It's been 6 months since the great meltdown...

Thread: It's been 6 months since the great meltdown...

Moderator Emeritus

It's been 6 months since the great meltdown...

Hi Guys.

Itís been brought to my attention that itís been 6 months since the great database meltdown which completely wiped WUS out. My how time flies eh!! Back in February, we had some nervous times here. I was just a member then and I didnít know what was to become of WUS and all the great postings and offerings which had built up over time. I felt it was a great resource and I thoroughly enjoyed reading a lot of the stuff put up and the informative articles and found myself coming back time after time to gaze at the great watch photos in the galleries.

Ernie Romers, our Adminstrator and owner of Watchuseek and his database tech team really went through hell then. I canít even comprehend what went on behind the scenes but in a few short days, the Watchuseek forums were up again. We lost everything and had to rebuild from scratch. What a daunting undertaking. With so much lost, there was a real fear that a good proportion of the membership might not come back.

Well, I guess we did. We rebuilt this place, thread by thread, post by post, pic by pic. Slowly but surely it came to life again and just continued to grow. Now we have over 5000 members and everyday, more register. The word is out that this is a fantastic watch forum.

Here on the Sinn forum, I was given an opportunity to become a moderator. Martin had put his faith in me to help him moderate this fine forum. I was a little scared at first, with all the long time veteran members and their incredible knowledge base. Martin had said that the guys here are fabulous and are all filled to the brim with common-sense and respect. He told me that very little in the way of moderation is needed here. The members tend to moderate themselves. Boy, he was right!! Aside from a couple of double posts and a sales post here and there, thereís nothing much to do. You guys just keep posting within the rules and are always respectful of others. Thanks guys for being very understanding when I had to make some decisions. It's appreciated more than you could understand.

Itís always very refreshing to come here. This is where I come to unwind.

I really want to thank all of you for continuing your support of Watchuseek and the International Sinn Forum. Martin and I are totally humbled by all your support and kind words. You have all made it very easy for us and have been very easy on us also. Personally, I am honored to be your moderator. A finer membership a moderator couldnít possibly expect. I actually speak of you guys, when talking to my friends about this place, as friends and comrades. I know so much about many of you and I appreciate the fact that you all have allowed us into your lives and let us share in your experiences.

I am taken back now to the period a month or so ago when U2inSpe found his U2. He had been searching for so long and finally won an incredible auction for a U2 with both bracelets. He was extremely happy and allowed up to join in, in his jubilation in acquiring his dream watch. That, to me is what this forum is about. It really touched me.

I am still bowled over by the amount of knowledge regarding the Sinn company and itís offerings, past and present, that this membership has. I seems that any question put up, no matter how obscure, can be answered by someone. Amazing and totally appreciated! It is apparent to me that this is the place to come to get questions answered. Thanks also for putting up your ownership experiences. This is very, very important to those who are looking into purchasing a particular Sinn watch. Ownership experiences are an integral part of what this forum is all about. This is the place to come to find out what these watches are really all about and how they are holding up. Thanks again.

I absolutely appreciate your passion and willingness to continue to frequent this little Sinn village and look forward to logging in everyday to see how everyone is and to see what you all have to say. Thank you so much for all your support and generocity. I canít even put it in words. The proper words escape me. With the recent events surrounding the emergence of the Official Sinn forum on TZ, I am warmed with every post expressing the loyalty to this forum and its membership.

As I said before, thereís nothing broken here so we donít need any grease. Lets just keep on keeping on and thanks so much for your continued support and loyalty. And a big welcome to all of you new Sinners. Thanks for coming by and staying. We really appreciate your input and look forward to answering any and all of your questions.

Thanks to one and all. And thanks Ernie for everything you have done to make this THE watch forum and for giving us a wonderful place to come and discusss watches. We are forever grateful.

Tim
    Last edited by Timothy Patrick; August 11th, 2006 at 11:45.

Re: It's been 6 months since the great meltdown...

Tim, as they say in the Panerai world, you got the passion
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

Good story Tim,

A small world of it's own where you can forget for a short time the things going on in the real world.
    I hope I can enjoy myself for a few years to come.
    Keep on going at that Sinn forum, your stories make nice reading .

Cheers,

Daddel.

PS, if only I could resist logging in at work:-D .
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Tim, I think Ernie, Martin and yourself does a wonderful job in keeping this forum alive with PASSION :thanks

Big T if I may call you that!

You and your pictures are always great fun. Ernie, you, Xtrooper, and all of the moderators are great. I think you guys do a really good job of letting this forum be a place where we feel free to speak our minds and welcome to share our thoughts. There are rules and you guys do a great job of enforcing the rules without censoring or having a big ego trip. All of the moderators seem modest and truly passionate(spelling) about the watches on this forum.

As a resource or general reference for making an informed buying choice this forum is spectacular! I would not know of my two favorite watch brands without this forum and the many catergories within! Personal experiences are great as are the real world pictures! Also thee way the forum is structured and set up is so logical and easy to navigate. It is simply the best forum I have ever been a part of. I have met a few people from this forum in the real world and I consider those whom I have interacted with on a few occasions friends.

Lets face it there are not that many watch nuts like us out there. I mean in any given geographical location it is not as easy to find many people who have ever heard of Stowa, Doxa, Sinn, etc. They do not share our passion for excellent design and watchmaking. So it is a real treasure to find likeminded people who get to talk watches!!

I have bought and sold many times from people on this forum and have had many positive experiences.

I just can't say enough about how great I think this forum is. There is only one problem as I see it. My dissapearing bank account balance!!

Tim, it is you and the other moderators and Ernie who make all of this possible and we as members are very greatful for all you do everyday!!

Keep up the good work and thanks!!

Robert
    Damasko DA38, Marathon Gsar (medium)

Let us hope another meltdown never happens again.
    ToddH

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

Moderator Emeritus

No Kidding Todd, I couldn't bear another one!! It does look like the proper steps were taken to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Patrick
    No Kidding Todd, I couldn't bear another one!! It does look like the proper steps were taken to ensure that this doesn't happen again.
    Seems the best "proper steps" taken are the ones that were taken last time.
    Hang in there, rebuild, count on faithful forum participants.
    You guys know how to do it, we enjoy being part of the forum - Sinn, and others.

I echo comments made Robert - there seem to be very few persons with whom I am in contact, locally in a metro area of 9 million that share a passion about fine mechanical time pieces - such as Sinn. If there was a place and a time locally - I'd be there. I know there are several here from Chicago area, even up into Wisconsin or Indiana - someday we will/shall have a WUS meet.
    DanG Elgin, IL USA

Thread Information