by their mix of design and functionality. I was absolutely certain I would end up with one of several automatics I had been considering. But as it turns out, I went the quartz route. Go figure. I just couldn't get past the depth effect and the practicality of this very handsome piece. No worries though. As funds allow, I am sure I will be back for one of several autos catching my eye already. Anyway, I can't wait until I open that box Monday! I will post pics, if only to appease the gadget geek in me. I look forward to becoming an active member of this community. Now I gotta go pace for a few days. Seeya.

Banned

Re: First Sinn incoming/ UX on the way!

Forgot to mention... The UX is coming on a rubber strap cut too small for my wrist. If any have a strap need, let me know. I picked up a bracelet for the watch already.

Congratulations on your UX! I know you won't be dissapointed Be sure and post a review and pics when you get the chance. Where did you get yours, by the way?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

I got it from a regular member of the watchuseek forum. Same for the bracelet. I will definitely post impressions once the watch is on my wrist.

Banned

So I got the Sinn UX purchased from a caring previous owner. Watch arrived spotless, like new, all packaging, docs and CD. A beautiful piece, except........

It suffers from the dreaded greying of hands and dial. That is the bad news. The GOOD news is that it still has nine months left on the Sinn warranty. And since it was originally a Watchbuys purchase (Seller was kind enough to include the warranty card), the warranty is transferrable. Watchbuys was very helpful with guidance on how to process the repair. And the seller was also great, forwarding a partial refund to cover the shipping expense and inconvenience. After talking with Watchbuys, I must say that I am really impressed with their willingness to help, even though I was not the original purchaser. I know I will purchase from them in the future, especially after this experience.

Now I have to defer the joy of wearing a watch I was really excited to get. But I will eventually have a like new unit with the new teflon oil. I also discovered both a great seller and great merchant. From what I have read, I am bracing for a pretty long wait to get the UX back from Germany. Still, I could only wear the watch just long enough to grow attached to it, but too long for the grey to not bug me. So it has started its journey to Germany for a rejuvinating spa vacation.

Guess pics and review will have to sit on ice for a few months!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubbiepants View Post
    So I got the Sinn UX purchased from a caring previous owner. Watch arrived spotless, like new, all packaging, docs and CD. A beautiful piece, except........

It suffers from the dreaded greying of hands and dial. That is the bad news. The GOOD news is that it still has nine months left on the Sinn warranty. And since it was originally a Watchbuys purchase (Seller was kind enough to include the warranty card), the warranty is transferrable. Watchbuys was very helpful with guidance on how to process the repair. And the seller was also great, forwarding a partial refund to cover the shipping expense and inconvenience. After talking with Watchbuys, I must say that I am really impressed with their willingness to help, even though I was not the original purchaser. I know I will purchase from them in the future, especially after this experience.

Now I have to defer the joy of wearing a watch I was really excited to get. But I will eventually have a like new unit with the new teflon oil. I also discovered both a great seller and great merchant. From what I have read, I am bracing for a pretty long wait to get the UX back from Germany. Still, I could only wear the watch just long enough to grow attached to it, but too long for the grey to not bug me. So it has started its journey to Germany for a rejuvinating spa vacation.

Guess pics and review will have to sit on ice for a few months!!
    That is bad and good news for you. Now we can begin to understand why WB has discontinued offering this Sinn Model.

I my opinion, Sinn should remove the oil from this model and keep it a temperature compensated quartz movement. It can still be the UX with a reduced 1000 meter depth rating.
    -Steve
    -----------------------------------------------
    Watches:
    Rolex Sub-C 116610
    Tag Heuer AquaRacer Chrono CAF1110
    Autos:
    Jaguar XF 2010
    ------------------------------------------------

Banned

I don't know if I agree witht that. I haven't heard of folks with the new GSG9 models or newer standard UX's with the teflon oil having the same greying issue. But I could be wrong.

Also, part of the allure of this watch for me is the depth effect the oil gives the face, along with the overengineering of obscene depth resistance. If I have to service the watch once every seven years, it is still no more frequent than automatic servicing.

Is it accurate from experience of other Sinn owners that the newer Teflon oil has handled this issue?
    Last edited by Cubbiepants; May 7th, 2008 at 19:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubbiepants View Post
    I don't know if I agree witht that. I haven't heard of folks with the new GSG9 models or newer standard UX's with the teflon oil having the same greying issue. But I could be wrong.

Is it accurate from experience of other Sinn owners that the newer Teflon oil has handled this issue?
    It's all a matter of time and environment. The first UX watches came out with Silicone oil and it took 6 to 9 months for the greying/browning of the hands and indices to show up on customer wrists. Now Sinn has apparently changed to Teflon based oil for the UX. Not enough time has passed for customers to experience the affects of the new oil. Also, recall that the very earily UX case back leaked oil. This was another defect that got into customer hands.

BTW, I've been professional engineer for over 20 years. The proper way to handle these things is to use HALT (Highly Accellerated Life Testing) to uncover these types of design defects. With HALT you use temperature extremes, vibration, shock, etc. to increase the effective lifetime of a product under test. You observe the results and make the necessary design changes to improve the product. You don't use your customer's as ginnie pigs, if you want return business. The UX has been a Sinn debacle since day one. I hope they did their home work this time before re-launching it with the customers. Time will tell...
    -Steve
    -----------------------------------------------
    Watches:
    Rolex Sub-C 116610
    Tag Heuer AquaRacer Chrono CAF1110
    Autos:
    Jaguar XF 2010
    ------------------------------------------------

Banned

Great points all. Still, I will counter that, while perhaps Sinn erred in releasing a flawed product, they have seen fit to resolve those errors and reissue a very interesting design. And with a 3 year warranty on the EZM series, all UX units not purchased on the grey market should benefit from these revisions at no significant cost to the owners.

Over a year has passed since the GSG9 UX came out, and I have combed the boards and not really found any issues popping up. Most owners are pretty satisified since the revisions. I don't necessarily understand the point in scrapping the progress made and eliminating what has, of recent vintage, been both a reliable and interesting timepiece, and Sinn's second best selling unit.

It would seem to me that your position would be one of disdain of Sinn as a company and its testing practices in general, rather than issues focused on a specific unit which, in its current incarnation, appears to be fairly trouble free.

Banned

"Now we can begin to understand why WB has discontinued offering this Sinn Model. "

This isn't entirely accurate, at least according to the person I spoke with at Watchbuys. Their decision to not carry the UX seems to revolve around three issues:

- The UX is a quartz based watch, and all their other watches and focus are mechanical timepieces
    - The UX cannot be serviced in the US. They would prefer to not sell a unit which needs to be shipped to Germany for battery changes, oil changes, etc.
    - Sinn has no plans of placing equipment to service this watch in the US in the immediate future.

I was told they have wrestled back and forth about whether to offer this unit. But you are correct.. at this point they do not offer it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information