Help with Sinn 556 decision

Thread: Help with Sinn 556 decision

Help with Sinn 556 decision

Good morning watch fans. I'm looking for some help making up my mind on a Sinn 556i purchase. Hopefully I came to the right place.

I really like everything about the watch, with one small reservation about the size (I know - bet you haven't heard that one before). Before the forum police get upset, I have done some pretty extensive searching of these fora, as well as looking at every wrist shot, review and size comparison out there on the world wide web. All of the pictures, descriptions and opinions I've seen to-date still leave me in some doubt. I guess you never really know until you get to handle a watch.

What would be REALLY helpful is to see a side-by-side picture of a Sinn 556 with another watch or two I am familiar with physically. Next to a Stowa Flieger (standard 40mm version), Archimede Pilot 39mm, or Muhle Terrasport II (40mm) for example. I have a 6.75 inch wrist, of the flatter variety, and find these reference watches to be a good fit for me. I know the Sinn 556 is close in case diameter and height, but the bezel seems to be slightly chunkier. In my experience, the most critical factor in the appearance of a watch is the size of the dial, not the case. Any pictures or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively, if anyone lives in the Los Angeles area and has a Sinn 556 they would like to show off, that would be even better.

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Help with Sinn 556 decision

I don't have any of those watches, but are you worried about it being too small or too big? It should fit you perfectly based on my gut assumptions of your post.
    Best,
    Chuck

Seiko SRP777 | Halios Puck II

Quote Originally Posted by cb23 View Post
    I don't have any of those watches, but are you worried about it being too small or too big? It should fit you perfectly based on my gut assumptions of your post.
    Worried about it being a touch too small. I've had Archimede Pilot 39H and Stowa Antea 390 watches that wore big because of the very thin bezel. Even so, they were about as small as I could imagine going. With this being a fraction smaller, and having a thicker bezel (I think), I'm wondering if it would work. It's tough to tell from other people's wrist shots. I'm thinking a side-by-side shot with another watch I know well would be the best indicator. Thanks for your reply.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LH2

I own currently, or have owned in the past, all 4 watches you mention - 556, Terrasport II, Stowa Flieger, and Archimede Pilots in 39 (and 42). My wrist is also 6.75"...

To me, the TII (48mm L2L) and Stowa (48.6mm L2L) wear about the same, and the cases are very similar.

Compared to those two, the Archie 39 has a little stubbier lugs in proportion to the (smaller to begin with) case diameter and wears smaller. The 556 has a slightly thicker bezel (so correspondingly less dial surface) than the Archimede 39. As a result, it wears a little smaller. Both of these measure 45mm lug-to-lug, but the Archimede appears a little larger on the wrist.

Hope this helps.
    Archimede | Damasko | Defakto | Fortis | Glycine | Hamilton | Junghans | Laco | Limes | Oris | Sinn | Stowa | Tutima

Banned

I just got a Stowa Flieger (Ikarus) and used to own a Sinn 556A and a Muhle Terrasport II (older white dial model). As LH2 said, both the Stowa and the Muhle wear on the large side for a 40 (at least I thought my white-dial Muhle did), which is not necessarily a problem for a pilot style watch I guess. The Stowa has a 35mm dial, which is pretty large, and I would say it wears more like a 41-42. I thought the Sinn 556A at 38.5 wore a little bit small on my 6.5 wrist, and you may feel likewise. These are always tough decisions because diameter is just one factor and web wrist shots often distort. Sorry no pics.

Thanks for the responses. I have on an Archimede 39H today and am looking at it thinking I wouldn't really want it to be any smaller. The 556 is beautiful but I may need to pass. I'd toyed with getting the limited edition white dial (thinking it would wear slightly larger), but I prefer the look of the original by far. You guys have helped confirm my suspicions that it may just be a tad too small. Would love to be able to handle one to know for sure.

Banned

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 556 on bracelet will have a bit more wrist presence than on strap. I sold my 556A not so much for the smaller size, but more because I am a bit of a strap junkie, and I found that most of my custom straps rubbed against the case, as the lugs on the 556 are short. I also didn't like the exterior AR on the flat crystal, which was always spotting and smudging. So if you like bracelets, I think 38.5 Sinns like the 556 or the 356 will work just fine. In fact, one of my grail watches is the 356 with copper dial, on bracelet; love that watch.

Thread Information