How hard is it to damage chronograph by pushing pushers in wrong sequence?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mitchjrj
  • 1 Post By sticky
  • 1 Post By Camguy

Thread: How hard is it to damage chronograph by pushing pushers in wrong sequence?

How hard is it to damage chronograph by pushing pushers in wrong sequence?

Total noob question here, but as I consider my next Sinn as a chronograph, I’m wondering how easy they can be damaged by “stupid”, something I’m good at.

I’ve heard of two ways, setting the date at night, and pushing the reset while the chronograph is running.

If I space out, how hard is it to cause damage? Do you feel “resistance” and have a chance to say “oops” before damaging? Or is it unforgiving and you’re instantly screwed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: How hard is it to damage chronograph by pushing pushers in wrong sequence?

“Stupid, something I’m good at.”

That gave m a chuckle.

As to your first question (date set at night) that is very real and very easy at least with the Valjoux 7750. There is an interesting video by a watchmaker that shows exactly why, although I can’t recall the detail. The issue isn’t setting at night but rather during the time when the date gearing can be in mid-change, which will vary by movement. Anywhere between 10pm and 2am can be risky.

Personally when I set a watch with date I first put the hour hand to around 6:00...or really anywhere in the southern hemisphere. That guarantees the movement is not in that witching period. Then I’ll adjust the date to the day before (say the 18th if I were setting today) and spin the time until it changes to the current day. That way I know it’s AM and can go from there.

As to the second question about the chrono pushers I have heard that but never delved deeper so am interested in the response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    nodnar likes this.

I’m the king of stupid so I set ALL my watches to 6:30 (OCD?) before changing the date and that way I can’t bend anything. TBH I’ve never heard of any damage being caused by operating the chrono pushers in the wrong order and you can bet that if this were possible I would have done it by now.
    nodnar likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I also set my watches with the hour hand at 6 and then alter the day/date before moving the hands through to the correct day.

Depends on the movement but typically after 6-8pm I'll simply wait to date change after I get up the next day.

Very easy to cause damage.... just don't do these two things and you should be fine!!! :-D

Maybe I've just been lucky so far, but I've pushed the reset button on my EZM13 while the chrono is running and did'n hurt anything. Mind you, I didn't try to force anything, I stopped when I felt resistance, but no harm no foul.
    nodnar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Camguy View Post
    Maybe I've just been lucky so far, but I've pushed the reset button on my EZM13 while the chrono is running and did'n hurt anything. Mind you, I didn't try to force anything, I stopped when I felt resistance, but no harm no foul.
    Thank you.

Thread Information