Need advice with two Sinn U1 issues!

Thread: Need advice with two Sinn U1 issues!

Need advice with two Sinn U1 issues!

Hello all,

Not a new user here, but apparently I couldn't remember my proper username and password, so this ID is new. Anyway...

I have two issues with my Sinn U1 I need help/advice with. First off, I've had the U1 for about 5 years, and I wear it sparingly. It's never been banged around, and when i wear it it keeps very good time (+/- 3 sec. per day). The only odd thing is a fairly short reserve time of 30-ish hours.

The other day, I noticed a weird haze or delamination inside the watch between the 4 and 6 hour marks, at the very outer edge of the watch face. Hopefully this will show up in the images. It's only visible from certain angles, and I have no idea where this came from.

The second--and more worrying--issue is that I looked down at my watch yesterday and noticed that the time was off by quite a bit. Long story short, the U1 is running fast at the rate of 15 seconds per MINUTE. Yes, the second hand gets around in approx. 45 seconds! The watch has not been banged, submerged, near a magnet, or otherwise abused. Any thoughts on what could have caused this?

Name:  IMG_0144.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  1.61 MBName:  IMG_0145.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  1.51 MB

Re: Need advice with two Sinn U1 issues!

Try a demagnetiser on it could be the hairspring has become sticky ,

Anything else I think you will need a watchmaker ,the hairspring could even be caught up somehow causing the hairspring to be shorter but you say it hasn’t had any shocks so probably unlikely that but even so you would need a expert to look at that as unskilled should stay away from hairsprings as things can go a lot worse very quickly , five years it could probably do with a service
    The haze does it look like condensation?

It's not a cheapo watch so I would send it off to a watchmaker PDQ. It MAY be magnetised. It MAY be due for a service. It MAY be leaking a bit. So many 'mays' that I would have my U1 looked at by a pro.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you wear it only sparingly, that may be worse than wearing it all the time, possibly parts not getting enough use/rotation/lubrication. Kind of like letting a car engine sit forever without starting it every now and then. I would get someone to look at it, at 5 years it may be due anyway.

The haze doesn't look look like condensation. It looks like delamination between two transparent surfaces for a lack of better description. It's too consistent to be condensation, in my opinion.

What would cause it to run 25% faster it should?

Lastly, do we think this needs to go to RGM, or should any watchmaker with high-end watch expertise be able to diagnose and service a U1?
    Thanks.

I don't think there's any real way to fully diagnose these without opening it up, thus the trip to the watchmaker like everyone above me already said.

The crystal part is odd - it does look like some weird delamination, but the idea of AR coating "delaminating" like a sticker would seems odd. From what I understand, watch crystal AR (at least on quality watches) is an oxide that's vaporized and deposited in a vacuum chamber of some sort; it doesn't strike me as something that should "peel" off in a sheet, but of course I could be completely wrong...

And am I crazy or do I see some sort of mark or corrosion on the left side of the minute hand?

All of this seems like SOME kind of moisture problem, but that's just a giant guess.

Anyway...at 5 years and with these sorts of problems a trip to a watchmaker is inevitable.

I'd personally send it to RGM or Sinn just for easiest access to new parts (especially if that really is corrosion on the minute hand, or it needs a new crystal) -

The movement is no big deal - any watchmaker can service it - and the U1 doesn't use any of Sinn's weirder tech other than the tegimented bezel, so no worries on replacing copper sulfate capsules/inert gas filling/etc -

But since it may involve things like crystal or hand replacement, if it were me, I'd go to the source and get it to RGM/Sinn.

Yep, time for a service. No chance the crystal is delaminating in any way. It is a solid chunk. Also, no chance the antiglare would delaminate. Also unlikely it is a magnification issue, as the case is anti-magnetic. If anything, as mentioned, it is possibly water contamination, and it is probably the dial. Time for a trip to RGM or Sinn directly. If just a simple service then any watchmaker can handle it. But if it requires a dial or other specific parts, it might be more difficult for another watchmaker to get the parts.

After a closer look, the crystal might be cracked. Hard to tell. If the watch was dropped, it would explain both issues. I'm pretty sure the crystal is cemented on, and that may be the problem (not sure about that) and I "think" the entire U-series has to go back to Sinn for some reason. Not sure about that either. A simple call to RGM gets the ball rolling.
    Too many flipped...

I noticed the mark on the minute have as well, looking like rust.

Could anyone in your house have used it without you knowing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bummer

I would send it to RGM or Sinn. That way you’ll get everything done one time.. service with the correct oils, gaskets... etc.

Cheers
    Shannon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Seiko's: SBDB001 SD600M, SBDX001 Marine Master, SRP777, SRPA21 PADI,

Casio: ProTrek 2500-A1

My Sinn’s: EZM9, EZM14–T1, EZM14-T1B, U1 Professional, 836

Want

Aquadive: Bathyscaphe Poseidon GMT 100

Sinn: U2C, UX S, 857 S, 900 S

Seiko: SNR031J1, SNR035J1

Thread Information