Need advice on EZM2: What instructions to give Sinn at next servicing?

Thread: Need advice on EZM2: What instructions to give Sinn at next servicing?

Need advice on EZM2: What instructions to give Sinn at next servicing?

I'm looking for some recommendations from the experts as to what instructions I should give to Sinn when I send my watch in for servicing. I have a late 90s/early 2000 version of the EZM2 that features the original tritium illumination. It's my understanding that these early 3H variants are somewhat sought after by Sinn enthusiasts at the present time. I'm overdue to send it back to Frankfurt for another battery change and oil fill. It's last servicing was probably around '04, before Sinn made the change over to the newer lume friendly grade of silicon oil. The discoloration on the indices from the older more corrosive style oil is starting to become readily apparent. I've read that Sinn is inclined to replace the dials at servicing when they encounter this discoloration, but that if you request, you can have the original dial left in place.

So what's the best play here? Would the watch retain greater value if I left the discolored dial intact, or is the difference in value so negligible that it doesn't matter? Or is it possible that they could touch up the indices on my original dial and make the indices appear whiter? Any comments, ideas or suggestions?

Re: Need advice on EZM2: What instructions to give Sinn at next servicing?

The 3H EZM1's sometimes fetch a slight premium over the newer Ar/Luminova ones, but I haven't seen this be the case for the EZM2. It still might be true, but there aren't that many EZM2's that go on sale.

You can request that Sinn not replace the dial and hands if you want. Personally, burnt-out discolored tritium is generally a negative for me as a buyer unless it's a real vintage piece. Sinn will not be able to "touch up" your dial, and even if they would, it would likely decrease your watch's value at resale.

Thanks for the response, foodle. As an alternative, I wonder if I could allow Sinn to replace the dial, but then ask them to just return the original to me when they ship the watch. Do you think that the combination of the watch's serial number plus having the original dial in hand would be sufficient to establish the provenance of the watch in the mind of any collector?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sinn could probably send back your original tritium dial and hand set. And that plus the serial would be enough to prove that you have an early run EZM2.

However, I really doubt that this will be much (if any) of a plus in resale value, especially since the dial and hand set could not be put back in except by Sinn Germany (i.e., a buyer could not have his local watchmaker do it). I just haven't seen any clamor for early EZM2's. The only ones that fetch a premium are ones that were issued or have unit insignias.

Thanks again, foodle. I didn't imagine any potential differences in value would be huge, but a bit of due diligence never hurts.

I sent mine back for new oil and battery last year. The oil was so murky that it made it appear that the dial was faded and discolored. My dial was not replaced and when I got it back it was amazing the difference. If your oil is murky your dial may be newer looking than you think. I am inclined to say either way to keep the watch original either way though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonpod View Post
    I sent mine back for new oil and battery last year. The oil was so murky that it made it appear that the dial was faded and discolored. My dial was not replaced and when I got it back it was amazing the difference. If your oil is murky your dial may be newer looking than you think. I am inclined to say either way to keep the watch original either way though.
    Actually with mine the oil is still pretty clear. In fact, I can't perceive any difference in the clarity of the oil at all. The bubble has gotten to be huge, but it's been a long time since I've worn it. The discoloration on the indices isn't horrible. Maybe I'll ask them to keep the original dial this time around and see if the new oil formulation halts the yellowing process. If not, I can always have the dial swapped at the next battery change.

Thread Information