Need Your Advice: EZM 3 vs. EZM 13
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Need Your Advice: EZM 3 vs. EZM 13

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need Your Advice: EZM 3 vs. EZM 13

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. Next Wednesday, 7/18, I’ll be ordering my new Sinn: either the EZM 3 or EZM 13. I’d like your input to help me decide.

Here’s the deal. This watch purchase will be a HUGE deal to me so I really want to get it right. I’ve done a lot of research into each model at multiple sites and blogs. As nearly as I can tell, the only difference between them is that the 13 is a chronograph and the 3 is not. ...oh, and the 13 costs $900 more than the 3.

I have to believe that, for such a large price difference there HAS to be other differences that I’m just not seeing. Can any of you enlighten me as to what those differences might be?

...and before anyone points this out, I know the 3 has the ETA movement while the 13 has the SZ movement, but my (perhaps naive?) understanding is that the SZ is really the ETA movement that Sinn customized in-house with the off center 60 minute dial. I also chatted with the guy at WatchBuys today and he told me that Sinn uses only the top two grades of any/all movements they source: top grade or chrono grade.

Any insight you folks can provide would be really appreciated.

Re: Need Your Advice: EZM 3 vs. EZM 13

I would go with the EZM 3. Although the EZM 13 has the chronograph, it looks too busy.
    Rolex GMT Master 16750 l Omega Seamaster 165.024 l Omega Speedmaster MK40 Schumacher l ​Seiko SKX009 l Timex Weekender l ​Casio G-Shock DW-5600E

Quote Originally Posted by IMiss16 View Post
    I have to believe that, for such a large price difference there HAS to be other differences that I’m just not seeing. Can any of you enlighten me as to what those differences might be?

...and before anyone points this out, I know the 3 has the ETA movement while the 13 has the SZ movement, but my (perhaps naive?) understanding is that the SZ is really the ETA movement that Sinn customized in-house with the off center 60 minute dial.
    I think you may not fully realize the significance of the SZ movement. This is not a situation where the company just signed the rotor, or blued some screws, and then called it their own movement. The modifications to the movement in the 13 are legitimate changes to the actual movement that make it more functional -- i.e., replacing the typical 30-minute counter with a much easier to read 60-minute counter. Between that and the fact that chronographs are always more expensive than a 3-hand watch the $900 delta is understandable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I went for the 13 the 3 just looks underwhelming to me and isn't special in anyway

microrotor likes this.
    Rolex Sub LV , DRSD, SD4k , Milguass GV , Red Sub, Oyster Perpetual, Batman

Sinn EZM1LE , EZM2-GSG9 , U2s, EZM13 , UX-GSG9 ,Corum Jumping Hours LE

Seiko Tuna 007 , Darth Tuna 013 , Baby Monster , Panerai 177

B79

For me it was the Pelagos or the EZM13. Two very different watches but two watches I really could not decide between to fill my dive/ tool watch need. It was a split hair decision but I went with the Pelagos because I had a Speedy. I looked at the EZM3 once and like bazza said, "... the 3 just looks underwhelming to me and isn't special in any way".

B79
    bazza. likes this.

And, I picked the EZM 3 Diver precisely because it is underwhelming. One could certainly argue MOST watches are not too special and underwhelming really. The EZM 3 is just a great, functional, bulletproof watch. The 13 is a great watch, but I’m not a big fan of chrono’s so it’s the basics for me.

And one more thing, what makes the EZM 3 special is it is the last of the original EZM’s to remain in production (short of the remake of the 1) but that doesn’t count. So... one day the EZM3 will discontinue most likely..
    _Ferdia_ likes this.
    Too many flipped...

Though I've never seen either in person, I would suspect that they would have a very different size and presence. The EZM 3 would probably be more comfortable for daily wear. The EZM 13 would be more appropriate to take out when you need to feel bulletproof.

Referring to the presence of the watch there. Of course both watches are very durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo Hollyfeld View Post
    Though I've never seen either in person, I would suspect that they would have a very different size and presence. The EZM 3 would probably be more comfortable for daily wear. The EZM 13 would be more appropriate to take out when you need to feel bulletproof.
    They are actually both about the same size 41mm vs 41.5mm though the 13 is thicker.
    Too many flipped...

Quote Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
    They are actually both about the same size 41mm vs 41.5mm though the 13 is thicker.
    Yeah, I was mostly thinking about case thickness. In my experience, that greatly affects daily wearability versus occasional wear. Both great watches.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information