Looking at Sinn 556, which one the I or the A ??
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Looking at Sinn 556, which one the I or the A ??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Looking at Sinn 556, which one the I or the A ??

Been looking for the "One Watch" similar to the Rolex Explorer I 39mm. Do it all, dress water sports, robust, yet not so sporty it couldn't be worn with a suit and tie.

Ruled out the Rolex Explorer, no day window, which is a must for this 67 years old man. Like the Omega Aqua Terra Sky Fall, that is until I tried both sizes on 38.5mm and the 41.5mm and found neither fit comfortably.

Now I have sort of zeroed in on this watch, which to be honest with you, never really caught my eye. It has sort of grown on me, a well built watch that is a tool, yet still can be worn formally.

I'm in a quandary now between the 556 I with the plain dial sans Arabic numbering, and the 556 A with the Arabic numbering. The I model looks clean, and I like the traditional placement of the date window, and the "Automatik" labeled on the lower end of the watch. What doesn't look right is how bland the dial looks without the numbering.

On the other hand the 556A looks real nice, but I don't care for the placement of the date window at 4 O'clock position, and all the empty real estate on the bottom of the dial. If they would have placed the date window in the same place as the I model and done way with the Arabic #3 and kept the "Automatik" on the dial, they would have a winner.

What's your guys preference

Sinn 556 I

Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by CombatMarine; September 14th, 2013 at 08:34.

Banned

Re: Looking at Sinn 556, which one the I or the A ??

I haven't seen the 556I in person, but I did own the 556A recently before selling it. If I were to get a 556 again, it would be the I version for its classic simplicity and traditional (and more legible) date. And I would get it on the bracelet, as the strap is not very high quality (at least the one that came on my 556A); you can find better straps out there if you want both strap and bracelet. Since you considered pricier Rolex and Omega, you may want to look at an IWC Mark XVI; a classic watch, and though recently discontinued, you could pick up a used one in good condition for a few grand.

LH2

Sold my 556A. But of these two, I prefer the smaller 430 date location and the matte black dial of the A version. I also prefer the low-light legibility that the A version offers with the numerals on the dial rather than stick markers all around.

The I version has a deeper gloss black dial that is a bit dressier.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've been wearing my Sinn 556i occasionally since January. I find the blandness part of the appeal. Its minimalist design can take some getting used to. When it first arrived, I thought I'd have difficulty reading the time at a glance because of the lack of numerals or markings to differentiate the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. However, I soon found the piece extremely legible. The deep glossy ink dial, in addition, sets this watch apart from its brother. And the sparse dial gives it a sense of spaciousness, making the watch appear larger than its specs suggest. While mulling over which watch to choose, I thought about which watch I'd find timelessly unique. I did like the pilot styling of the 556a, its ease of legibility. But I knew that I'd grow tired of the design eventually. So I chose the more refreshing Sinn 556. It can definitely do double-duty well: I often wear it with its bracelet in jeans and t-shirt attire or -- if I can get the bracelet off eventually -- switch to a strap for formal occasions.

Like you, I struggled over this decision, but in the end, I'm glad I went with the Sinn 556i. I think you should just go with whatever you're leaning towards at the moment.
    Last edited by Ottovonn; September 14th, 2013 at 14:15.
    J C likes this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

556I no doubt. I owned one. It is amazing for the price and you will be thrilled with it.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk 4
    Swiss: ​Omega Speedmaster Professional (3573.50), Rolex Air King (114200), Rolex Submariner ND (114060)
    Russian: Vostok Amphibian
    German: Nomos Club Automat, Nomos Tangente Datum
    Japanese: Grand Seiko (SBGR051), Seiko Presage Urushi (SARW013), Seiko Orange Monster

I prefer the 556i. The glossy dial and simple Bauhaus design is nicely done, yet understated.

LockedUp likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    I've been wearing my Sinn 556i occasionally since January. I find the blandness part of the appeal. Its minimalist design can take some getting used to. When it first arrived, I thought I'd have difficulty reading the time at a glance because of the lack of numerals or markings to differentiate the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. However, I soon found the piece extremely legible. The deep glossy ink dial, in addition, sets this watch apart from its brother. And the sparse dial gives it a sense of spaciousness, making the watch appear larger than its specs suggest. While mulling over which watch to choose, I thought about which watch I'd find timelessly unique. I did like the pilot styling of the 556a, its ease of legibility. But I knew that I'd grow tired of the design eventually. So I chose the more refreshing Sinn 556. It can definitely do double-duty well: I often wear it with its bracelet in jeans and t-shirt attire or -- if I can get the bracelet off eventually -- switch to a strap for formal occasions.

Like you, I struggled over this decision, but in the end, I'm glad I went with the Sinn 556i. I think you should just go with whatever you're leaning towards at the moment.

I own a few watches that just use stick markers and have no numerals, so I don't think that would be a problem for me. Here is a couple I own as an example.

Citizen Signature Grand Classics.

Name:  bth_SAM_2692.jpg
Views: 2318
Size:  10.6 KB

Dre

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post

No need for me to add anything, Ottovonn summed it up perfectly. The 556i is fabulous in it's simplicity and minimalism, and really does look and wear bigger on the wrist than it's 38.5mm indicates. The more I wear mine, the more I'm coming to enjoy it. For a while I was considering getting rid of it for a Stowa Flieger, but as I'm giving it more wrist time the more I'm convinced the watch is a keeper.

LockedUp likes this.

I like both and probably will end up with both sooner or later
    I have a 556A with the finelink bracelet incoming. I have been thinking of getting the 556i again as well.
    I prefer the dial on the 556A but the 556i glossy dial dresses up better, and is very eye catching as well.
    heebs likes this.
    Current collection: Tudor BB 36 |MKII Hawkinge| Seiko SARB017 | Seiko SARB035 | Seiko SBDC053| Seiko SBDC059|Seiko SBDC061| Stowa Antea KS
    wishlist Tudor BB 58| Omega PO | GS Quartz GMT | Sinn 856 UTC | Sinn EZM3F| Omega AT38

Banned

Pulled the pin and purchased the 556i today!

Get it on Saturday.
    Ottovonn likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information