How is the 104 a "Pilot Watch?"
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By phydaux
  • 2 Post By phydaux

Thread: How is the 104 a "Pilot Watch?"

I REALLY like the looks of the 104. I find the styling very classic and sporty. And I LOVE Day & Date at 3:00. But I notice that on the Sinn web page they list the 104 as a Pilot Watch. How is that? The styling, to my eyes, is a Dive Watch.

What makes Sinn call this a Pilot Watch?
    Lix_Tetrax likes this.

Re: How is the 104 a "Pilot Watch?"

Because it looks a lot like this...

Name:  bund_heuer_3h_smallcircle.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  41.2 KB
    What's he building in there?...I'll tell you one thing, He's not building a playhouse for the children.

I'd say that looks more like a 103 than a 104.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Id say it has to do with A: thats what Sinn calls it and B: that it has a countdown bezel rather than an elapsed time that a diver would.

Edit: also the bezel might be bi-directional. I don’t recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned above, the bezel graduation, functionality, and to some extent the case shape are what define the 104 as pilot's *style* watch.

Above all else, the bezel is calibrated for count down i.e. set the marker to when your next maneuver must be preformed (or when you'll be out of gas maybe). To facilitate this functionality, setting the bezel to mark new way-points multiple times in a mission, its best to have one that turns in both directions to move it more quickly. You wouldn't want this on a diver.

Finally, pointing more to Sinn's history as a military aviator supplier, the design of the lugs are reminiscent of its early bund pieces. However, this is less of a defining characteristic, as the design language has been crossed over most notably to some of their mission-timer (EZM) dive specific watches (EZM 3, 13, and most recent Artiks dive chrono revival)

Hope this helps
    IG: @Oedipusflexx

OK, count down bezel rather than elapsed time bezel, and it is bi-directional instead of uni-directional. OK, that makes sense. Thank you.
    OedipusFlex and Lix_Tetrax like this.

I'm a military aviator and to my mind the classic "pilot watch" is a Sinn 903 (i.e. Breitling Navitimer with slide rule to do common flight related math). Or pick another chronograph with functions which might help in flight (flyback function, tachymeter, etc).

The 104 has a countdown bezel which you can use for a number of things in flight like navigation or timing an instrument approach procedure. I think the arabic version is also much closer to what a traditional pilot's watch would look like.

Thread Information