I am disappointed with the worksmanship of my st103

Thread: I am disappointed with the worksmanship of my st103

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry I am disappointed with the worksmanship of my st103

I had bought my Sinn st103 about 3 years ago and hardly wear it which less than 8 times .last week I was about to clean my watch and the 4'oclock crown bottom just dropped off from it and I am shock ?

And wondering wore less than 8 times ,but the warrantry is expiry and is this worksmanship quality is bad and the watch dealer is going to charge me for that ! I do not think is fare for comsumer like us having to bear the worksmanship charges which we had taken extra care for branded watch !

I would like the Sinn manufacturer to look into this matter.

have anyone out there have the same problem ?

Re: I am disappointed with the worksmanship of my st103

Quote Originally Posted by ken88sg View Post
    I do not think is fare for comsumer like us having to bear the worksmanship charges which we had taken extra care for branded watch !

-Tough luck. I agree with your sentiment that things like this should not happen; quality control should have caught this watch before it left Sinn, if it indeed turns out that the assembly was not done right or the component(s) used were faulty.

However, I do have to disagree with your opinion that Sinn should fix it for free; the warranty period is expired, after all, and if the watch had been used more often throughout this period, the defect would have been discovered (and fixed!) under warranty.

That being said, if Sinn checks the watch and finds that there was indeed something wrong with the components used, I would not be surprised if they fixed it for free, warranty or not. I've never had any issues with my 656, but I've read of a lot of people who are impressed by Sinn's commitment to customer satisfaction.

Please let us know how it turns out in the end.

Good luck!
    --
    -Odd Erling - Aalesund, Norway

Breitling Chrono Shark, Sinn 656, Omegas PlanetOcean 42mm (2201.50), 'Great White' (2538.20) and Speedmaster Professional (3572.50). Incoming: Apollo-Soyuz Speedmaster!

I had bought my Sinn st103 about 3 years ago and hardly wear it which less than 8 times .last week I was about to clean my watch and the 4'oclock crown bottom just dropped off from it and I am shock ?

And wondering wore less than 8 times ,but the warrantry is expiry and is this worksmanship quality is bad and the watch dealer is going to charge me for that ! I do not think is fare for comsumer like us having to bear the worksmanship charges which we had taken extra care for branded watch !

have anyone out there have the same problem ?
    I also have an 103 st, i wear it most of the time and have no problems with it.
    I even wear it under the shower and at the swimming pool.
    Only set back is that the plastic glass scratches, but i can live with that.
    I wear it on my right arm so it isn't babied, sorry to hear of your problem.

Greetings, [email protected]
    Last edited by [email protected]; August 12th, 2008 at 17:02. Reason: Photo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's too bad about your watch but that's how warranties work, sorry.

I've owned a 103 ST SA UTC for a bit over a year. Wear it daily including to the gym, backpacking trip, work, etc. It has been from sea level to 12,500 feet. I have had no problems with the watch. I use the chronographic function several times a month. Watch keeps time to +1-2 minutes/month (2-4 sec/day). I have had no problems with either the quality of the watch or its workmanship.

I would contact the AD or Sinn, explain what happened and see what they say.

Banned

The level of workmanship or quality control does not matter. Even if just one watch is faulty from a years production, somebody will buy it. Unfortunately, it happened to you, Ken88 .
    Unfortunately 2, you did not give the watch enough wrist time, so the fault happened after the warranty time. If you had worn the watch as intended, the fault would have surfaced the second week of your ownership.
    If you follow this Sinn Forum, you must notice how little these things happen.
    I am sorry for you,
    Janne

[quote=OddE;1221334]-Tough luck. I agree with your sentiment that things like this should not happen; quality control should have caught this watch before it left Sinn, if it indeed turns out that the assembly was not done right or the component(s) used were faulty.

However, I do have to disagree with your opinion that Sinn should fix it for free; the warranty period is expired, after all, and if the watch had been used more often throughout this period, the defect would have been discovered (and fixed!) under warranty.

That being said, if Sinn checks the watch and finds that there was indeed something wrong with the components used, I would not be surprised if they fixed it for free, warranty or not. I've never had any issues with my 656, but I've read of a lot of people who are impressed by Sinn's commitment to customer satisfaction.

I myself ownd OMEGA seamater for almost 8 year everyday ,which with stand knocks etc.. is still supper..workmanship !

How do you compare this problem ? why is my OMEGA crown never cmoes out ??

I have wrote to Sinn .de and got no reply/answer thats amazing !!!!

