My Sinn 140A quit working after ~ 1.5 month... could use some input?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: My Sinn 140A quit working after ~ 1.5 month... could use some input?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Sinn 140A quit working after ~ 1.5 month... could use some input?

So I recently purcahsed a Sinn 140 A secondhand from a user here on the forums. Transaction went well and I think both parties were satisfied. Now my issue... I've only had this watch for ~ 45 days and today while wearing it at the office I noticed the Minute hand wasn't moving forward even though the second had was continually working. I also noticed the that Second hand for the center Chrono Hand will stop after making 1 round and getting 'stuck' at the 12 o'clock position. Reset seems to work, but it gets stuck. The 140 is almost acting like it's power reserve is Zero, however I can manually wind the movement a few rotations from the crown and I can also hear/feel the weighted rotor spinning around.

It's like something is 'stuck' and preventing the watches movement from fully engaging.

I LOVE the looks of this watch but I'm very disappointed to say the least. I don't have the warranty card with me so I'm not sure the actual date on it... and since I'm not the original owner I'm not sure that Sinn will warranty the fix anyway. I was told that RGM is an Authorized repairer but I've never used them. I have in the past sent a watch back f/the US to Germany for Sinn to repair it. I just hate to have to go that route after spending several $K on this watch and only getting 45 days of use out of it before needing repair work. It still looks new. Don't think it's ever been dropped or banged on anything. The Capsule is still a very pale blue so that's in good shape as well.

Thoughts on what I should do? Should I reach out to Sinn and just ship the watch to them for repair or would RGM be a better option since I live in the US?

Is it possible that I just need to wind the movement more since today was the first time I've worn this watch in ~ 4 days so this morning when I put it on it was dead. I wound the crown a few times, set the date/time and proceeded w/my day.

Re: My Sinn 140A quit working after ~ 1.5 month... could use some input?

You've changed the date during the time period you weren't meant to and thats why its partially working and some hands are stuck

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Redsnake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewlogan1987 View Post
    You've changed the date during the time period you weren't meant to and thats why its partially working and some hands are stuck

That very well could be. I thought I updated the date after winding the time a couple times around to verify AM/PM... and then set the date after setting the time ~ 6:20AM. If I did move the date wheel out of sink is there a way I can fix it or will it now need to be repaired by a qualified person?

Thanks,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    That very well could be. I thought I updated the date after winding the time a couple times around to verify AM/PM... and then set the date after setting the time ~ 6:20AM. If I did move the date wheel out of sink is there a way I can fix it or will it now need to be repaired by a qualified person?

Thanks,
    I think its going to need a service now I'm afraid, it did when i did it to my 103

Knock on wood... I manually turned the timing over 24 hrs to get the date wheel to turn over. Then at around the 7 o'clock position I adjusted the date wheel around for the entire month and back to the 14th. Then set the time and now it's functioning again ... :) Let's hope it is all better now and I'll be SURE and note the time when adjusting the date in the future. I thought I did but apparently not. I can't really see the date anyway w/my older eyes so it doesn't really matter much. Ha

Wow, you were lucky! Glad it worked out for you.

PS - I can't read my date either anymore...
    Redsnake likes this.

Thanks all!! I guess I did get lucky as it kept time overnight and I'm wearing it again this morning. I never realized the movement was so 'delicate' regarding the time/day adjustment but I'll never forget now.

Thanks all!! I guess I did get lucky as it kept time overnight and I'm wearing it again this morning. I never realized the movement was so 'delicate' regarding the time/day adjustment but I'll never forget now.
    Wow...... REALLY glad it worked out for you. I would have bet anything you'd need to get service for that. If I were you I'd still keep a very close eye on it for the next while to make sure all continues to look good so that you don't risk damaging anything further by running it without repair if service was in fact needed. But fingers crossed that you dodged a big bullet!!!

It’s not so much that the movement is delicate, it is the simple reality that tolerances are very tight, and tiny. Those teeth that drive the various parts are little things and can jump/jamb fairly easy. There is a lot more torque going on inside these things than folks realize. So it is potentially easy for the torque to overcome the components and cause issues. Glad you got it “unstuck”!
    Too many flipped...

So I'm a bit paranoid about the possibility that I may have damaged the movement. Honestly, I was pretty sure I adjusted the day wheel when the time was at ~ 6... but I could definitely be mistaken. The odd part is the watch was working fine that morning after I set the time/date/etc until about Noonish... that's when the Min hand got stuck and I noticed the Chrono doing the same thing.

Since I'm not an expert in Sinn watch servicing... would you guys recommend sending it back to Sinn or RGM or possibly somewhere else in the US? May be I just need to send it in and be safe as I don't want to damage the movement any more than I may have already done. Hench I'm not wearing the 104A today and was going to let the power reserve run out in my watch box. BTW, it was still running this morning and had been keeping good time. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information