Gonna pull the trigger on a Sinn 556i...
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Gonna pull the trigger on a Sinn 556i...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gonna pull the trigger on a Sinn 556i...

Hi guys,

I've been eyeing up the Sinn 556i for some time now and I'm close to pulling the trigger.

I own a fair amount of watches, some large some small. I find myself always wearing my smaller timepieces and leaving my big boys in the box, I only have a 6.5 inch wrist so anything I own above 42mm I just can't get comfortable with. I can't sell a couple of watches (Hamilton X Wind, 44mm and Seiko Arctura, 46mm) because they were gifts for my 30th and hold too much sentimental value.

I'm rotating 4 regularly; Certina DS1, Steinhart OVM, Orient Mako and Orient Bambino (mainly for dress occasions) but I'm keen to add something else to my collection. I feel the Sinn would be perfect size wise and I love the design.

I understand they've increased their prices recently and have also released another 556i on a different fine link bracelet.

Can anyone give me any feedback on which bracelet is best, original or new?

Also is this watch worth the money? The original bracelet version is £795 and the fine link version is £810, I can't recall how much they were in the UK before the price hike.

I'm always on eBay looking for a nice used example but they don't come up very often.

Thanks for your time.

Banned

Re: Gonna pull the trigger on a Sinn 556i...

I briefly owned the 556A, and the size was perfect for my 6.5 wrist. I didn't care for the flat double AR-coated crystal, which constantly smudged and spotted. I ended up selling it and getting a 104. The 556I gets lots of love though, so you will probably like it fine.

By the way, what are your impressions of the Certina you have? Just curious. Thanks.

I think the 556i works best on the original (non-fine) bracelet.

I had a 556a and the date window ended up being too small.

The fine bracelet is just too busy for the simple dial. It works better on the chronographs. I have one of those in copper as well.

If you can get an original for under $1000 as your numbers convert to, I'd say go. A 556i with bracelet would cost $1300 over here.
    Last edited by Cannonball; November 22nd, 2014 at 02:26.
    excuse the bad iPhone shot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dhtjr View Post
    I briefly owned the 556A, and the size was perfect for my 6.5 wrist. I didn't care for the flat double AR-coated crystal, which constantly smudged and spotted. I ended up selling it and getting a 104. The 556I gets lots of love though, so you will probably like it fine.

By the way, what are your impressions of the Certina you have? Just curious. Thanks.
    Hey,

Thanks for the reply. The Certina is the one that gets the most wrist time due to its size. It's perfect for me and is my most comfortable watch. I bought it because of its similarities to the Tag Carrera Calibre 5 which I couldn't afford at the time (not even now due to the massive price increase).

I think the Sinn will be great to rotate with the Certina. My tastes have changed somewhat recently and I think I've finally come to realise that certain watches in my collection are just too big for me (as much as I love them). I find as we approach winter my skinny wrist just seems to be even thinner! Obviously during the hot months my watches fit better!

I got recommended the Sinn by a forum member way back in 2011 while I was researching the Certina to buy and have had a soft spot for it ever since.

Certina is picking up popularity over here in the UK, when I bought mine I had to buy from Spain as there were no UK dealers but recently I've spotted a few places over here that have started stocking them.

It's a lovely watch, only criticism is the hands and indices are difficult to read in bright light due to the mirrored finish.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    I think the 556i works best on the original (non-fine) bracelet.

I had a 556a and the date window ended up being too small.

The fine bracelet is just too busy for the simple dial. It works better on the chronographs. I have one of those in copper as well.

If you can get an original for under $1000 as your numbers convert to, I'd say go. A 556i with bracelet would cost $1300 over here.
    Thanks for the reply,

I do prefer the original to be honest. I wondered if the introduction of the fine link one was aimed as an improvement as I understand the watch has been around for some years on the original bracelet.

I'll keep hunting on eBay/WUS. A nice example just sold that I had my eye on but I don't like to rush into buying, I enjoy toying with the idea of a new piece until the day comes when I can't resist any longer and think f**k it I'll pull out the credit card ;)

Cheers.

I think you will find the 38.5 mm size able to adapt to a wide variety of sizes and certainly will work with your 6.5 inch wrist. My personal preference is the original bracelet on the A face and the new fine link one on the I but that is all personal preference. Best of luck in your search!

Thanks for the reply, I definitely prefer the I model over the A. The simplicity of the indices is what I love. The A is still gorgeous though!

I'm taking my time before I make my decision although I suspect it will be sooner rather than later.

Usually the case with watches I'm sure you'll agree.

Cheers.

One thing to note also is the I has a glossy face and the date a 3 where the A has a matte face and the date is less noticeable at 4:30.
    Watch Obsessive likes this.

It's a versatile watch for dress, work, or weekend imo.
    It works really well if you have a smaller wrist.
    I usually wear it on the oem Sinn metal bracelet which I think looks best but I've seen it look really nice on black or brown leather straps.
    I see them under $1k USD pretty regularly on this form as well as ebay.

I think it is a great looking watch for folks with a smaller wrist. I picked up mine 2 weeks ago.

I prefer the original bracelet.

556I on a 6" wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Obsessive View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been eyeing up the Sinn 556i for some time now and I'm close to pulling the trigger.

I own a fair amount of watches, some large some small. I find myself always wearing my smaller timepieces and leaving my big boys in the box, I only have a 6.5 inch wrist so anything I own above 42mm I just can't get comfortable with. I can't sell a couple of watches (Hamilton X Wind, 44mm and Seiko Arctura, 46mm) because they were gifts for my 30th and hold too much sentimental value.

I'm rotating 4 regularly; Certina DS1, Steinhart OVM, Orient Mako and Orient Bambino (mainly for dress occasions) but I'm keen to add something else to my collection. I feel the Sinn would be perfect size wise and I love the design.

I understand they've increased their prices recently and have also released another 556i on a different fine link bracelet.

Can anyone give me any feedback on which bracelet is best, original or new?

Also is this watch worth the money? The original bracelet version is £795 and the fine link version is £810, I can't recall how much they were in the UK before the price hike.

I'm always on eBay looking for a nice used example but they don't come up very often.

Thanks for your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information