WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New 103 owner to forum

871 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  longstride 
#1 ·
Greetings all,
I’m new to WUS, long time reader/lurker and thought I would say hello. I have been collecting pocket watches since I was 9, high end wrist watches since my 20’s, and just purchased a 103 acrylic and am smitten. It is by far the most instantly readable watch I own, is a pleasure to wear and is quickly becoming my daily.
I had looked at them online for some time but finally getting one in the flesh, I have to say it is far more stunning than pictures can ever convey.

I can’t beleive this watch is as “inexpensive” as it is and is still in Sinn’s product line for as long as it has been. I can see why there is a cult around these watches- it punches far above it’s class and is causing drawer time for pieces in my collection far more legendary and lusted after.
Requisite wrist shot attached.
James

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey James. Newbie here too, although you have the advantage of having lurked. I've just leapt right in, and they don't seem to bite. But you'd know that already. Tell us about the collection?

#4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. The pocket watch collection spans from a 1775 chain driven through the 1930’s- I was fascinated by mechanical things and used to take them apart (the cheap broken ones of course). Still have the bulk of it but I don’t actively seek them anymore.

Wrist watches were bumper Gruen’s which is what I could afford in college, and my farher’s B&M 18k Chrono (which despite being poor in college I never sold). When I got my real job, I bought an ‘82 Rolex GMT (matte dial) and ‘72 Speedmaster from a local collector before the watch craze and eBay took off (not cheap but the market wasn’t insane back the), if I told you what I paid you would be sick- but it was fair market at the time.
Later I stumbled onto a Tudor Red Ranger (yes, I know the controversy but I have had it for 15 years and the PO had it for at least 20 before that, so who was doing redials in the 80’s of a 20 year old watch that wasn’t worth $200?).
Later came a Tag Carerra CV2010 which I got in barter and a blue dial Navitimer which I bought as an estate piece.
I have taken time off from collecting and have recently gotten back into it, and the 103 is my first purchase back in. I can’t believe how the market has changed over the last 15 years and am actually saddened that it is no longer a hobby in which those of modest means can play-it just seems to be sport for the wealthy now.

Even the Gruen bumpers of my college days (for which I would pay $25) are 10x the price.

James

#6 ·
I have owned my Speedmaster for 17 years. It has traveled more than most people do in a lifetime and has seen some of the roughest conditions known to man (and shows the patina of my use). It has been my favorite watch and I have grown so used to it that I forget I am wearing it. That said, wearing the 103 has made the shortcoming of the Speedy dial very apparent- it’s not the easiest watch to read at a glance. It takes me a second to see where the hands are against the dial to mentally register time. With the 103, I can glance at my arm while walking and instantly know the time- that’s insane! As far as a tool for telling time- the 103 wins.
James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.