But lucky to my Sinapore HG watch dealer which managed my expectional case on BEHALF of Sinn to repair for "FREE' and also no the money thats counts all the time is the is the quality of the wtach how could it happen this way.

-True, and that is not what I had expected from Sinn. Providing prompt answers to their customers ought to be very, very close to being their #1 priority...

But lucky to my Sinapore HG watch dealer which managed my expectional case on BEHALF of Sinn to repair for "FREE' and also no the money thats counts all the time is the is the quality of the wtach how could it happen this way.
    ...but I am glad it worked out for you in the end; however, I'd claim that one bad experience does not say much about the level of workmanship. I've been following this forum for a while, and there are few problems reported. Matter of fact, compared with the Omega forum, it appears that a smaller proportion of the posts relate to problems with the watches here than over in the Omega forum.

Anyway - I own both Omegas and a Sinn, and I am only days away from ordering my 2nd Sinn - the first one (a 656) did not disappoint, and I am looking forward to receiving my second (a 6066) for Christmas. :)

(Oh, and a picture or two of your repaired 103 would be most appreciated, if you have the opportunity to post a few. :))
    --
    -Odd Erling - Aalesund, Norway

Breitling Chrono Shark, Sinn 656, Omegas PlanetOcean 42mm (2201.50), 'Great White' (2538.20) and Speedmaster Professional (3572.50). Incoming: Apollo-Soyuz Speedmaster!

[QUOTE=ken88sg;1310634]
    Quote Originally Posted by OddE View Post
    -Tough luck. I agree with your sentiment that things like this should not happen; quality control should have caught this watch before it left Sinn, if it indeed turns out that the assembly was not done right or the component(s) used were faulty.

I myself ownd OMEGA seamater for almost 8 year everyday ,which with stand knocks etc.. is still supper..workmanship !

How do you compare this problem ? why is my OMEGA crown never cmoes out ??

I'm with Odd on this one, even if his starter "Tough Luck" must have rubbed salt into your wounds.

But after three years the warranty is expired, plain and simple.
    That was part of the contract that you entered into when you bought the watch and you should not be upset when you are charged for repairs afterwards, notwithstanding how infrequently your wore the watch.
    But apparently this was not the case, was it?
    I understand your Singapore dealer fixed the watch for free.

The behaviour of many complex machines follows a "Bathtub Curve" ( See: http://www.weibull.com/hotwire/issue21/hottopics21.htm ) and watches too tend to fall into this category. If you have worn the watch only 8 times in three years, as you stated, it is likely that the defect would have surfaced within the warranty period if you had used the watch regularly. That you choose to wear the watch infrequently was your choice and I would not expect an extension of the warranty period because someone chooses the wear the watch only once every 20 weeks.

As far as your contacting Sinn is concerned, what exactly did you expect from Sinn after the warranty had expired and a pusher had come off?
    After all this is one of the minor mishaps that can be fixed easily and on most models would not take more than 20 minutes to fix a new tube and crown.
    Watches with dehumidifying technology or oil filled cases are obviously at a disadvantage here, as they would need to be sent to Germany.

And yes, I can tell you that these things do also happen on Omega and Breitling watches. I had to have a movement on a Speedmaster Pro exchanged under warranty within a year, and had to have a Breitling Cosmonaute exchanged the day after I bought it because crown and winding stem had come loose. I have had pushers (I presume this is the crown at 4 o'clock that you are referring to) come off too. Trust me, no big deal.
    It may have been inconvenient, but I did not consider it more than a minor nuisance.

I once tried to find out through a poll on this Forum whether Sinn watches experience more mechanical problems within the warranty period than others and based on the replies of Forum members it did not appear to be the case.

K.
    Last edited by Kurt Koerfgen; September 20th, 2008 at 16:08. Reason: It appears the original poster was referring to a pusher, not crown.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

Chrono pushers broke twice in 5-6 years, watch very rarely worn

I myself have my 103 St Sa since 2002 (bought new then) and twice the chrono pushers fell off, that is broke without usage.
    I was told that the screw-down pushers of the 103 were made a tad too thin. The 2nd time I've ordered 2 sets of spare parts, just to have one more if the worst should happen.
    Not a cheap maintenance though.
    Otherwise watch is usable.
    If count-up lunette should be re-introduced for this model and lunette had 120 ratchets instead of 60 (half-minutely instead of minutely) I'd think to buy the updated version too - don't know about any up-grading of the chrono pushers.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards: Robertus
    Last edited by Robertus; October 18th, 2008 at 16:48.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information