Need some input before buying

Thread: Need some input before buying

Need some input before buying

Well I've been looking and looking at field and pilot type watches. I've looked at Hamilton khaki and many others. I've finally decided on a Sinn 356. What's got me going back and forth is the Acrylic or Saphire. I'm going to be getting it on a strap. I just love the look of the watch. Compared it to other German and Swiss brands but it's just the best looking out there of this style.

Is there any advantage to acrylic or is saphire just flat better. I know I worry about scuffing my other acrylic watches but I've not been involved long enough to know about any long term problems.

I'm going to be wearing the watch probably a couple of days a week so it will get some wear. I'm also relatively clumsy when it comes to hitting my watches on door jams and cabinets and things. haha. Sounds goofy when you type that out.

Anyway any opinions are welcome. I also see that they are due for a price increase. Any input on that will be helpful also.
    Thanks

Re: Need some input before buying

Quote Originally Posted by Shogan191 View Post
    Well I've been looking and looking at field and pilot type watches. I've looked at Hamilton khaki and many others. I've finally decided on a Sinn 356. What's got me going back and forth is the Acrylic or Saphire. I'm going to be getting it on a strap. I just love the look of the watch. Compared it to other German and Swiss brands but it's just the best looking out there of this style.

Is there any advantage to acrylic or is saphire just flat better. I know I worry about scuffing my other acrylic watches but I've not been involved long enough to know about any long term problems.

I'm going to be wearing the watch probably a couple of days a week so it will get some wear. I'm also relatively clumsy when it comes to hitting my watches on door jams and cabinets and things. haha. Sounds goofy when you type that out.

Anyway any opinions are welcome. I also see that they are due for a price increase. Any input on that will be helpful also.
    Thanks
    I would recommend the sapphire. They are very scratch resistant and after have 2 watches with sapphire crystals I will never go back to acrylic. It's worth the extra $

Banned

Acrylic: Scratches easily but polishes out easily. More resilient to cracks and shattering (see Nasa testing astronaut equipment). No AR (?)
    Sapphire: Does not scratch easily. Difficult to polish ev. scratches. Shatters. Has (sometimes) AR.
    I prefer Sapphire.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm from the school that the 356 along with the original Omega Speedmaster Pro with the Hesalite crystal were designed for a purpose - not to shatter into tiny bits in an aircraft or in space. The acrylic crystal may scratch easily, but a small tube of polyWatch applied correctly takes care of even moderate scratches. Much more cost effective than a scratch on a sapphire crystal.

I'm a big fan of acrylic as well. It has a slightly different appearance and feel, more in keeping with a tool watch. My sapphire crystals look like jewels, not a plus for me. Not a fan of bling.
    Polywatch is a great thing for getting rid of scratches!
    DW

At first I was skeptical about acrylic, but now I'm in favour of it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hary View Post
    At first I was skeptical about acrylic, but now I'm in favour of it.
    Untill you scratch it!

I've had the 356 and 103 st acrylic and the 656, U1, 203 Saphire. I prefer the saphire. I didn't like how easily my acrylic crystals scratched. Plus the ledgibility is outstanding with AR coating (although not sure if the 356 saphire is AR coated). I've gotten so used to AR coating that I am bugged by watches without.

Have you seen a 356 in person? The watch sits fairly tall for its 38mm dimensions. However, it has a very beautiful, classic dial. I would love to see a 356 saphire in about 40-41mm case.

acrylic crystal on the 356 for me... it suits the watch better and has a nice warm look and feel IMO...

a little Polywatch goes a long way and most scratches are easily removed...

the 356 is a classic Sinn!

happy hunting!

Thread Information