Longevity of Sinn
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Longevity of Sinn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Longevity of Sinn

First off, thanks to everyone that posts here. Your information has been invaluable and even entertaining for someone who's become watch enthused like myself. I've been searching for a watch that, with regular use and appropriate care, will last 50+ years. I'd really like to be able to pass along my watch to the next generation and not have them receive the watch in disgust (watch is still running well, decent style, worn, maybe abused a little, but also loved). I feel like Sinn could be a reputable off-brand that achieves just that but would love to hear this forum's honest and critical opinions.

Re: Longevity of Sinn

I don't know why a Sinn wouldn't be as heirloom worthy as any other quality watch. They may not have the cache or name recognition of Swiss brands. But they're certainly well made, using movements that can easily be serviced (with some exceptions), and cases that will withstand whatever life dishes out.

Whether or not it is received with disgust is simply a matter of taste, and the personality of the recipient. Sinn's designs are largely in the Military/Aviation genre, which has tended to be popular through multiple generations. It would depend somewhat on what model you chose, but I think a U1 is still going to look pretty damn cool in 50 years, and a 358 or 903 will be classic then as they are now.

Bottom line, if you like Sinn, you should get one. Your kids or grandkids will appreciate a thoughtful gift from you one day.
    Hotel Clerk: Do you have seventeen dollars and a good watch?
    Del: No I don't. I have uh... two dollars... and a Casio.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    BREITLING: Navitimer Cosmonaute D22322 | CASIO: MTG-910DA, MTG-1200B, GW-200-2JF, GW-5000, GW-M5610, GW-9400 | IWC: Mark XVI 3255-01, Pilot's Chronograph 3717-04 | OMEGA: Seamaster Professional 2220.5000, Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005 | TAG HEUER: Formula 1 Chronograph CAU1111 | ZENITH: El Primero 1969 Chronomaster 03.2040.400

Moderator Emeritus

I would think that any watch would be able to make it to the half century mark with proper maintenance. Pretty much all watches will need a spa treatment after a period of time. When you send them in, they will fix what needs to be fixed, change the gaskets and add a new crystal if necessary and spa treat the rest and it should be good as new. It's just a matter of money.

From my experience, the watches which have survived the best are the old Seikos with the unbreakable mainspring. I have several 40 year old Seikos which have the original spring and are keeping a reserve of 45 hours.

Not sure how the Sinns are ageing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a Sinn 908 automatic from the 80's that is still going strong. It's a cool watch and I will be more proud giving it to my grandson than my Rolex GMT Master II or Omega SMP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Panerai Luminor 1950 GMT PAM535, Sinn 856 UTC, Sinn 156-B Military, Stowa Marine Original, MKII LRRP GMT Custom, Glycine Airman 18 GMT, Glycine Airman 1953 LE, Porsche Design Dashboard Chrono

Oh that is a good question, and an interesting one. I have watch of my dad's, I think his last watch before he died, a thin Citizen quartz, no longer works, but I love to look at it, and have kept it... Will the youth 50 years from now be so sentimental? Hard to tell, you may have to work on cultivating the love of fine watches, or the specific watch you want to pass on, in some of your potential next generation, and how/why the watch is important to you. I think a Sinn could certainly meet that, and some are built like tanks (I have a u1!), but I would also think more of the sentiment associated with the timepiece and how to construe meaning associated with that timepiece to a specific person or people, is more important than the particular watch or brand you choose. make sense?
    Last edited by Rich-L; January 7th, 2014 at 06:44.

Quote Originally Posted by andejoe1 View Post
    I'd really like to be able to pass along my watch to the next generation and not have them receive the watch in disgust
    That would have more do to with the relationship you cultivated with the person, than with the watch, I should think.
    nuovorecord likes this.
    Labitur occulte fallitque volatilis aetas, et nihil est annis velocius. Ovid Met. 10.519-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Statius View Post
    That would have more do to with the relationship you cultivated with the person, than with the watch, I should think.
    I agree with that statement....

My older Sinn is a 101, it must be around 40 years old. I'm not sure it has a enough services during that period, but today, the result is that this watch is still beautiful despite a long history, i wear it not like a vintage watch but a real everyday's life watch. It will go for a service this year at Sinn, it deserves it, but it still keep a very good accuracy. It has a Valjoux 726, and despite the age of this movement, I know Sinn is still able to maintain it (a friend of mine did it with his 101 2 years ago)

I have 4 others between 20 and 30 years old. I had the opportunity to service 3 of them. They all work perfectly and looking great.

I am confident that the newer ones (EZMs, 757, U1) will age at least as well as my others. Why?
    - Easy to maintain movement like the others,
    - better watch construction (cases, antimagnetic, dehumidifying system).
    - I have 12 watches or so, they don't get much wrist time.

I got those watches for me, but I am pertty sure they will be in very good conditions longer than me!

I have a Sinn 103 St Sa that is probably 35 - 40 years old, and it still is in great shape, and relevant today. I think many of their designs are timeless, and they are well made, and solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Statius View Post
    Yeah, that's a great point, as well as the point about passing along the love of watches. I guess my choice of the word disgust came from the past year of cleaning out my grandfathers estate, most of it being cheap travel trinkets, and wondering why did he save this? It has some sentimental value, but likely will just end up in someone's storage.

We've also been leaning towards products that have full lifetime value. We spend a little more on products that can last many many more years. We know Seikos can go a long time because they've been around a long time. I guess if the ETA movement is easily serviceable, and Sinn has done their engineering right on the case and bracelet (of which we believe), then we probably don't have much to worry about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information