My logic for a 140/42 for my 'one good watch' (for now)
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By rscmaine
  • 1 Post By Kisara

Thread: My logic for a 140/42 for my 'one good watch' (for now)

My logic for a 140/42 for my 'one good watch' (for now)

As you can tell from my signature, I've owned and flipped more watches than most - so when I pick a 'one good watch' it comes with a LOT of personal experience. (I am surprised I don't have warts for all the toads I've kissed)

So, now I have one kid in Law school and a second entering her second semester as an undergrad and my days of tossing a few grand out on a whim are suspended for a while. So, I've been bouncing through a few 'one good watch' options. Most recently I've been wearing a 2011 Tag Link Chrono. Conclusions? Nice enough, current model, enough 'civilian' name brand recognition to be viewed as a 'high end' watch for business use, 7750 movement for ease of repair, 100m WR, and after a couple of days of tiny adjustments I got it running at dead flat 0.00. What's not to love?

My minimum criteria for a 'one good watch'? Has to be a chrono - if you don't have a chronograph you invariable NEED that feature. Has to have Date (day date is even better, as I sign and date hundreds of legal forms in my work and I'm getting old enough to actually not know what day it is. Rotating bezel helpful as it can be used to time two elements - one 0-60 mins and the chrono to 12 hours, and in a pinch a rotating bezel can be used to show a second time zone if you tilt your head a bit. WR 100m minimum - I am want to duck my wrist into a trout stream or forget to take it off in the shower. Automatic - quartz has no 'soul' and cannot be properly repaired - with a few exceptions. Bracelet with micro adjust holes - I like my watch not to slip, slide, or wiggle and thus 80% of modern folding bracelets are out (or I must buy and use an aftermarket, which kills the Tag with its 21mm lug size. So you can see where the Tag fell short.

I have also had a nagging feeling of it as a 'fashion watch' - sure, Heuer made great tool watches back in the day, but TAG Heuer seems way too concerned with movie stars and marketing to qualify in the same league. And the Link has no rotating bezel, a hard to read minute counter (at a glance 48 minutes requires reading TWO subdials to be sure) and there are no micro adjustments to the bracelet, so it was always just exactly - loose or tight.

Here is the 'almost, but just not right' Tag. Sure, it will run flawlessly for the next 4 years until college is done, but let's face it...it has no 'soul'.

After more than a week's negotiation - invoking all my previous goodwill from 20 deals with the seller, and outright begging? I have this one arriving Monday.

Why?

1) Lemania 5100 - perhaps the best all purpose chrono movement ever built (and I use the word built intentionally - this very simple design incorporates several plastic and resin parts - which some purists decry, but in my opinion, actually ADD to the durability. The 5100 is rated to 10 G's WITH the chrono running...something I attribute to the simpler 17j and plastic side cushion system.)
    2) There's that rotating inner bezel - I probably won't use it a lot, but timing Thanksgiving in the oven and on the stove with only the 7750 was a challenge...the turkey ran on the master chrono, but anything wanting 40 minutes required me to set the timer on the microwave or try to remember after 3 glasses of champagne. With the Sinn, I can turn that inner bezel and time Yorkshire Pudding for 45 minutes without interrupting the longer timing on the Christmas roast. (and yes I am just that much of a nerd that I will do that)
    3) BIG outer minute counter hand - if you can't see that at a glance? You shouldn't wear a chrono anyway.
    4) Day + Date - so I have to learn 7 German words? Cool.
    5) WR = 100m
    6) Micro adjustable bracelet
    8) Case design with no outer bezel to smash into a doorframe (as happened with the Tag)
    9) I expect it will be running within 10 sec/day - once again allowing me to 'fiddle with my watch' every morning to hack it to time dot gov - and
    10) The freaking watch actually went into space on three missions - and to my knowledge was issued to Germany's counter terrorism unit GSG-9 - giving it a really high cool factor.

Unlike the Tag, which is instantly recognized by 'civilians', Sinn is almost a private club with a secret handshake required here in the USA...I expect it will be noticed, but almost never commented upon in the wild. (which is much to my liking)

Finally? Once college is over and I am back in the 'game'? I have 100% certainty that I would be able to sell/trade this rare piece without the slightest delay or difficulty.

So, a 'one good watch'? Sinn 140/42. (will post more pictures Monday if you want - right now that's the only one I have)
    Last edited by rscmaine; December 20th, 2013 at 13:34.
    unsub073, clonetrooper and b'oris like this.
    Current - 1978 First Edition 17013 Rolex Oysterquartz, Tag Heuer WK1111 Chronograph, Apple "Dick Tracy" wrist radio

Former watches - Sinn 142, Rolex 1503, Rolex 17013 Oysterquartz, 16803 Transitional TT Rolex Submariner, Omega GMT, Yellow Superocean, Navitimer A23322, Breitling Colt Chrono auto, Omega Flightmaster cal 910, Breitling Chronomat 13050.1, Omega Speedo reduced, Breitling Colt II SQ, 2 Omega Speedmasters Mark II (racing dial),T Serial 16613 TT Black Sub, Z Serial 16610 Rolex Sub, 18KT Rolex President 18078, 2 Rolex TT Datejust 1601, 4 Rolex TT Datejust 16013, 2 Rolex TT Submariner 16613, 3 Omega Seamaster Chronos 2599.80, 2 Rolex TT GMT Master II E 16713, Breitling Steelfish, Doxa 5000T Seaconquerer, 5 Omega SMP Bonds, Omega Speedmaster Mark 40, 2 Omega Speedmaster Triple Dates, Heuer Carrera cal 12, Breitling TT Chronomat, Breitling Jupiter Pilot, Breitling Superocean, Breitling Colt II Auto, Omega Planet Ocean 45mm, Two Sea Dwellers, and a bunch of crap

Re: My logic for a 140/42 for my 'one good watch' (for now)

Nice new addition! Wearing mine today... Name:  2i918q9.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  112.4 KB
    clonetrooper likes this.

Quick questions? How is the lume on those older Tritium's holding up? Anyone have a testimony on water resist (shower) and how is accuracy?
    Current - 1978 First Edition 17013 Rolex Oysterquartz, Tag Heuer WK1111 Chronograph, Apple "Dick Tracy" wrist radio

Former watches - Sinn 142, Rolex 1503, Rolex 17013 Oysterquartz, 16803 Transitional TT Rolex Submariner, Omega GMT, Yellow Superocean, Navitimer A23322, Breitling Colt Chrono auto, Omega Flightmaster cal 910, Breitling Chronomat 13050.1, Omega Speedo reduced, Breitling Colt II SQ, 2 Omega Speedmasters Mark II (racing dial),T Serial 16613 TT Black Sub, Z Serial 16610 Rolex Sub, 18KT Rolex President 18078, 2 Rolex TT Datejust 1601, 4 Rolex TT Datejust 16013, 2 Rolex TT Submariner 16613, 3 Omega Seamaster Chronos 2599.80, 2 Rolex TT GMT Master II E 16713, Breitling Steelfish, Doxa 5000T Seaconquerer, 5 Omega SMP Bonds, Omega Speedmaster Mark 40, 2 Omega Speedmaster Triple Dates, Heuer Carrera cal 12, Breitling TT Chronomat, Breitling Jupiter Pilot, Breitling Superocean, Breitling Colt II Auto, Omega Planet Ocean 45mm, Two Sea Dwellers, and a bunch of crap

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Even though I have sold most of my Sinn and have moved on, this is a great watch. Enjoy...
    Omega | Tudor | Sinn | DoXa | MIIK

Thread Information