Issue with my U-2

Thread: Issue with my U-2

Masterdiver

Issue with my U-2

I am a bit perplexed about an issue with my 3-4 month old U-2 and surprised by the answers I am getting from the vendor I purchased it from, a very well known AD.

My U-2 has a 2nd time zone hand (I have to keep things simple for me mainly). I never used it.

Another member has my watch presently and got back to me that the 2nd zone is OFF by 25 minutes at least. I never noticed it as I never used it.

So, thinking something is wrong (since the member thought so and so did another who saw it), I contacted the distributor and he tells me that that is "normal". It has to be off by at least "one position" to be allowed to go back for adjustment. In fact, he said:

"Sinn will not work on the second time zone indicator unless it is visibly off by one position or more, since alignments can a do change as the watch is worn."

Further, he said:

"It's all about tolerances.

A mechanical watch cannot line up perfectly, and the indications themselves do shift over time. If on a GMT watch the indicator is off by 1 hour or more, that should be adjusted after a break in period for three months.

If the indicator is off by :20 - :25 minutes, that is within tolerance. As you turn the main hour hand, you should in fact see that during some hours the second time zone is closer to the correct hour."

Hello? What can you tell me about this, this bugs me but then again, I have not inspected my watch for myself, I am however getting it back shortly.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Masterdiver; June 30th, 2006 at 01:35.

gra

Re: Issue with my U-2

Quote Originally Posted by Masterdiver
    I am a bit perplexed about an issue with my 3-4 month old U-2 and surprised by the answers I am getting from the vendor I purchased it from, a very well known AD.

My U-2 has a 2nd time zone hand (I have to keep things simple for me mainly). I never used it.

Another member has my watch presently and got back to me that the 2nd zone is OFF by 25 minutes at least. I never noticed it as I never used it.

So, thinking something is wrong (since the member thought so and so did another who saw it), I contacted the distributor and he tells me that that is "normal". It has to be off by at least "one position" to be allowed to go back for adjustment. In fact, he said:

"Sinn will not work on the second time zone indicator unless it is visibly off by one position or more, since alignments can a do change as the watch is worn."

Further, he said:

"It's all about tolerances.

A mechanical watch cannot line up perfectly, and the indications themselves do shift over time. If on a GMT watch the indicator is off by 1 hour or more, that should be adjusted after a break in period for three months.

If the indicator is off by :20 - :25 minutes, that is within tolerance. As you turn the main hour hand, you should in fact see that during some hours the second time zone is closer to the correct hour."

Hello? What can you tell me about this, this bugs me but then again, I have not inspected my watch for myself, I am however getting it back shortly.

Thank you.

i think you should politely highlight to him the meaning of the word alignment...its a time measurement device...meant to tell time...not estimate O| (we can do that perfectly without a watch)

How about contacting Sinn directly with the distributor's statement and see what they have to say? I certainly would be dissatisfied by such a tolerance.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Masterdiver

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    How about contacting Sinn directly with the distributor's statement and see what they have to say? I certainly would be dissatisfied by such a tolerance.
    Do you have an address (email) where I can contact Sinn directly? Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterdiver
    Do you have an address (email) where I can contact Sinn directly? Thanks for the advice.
    [email protected] , and your PM mailbox is full and won't accept further messages. You need to delete some of the old stuff.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Masterdiver

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    [email protected] , and your PM mailbox is full and won't accept further messages. You need to delete some of the old stuff.
    Thank you. You were right, I have deleted all! I have emailed Sinn directly as you suggested, so I am expecting a reply shortly.

Bottom line, I bought the watch to keep time and not to have to worry about an "adjustment"? Why should I expect or tolerate the 2nd time zone to be off just because it is mechanical? Gee whiz.

Masterdiver

I thought I might add that the AD did make an offer to send my U-2 back to Germany once we began this dialogue, which was nice of him.:thanks

I owned a U2 a few months back with the same issue from new and a watchmaker friend told me to manually change theGMT hand a few hours forward and then the main time for 72 hours forward, this fixed the problem. The GMT hand lined up again perfectly.
    A very important messure is not to change the date between 9 and 3 AM and PM, this can cause fatal damge to the 2893 movement.
    So don't turn the crown in the wrong direction (change of date) when adjusting the GMT hand between 9 and 3. better not to touch either during that time.
    Daniel
    Last edited by dibetu; July 3rd, 2006 at 02:09.

Masterdiver

Quote Originally Posted by dibetu
    I owned a U2 a few months back with the same issue from new and a watchmaker friend told me to manually change theGMT hand a few hours forward and then the main time for 72 hours forward, this fixed the problem. The GMT hand lined up again perfectly.
    A very important messure is not to change the date between 9 and 3 AM and PM, this can cause fatal damge to the 2893 movement.
    So don't turn the crown in the wrong direction (change of date) when adjusting the GMT hand between 9 and 3. better not to touch either during that time.
    Daniel
    The AD noted this same procedure but I am unclear on the steps to do so. Can someone clarify to me again? I want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

I didn't get a reply from Sinn to my inquiry, but I do know they got it and then they sent my inquiry to the AD instead. I am a bit bugged at that, as a long-time Sinn collector. I would have appreciated a note saying they go my inquiry.... Just a side note.
    Last edited by Masterdiver; July 4th, 2006 at 22:42.

Hi Masterdiver,

i'm not sure if i get your problem right, so excuse me if i'm telling bs now.

The 24h-hand and the normal time can be set without interferring each other. So what happens if you set the 24h-hand first to the correct position and then set the time?

Pulling the crown stops the mvmnt, so it is a goof idea anyway to first set the 24h-hand (wether it tells you local or foreign time) and then the "normal" time indication.

Andi

Thread Information