HELP! I think I broke my 756 S UTC... =(

Thread: HELP! I think I broke my 756 S UTC... =(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP! I think I broke my 756 S UTC... =(

OK - brief recap of recent events.

I have owned my Sinn 756 S UTC since February 2006 and have pretty much been wearing it non-stop since (can't get it off of my wrist!).

On Saturday, after the gym, I took a shower with it on - its water resistant right?!? and I didn't feel comfortable leaving it in the locker.

I didn't wear it on Sunday at all - so it was starting to slow down by Monday. To start it up, I did the "Slap the watch against my palm" technique to get the rotor going (hey - the guys at the watch shops do this too). I did this a few times and then reset the time. (Don't you just love hearing that rotor spin?)

Anyways - now the watch runs about 5 mins fast per HOUR!! ARGH!!

Could it be some water got in the watch?? Or did I just pound it against my palm too hard?? I could hear the rotor spinning pretty vigorously...

What should I do? I'm currently letting my 756 rest and stop completely before trying to start it up again. I won't be hitting it against my wrist as hard either.

If anyone has any suggestions - please let me have them. I just hope I don't have to send it back to Sinn for repair...

Re: HELP! I think I broke my 756 S UTC... =(

5 minutes fast per hour? Probably a tangled hairspring. Very rare, but it does happen.
    It doesn't neccesarily have to be a hard shock for this to happen, just the "right" shock.

An easy fix by any watchmaker (thank god there's no argon).

Best not to shake or hit the watch to get it going, just wind the crown...

Why not just let the power reserve run out, wind-it up again, let it run out again before using it?
    Happened to one of them seikos (10 mins every day) but the problem went away...
    Not sure if my was due to a tangled spring tho...
    In the company of Sinners -
    103 Hd, 142 Ti , 142 Sch, EZM1 LE/3/4, 356, 900, U1, U1 Black, U2, 6100 Regulateur, Lufft-Mechanica.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

yeah, that's what I'm doing now - letting the power reserve run dry, and then see if winding it up manually helps any. hope so - otherwise off to a watch repair shop...

i used to have a chrono with 7750 that does the same thing (5 min fast per hr or something like that) O|

the problem didn't go about with run-out-of-power-and-wind-up-again

people told me the main spring was out of wrack. i didn't have to time and patient to get it fixed and sold it as is (with full disclosure of the problem).

and i don't quite understand the "hit against the palm" method to start up the watch? :-S

why not just swing it side to side (instead of shocking the watch by hitting it against the palm)?

Quote Originally Posted by ATAR1
    To start it up, I did the "Slap the watch against my palm" technique to get the rotor going (hey - the guys at the watch shops do this too). I did this a few times and then reset the time. (Don't you just love hearing that rotor spin?)

depends on what you mean by a slap. any watch salesman that would slap a watch in an attempt to start it up should be beaten. this is not a recommended procedure for winding. a light shaking is acceptable to see that the movement is working but crown winding initally is always best. a light tap will get the rotor free spinning (unfortunately free spinning means not winding) you may get a couple of turns in the winding direction with a tap but i wouldn't make a habit out of it. most watches wind in one direction and free spin in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtvictim
    any watch salesman that would slap a watch in an attempt to start it up should be beaten.
    My experience that my own knowledge of watches (traditions, styles available, technical specs - not necessarily movement details though) far exceeds that of the average sales person ... I would not consider them an authority how to treat a watch.

The fact is, if hit at just the right angle, a mechanical watch can be thrown off by several minutes per hour. Fortunately this is not a routine event, but I had this happen to my watches twice.

When the going gets tough, Crusader goes quartz.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    My experience that my own knowledge of watches (traditions, styles available, technical specs - not necessarily movement details though) far exceeds that of the average sales person ... I would not consider them an authority how to treat a watch.
    the same goes for car saleman ... lol :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    The fact is, if hit at just the right angle, a mechanical watch can be thrown off by several minutes per hour. Fortunately this is not a routine event, but I had this happen to my watches twice.
    is it a 1 time event (off by several minute and thats it) or is it keep running several minutes fast EVERY hr (just like what the original poster mentioned)?

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92
    is it a 1 time event (off by several minute and thats it) or is it keep running several minutes fast EVERY hr (just like what the original poster mentioned)?
    The latter.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

gra

Quote Originally Posted by ATAR1
    (hey - the guys at the watch shops do this too)
    bizarre

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information