How to remove bracelet

Thread: How to remove bracelet

How to remove bracelet

Sinners,I recently purchased my first serious watch. Proudly an 857 UTC with the tegimented bracelet. Very happy with it. To go with it I ordered a couple of straps from Greg Stevens. In the mean time I was going to put a rubber strap on it from another watch.The watch comes with the Sinn pin and screw tool, but .... I broke it. This was my first attempt at bracelet removal. Does anyone have a reference they could point me to for the steps in completing the swap? A video or step by step would be greatly appreciated.Also, does anyone know if WatchBuys sells a replacement tool/ pin head?Thank you much.

Re: How to remove bracelet

The Sinn tool is a POS and you will have to go through Sinn to get replacement bits. The bracelet is difficult to remove and/or install. I don't have any video links unfortunately. This link was just recently discussing the same issue.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f24/hel...et-911692.html

I have the Bergeon 6825 "pliers", and they make bracelet removal and installation a breeze! Got the tool from Otto Frei Call 1-510-832-0355 For Watch Parts a few years ago.
    This link is a good illustration of how to use the 6825:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/how...rs-126195.html

You can also get replacement fork tips in different sizes to fit different bracelets (The replacement smaller forks are necessary for some bracelets, especially Rolex. You can buy a Bergeon 6825PF, which has the smaller forks installed as standard.) The tool isn't cheap, but it's by far the easiest and most scratch-free way to remove and install bracelets!

One thing to note - it is MUCH easier if you first unscrew one bracelet link, so the bracelet can lie flat on both the 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock sides during removal and installation.

Steve

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks a ton for the replies. I learned a lot in the last few hours, and those comments help too.

if the watch has no lug holes and a tight-fitting solid end link, it's always tough to get the bracelet on and off. The plier tool helps though it didn't work very well for me, the small forks were still too big and I didn't want to grind them down. So I just use the 6111 tool and dislodge one side and held it so the end couldn't pop back in, then went to the other side and dislodge it while holding the first side out. Sounds complicated but it gets easier with practice. Manual dexterity is required.

After dislodging the first side there a small gap will open between the solid end link and the case on the dislodged side. You can use the corner of a matchbook or a toothpick to keep that side of the end link held away from the watch. Then you can work on the opposite lug. The whole thing will slide straight out and your wooden toothpick will fall away.

A bit of an update.

I called Watchbuys, and they do not sell the watch tool first of all. Not a deal breaker, but I was really trying to keep my watch complete with all accompanying pieces (Yes it is my first "big" watch and that meant something to me.)

The best advice I got was use a paper clip. Having the drilled lug holes it is a perfect fit. From there is is just a matter of:
    1. Disconnect the bracelet at the clasp to lay flat (thanks for that advice)
    2. Inserting the paperclip from the outside of the lug hole all the way in
    3. At the same time: gently apply pressure up (toward the case back if it is crystal down) on the band while slowly withdrawing the paperclip
    4. Repeat for the other side

Then I learned not to put shoulder-less spring-bars in to another watch that does not have drilled lug holes.
    - Go me.

Thank you again for all the responses.

I also have an 857 UTC that I got with the bracelet and the leather strap. After breaking the included spring bar pin also and another pin on a cheap Chinese spring bar tool, I bought a Bergeon tool from Otto Frei. It was worth every penny, very well made and I bought replacement tips too. Yes, I also find removing the bracelet a little tricky, once I got a decent tool, it did go much easier. At least the pin holes on the Sinn are easy to locate the pins into. I have a steel bracelet for a Lum-Tec that I have never worn because I have never been able to line up the pins with the holes. Apparently Lum-Tec bends the spring bars to ease installation when they install them at the factory.

Thread Information