Hello folks. Timothy Patrick here and time for another U2 update
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Hello folks. Timothy Patrick here and time for another U2 update

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderator Emeritus

Hello folks. Timothy Patrick here and time for another U2 update

Long time no speak guys. I think it's been a year and a half since I came by and pulled up a chair but it's now time to make an appearance as today is the 8th anniversary of the day I took possssion of my beloved U2.

The old timers here know of me and my attempts to document my ownership of my U2. The first post of this was in the ownership experience thread way back on Dec 31, 2005. For the newer sinners here, I've been posting up all kinds of threads and posts as I continued to torture this poor watch as I went about the business of the day. Over the last few years, it's been sporadic to say the least but I did end up putting down a thread or two on how the old lady has been holding up and what it's been through lately.

Over the years, it's seen a ton of abuse. Multiple -45's. +38's. Big time temperature tests. All night -45 to super hot water, I actually strapped the U2 to the canoe rack of my truck at -28c and took it out to Matheson, 75kms. at 90km/h. So, you guys figure out the wind chills. It's been dropped on ice and on cement blocks. It's been everywhere I went and over a period of time, it became a part of me. As much as my old Carhartt bibs. For a period of about 5 years, we were inseparable. I also have a love affair with my old Seiko 6105's and have spend many a day with them strapped to my wrist, especially over the last few years. I've always liked the look and feel of them. Overall though, the U2 is and always will be my favourite. Every time I strap it on, it was like an old friend.

I sold my cab company 4 years ago and got myself in excellent shape and went back underground to do some mining just to see if I can still do it and to prove to myself and the world that I could completely come back from a really bad motorcycle accident in which I was told I'd be on crutches all my life. I just finished my stint of mining, 3 years worth in which I went out on top, with my boots on. The last 14 months, I had my trusty U2 on my wrist. I'll link to the thread explaining this a bit better and in his thread are pics of the U2 and it's really pretty much the same so I won't be putting up pics today on it. Use those pics as the basis for its condition today.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f24/u2-...nd-661368.html

So, how's it holding up? Well.....

Physically
    I have a small dent on the bezel when I dropped it on the edge of a cement block
    I have a scratch on the a/r coating which I garnered somewhere underground, smacking against something
    The bracelet is scratched up beautifully. It's awesome! check out the pics in the underground thread.
    Other than that, it's pretty much new.

Miners typically wear Casio G-shocks and Timex triathalons and stuff like that and go through a ton of them. You won't see expensive mechanical watches anywhere except for Ministry of Labour and other bosses doing a tour but I guarantee that any other metal watch would not have held up anywhere a good a this sub steel one.

Performance
    Ok, it's been 8 years and about 20,000 hours of wrist time in all conditions and it's been beaten and battered beyond anything the Sinn engineers would have considered possible in the real world and seen things no watch should ever see. So.....

Right now, it's running fast. How much, about a minute and a half a day. One day, it ran about 2 minutes fast. That's after 20,000 hours. The copper sulphate capsules are bluish but not a bright blue. They have a blue tinge to them. I will try to photograph this and put the pics up sometime this week.

I wear my U2 about 4 hours a week now on average but a few weeks ago, I did wear it all the time. I have all the watches I have ever bought. Never sold any. Of all the watches, the only ones I seem to wear are the U2, a casio wave-ceptor and an original 1983 g-shock (motorcycling) and my 6105's. Of all of these the only ones that still make me warm and fuzzy are the 6105's and the U2.

I would never give up any of my watches but those are close to my heart. Of all of them, the U2 has garnered more interest and respect. Listing the technological advances leaves the listeners speachless,

I guess it will be time for a spa treatment and a gas and capsule refill. Sinn, you out there? How bout a freebie? hahah.

I haven't been around the forums for years but the last time I was, this U2 was the most thoroughly documented watch in the world and I'm sure Sinn couldn't have tested this sweetheart like I did. I think I proved their tech is not just marketing but real and practical technological advancements necessary to allow extreme and prolonged use in extreme environmental and climactic conditions.

Can't think of anything else to put now now, maybe something will come to mind later. Anyway, that's about it for now. My baby starts, tomorrow, it's ninth year and ...... more updates to follow.

Great to be back. Happy holidays to all you sinners and by all means consume mass quantities tonight!!

Happy New Year!!!
    You friend, Tim

Re: Hello folks. Timothy Patrick here and time for another U2 update

welcome back, old timer! Glad to see you're well and have your boots firmly on the ground. I assume your local T Hortons has named a table after you?
    I think Sinn should keep your U2 for their museum with a written history of the watch, after sending you a new one.
    All the best for the new year.
    Dufresne likes this.

We are glad you checked in, Tim! Thanks for the update. Both you and your U2 are amazing! Cheers, Bill P.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the update, Tim! Glad to hear that you and the U2 are well.
    *Nick*
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor souls who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat " - Theodore Roosevelt

It's good to see you're doing well, Tim. Any chance that your U2 will see a spa in 2014?

Good to hear from you Tim!

For the newer members; Tim was one of the most trusted pillars - and a moderator - of this community but then took a sabbatical.

I'm glad to hear your voice again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Koerfgen View Post
    Good to hear from you Tim!

For the newer members; Tim was one of the most trusted pillars - and a moderator - of this community but then took a sabbatical.

I'm glad to hear your voice again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    What a truly fantastic testimony to Sinn & WUS!
    This, in my view, is where the true value in Forums lies and your post Tim, does nothing but reassure me in banking on my U1 as a real daily, do anything, go anywhere see me out watch, wearing it without fear of battle scars & for once, not having one eye on the future sale.

Just excellent. Thanks
    .....just ride

Tim...thanks for the update. The documentary of your time with the U2 was a huge contributing factor to why I purchased a U1. I hope that your latest anniversary with the Sinn is just one of many to come.

It's great to hear how you are doing Tim. Glad to hear the U2 is still your companion and used as it should be.

Is this the famous "Tim got his boots back" Timothy Patrick? Wow! Shortly after having purchased my UX I read through "The Unofficial Sinn U series ownership experience thread and fell more deeply in love with my UX. I do not use the word love lightly. I will never part with this watch, that is until I leave this world.

If this is the famous "Tim got his boots back", thank you for that great thread and for helping to make this forum what it is today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information