How much is Sinn 556I really worth?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How much is Sinn 556I really worth?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How much is Sinn 556I really worth?

Hello everyone.
    Long time lurker first time poster!

I am currently looking to purchase my first real expensive (sort of) watch that i have been looking at for a few months now.
    Sinn 556 I would be my perfect watch because it has all the features i need in a watch. Before i move on i will mention that my
    only other watch is Seiko Monster SRP307. What I love about my monster is that its waterproof, keeps pretty decent time for an auto, and it has an amazing lume. Its also very legible in the sense that even the quickest glance at it can tell me what time it is. It has survived many bumps on the wall and concrete with minimum scratches. It has been my go to watch daily and almost a perfect daily beater. The one big down side of this watch that i dont like is the weight. Its hefty and also a diver making it not that great of an office job duty. I am looking for something of similar features that would cover everything i need in a watch. With the Sinn556I i get a screw down crown watch that has a legible dial and lume. Its german and quality should be pretty damn good as well. Its a lot lighter than my seiko and i can also put it on a nato strap when i go swimming. It would pair up nicer with my office clothes too.

Now here is my problem. Seeing and reading all the reviews on the Sinn556I everyone seem to think its the best bang for the buck watch for about $1200. Now the problem is I live in Canada and with our dollar being somewhat low right now as well as the import duities and taxes this watch would end up costing me close to $2k. Now i already looked at buying used but i am really concerned with buying from someone i don't know over the internet. I managed to get a quote from a store in Tornoto (louis black) and after shipping and taxes its pretty close to 2k. Now is this watch still worth the money going into the 2k range? Please heeeelp!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Vincente; March 3rd, 2015 at 20:25.

Re: How much is Sinn 556I really worth?

Only you can decide what "worth it" means to you. For me personally, the 556 doesn't quite have enough of Sinn's amazing technology or enough complications for me to justify it's cost relative to the other models that do have such tech. For some other folks the beautiful spartan Bauhaus design, coupled with Sinn's unique niche in the watch world, and their record of customer service is totally enough to justify it. Only you can make that determination.
    LH2 likes this.
    We stole the Eagle from the Air Force; the Anchor from the Navy; the Rope from the Army, and on the seventh day when God rested, we overran His perimeter and
    stole the Globe, and have been protecting our shores ever since.

United States Marines.

Banned

I had a 556 for a while but flipped it for a 104. And while value is a subjective determination, especially in the world of watches, I don't think the 556 is worth 2K CAD. Given the exchange rates and duties you face, I would look closely at Damasko DA34 or DA36/38 (CAD 1500 from Watchmann in U.S. or CAD 1160 direct from Damasko), Stowa no-logo/no-date Flieger (CAD 986), or Archimede Outdoor Protect (CAD 1000 on bracelet from Watchmann in U.S. or CAD 833 from Archimede). The quoted CAD prices are as of today's conversion rates, of course not including any shipping and Canadian customs fees. I'm not knocking the 556; just saying you should look around more.
    Last edited by dhtjr; March 4th, 2015 at 01:28.
    LH2 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are way too many used ones in the 800 dollar range to spend close to 2k on one IMO.

Find one lightly used, save a ton of money, and you won't have to stress about putting that first little mark on a brand new watch.
    gaopa likes this.

I'd sniff around a little more and get one from a reputable seller here on the forums. Lotta friendly folk in these parts, so just do your homework, "buy" the seller, and you can anticipate a smooth transaction.

Personally, at 2K, I'd be looking to get a lot more of Sinn's proprietary tech, or at least a 103 chronograph.
    gaopa likes this.

Agree with what others have said. I just received my 556i from WatchBuys and it is everything I wanted. The size is perfect for my wrist and it looks great with office attire....honestly I can't stop looking at it. I felt it was worth the $1,260 USD that I paid for it (with bracelet) along with the factory warranty. Had the price been several hundred USD higher, I would have probably looked to the secondary market to save some dough and just vetted the seller.
    www.coldwartourist.com - Exploring ruins & relics of the Cold War

You guys sure make some good points. I will look at some other brands as well. I didnt even know about Archimede.
    Thank you so much!

Greetings from a fellow Canadian I went shopping for a watch to suit a Himalayan trek and Sinn was the only brand with the reputation and technologies to suit the purpose. Bought a virtually-new EZM3 hassle-free from a forum member and found the watch to be fantastic - it has become my daily wearer in preference to others costing much more. Sinn represents IMHO a great argument for value vs cost. LOL, here is an action shot from a recent issue of WatchTime...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tick Talk says, "A watch in the hand is worth two on the wrist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tick Talk View Post
    Greetings from a fellow Canadian I went shopping for a watch to suit a Himalayan trek and Sinn was the only brand with the reputation and technologies to suit the purpose. Bought a virtually-new EZM3 hassle-free from a forum member and found the watch to be fantastic - it has become my daily wearer in preference to others costing much more. Sinn represents IMHO a great argument for value vs cost. LOL, here is an action shot from a recent issue of WatchTime...
    That's Awesome!!

It's great looking, but it's an entry level Sinn.

Some good deals to be had on the used market, but I wouldn't pay full price.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information