New (to me) Sinn 142 - couple of questions
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New (to me) Sinn 142 - couple of questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New (to me) Sinn 142 - couple of questions

Hey guys- have been a long time Sinn ogler, but have never purchased one for various reasons (mainly I purchased too many other watches and never had the budget available). I liquidated virtually my entire collection, but wanted to treat myself for a big birthday that was coming up.

Saw this Sinn 142 posted on the FS forum and jumped on it. Watch is in pretty good cosmetic condition, and it was originally sold in 2005, so it's probably one of the last ones made. It's keeping 9+ per day, which is fine with me, but the seller has not responded to my question of if he knew the service history. I have contacted RGM and IWW about service, but the question is- do you think this watch needs to go back to one of these guys, or would you trust a local watchmaker (never used him before) to touch such an "interesting" piece? He seems to have been around a while and specializes in "Concord, Movado, Longines, Bulova, Citizen, Rolex, Hamilton, Zodiac, Tag Heure, Le Coulture" and "vintage watches are his specialty."

In either case, I haven't worn it yet since I'm paranoid about the movement needing oil- but I have replaced the metal bracelet with a Sinn leather strap, which I think looks quite nice. Here are some photos, poor quality is because I am still learning how to use my RX100.

SteamJ likes this.

Re: New (to me) Sinn 142 - couple of questions

Great watch, congratulations. I'd personally only trust this watch to RGM (maybe) the Sinn factory or a place like IWW with a stellar reputation.

That's a beautiful Sinn, nicely done!

I sent a vintage Sinn to RGM earlier this year and had a very positive experience, so I recommend you do the same. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats! It's an amazing watch. Mine (which is at IWW right now getting re-lumed, chrono hands re-painted and case re-finished) says hi.

Name:  IMG_0606.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  109.5 KB

I'd say it depends on the movement as to whether you let a local watchmaker touch it or not. If this is the Lemania 5100 (like mine) then I'd send it to RGM or IWW. If it's an ETA movement then I think anyone who services them can do it. I'd probably still trust it most to IWW and he'll be cheaper than RGM most likely.
    walrusmonger likes this.
    - Jason

Thanks guys!

Yes, my 142 does have the 5100, but it is one of the newer ones from the mid 2000s that does not have the tritium dial. I am waiting to hear back from IWW about my request, but I think I will send it there since I want to avoid any issues with this piece.

Right now the case is in 92 to 94% condition, there are a couple of light scuffs that can't even be picked up in photos. The bracelet needs to be reblasted though, it has many scuffs.

Hope your watch comes back looking great, it is such a great design.
    SteamJ likes this.

Congratulations on your Sinn 142 watch.

I have a 142St from 1993 and a 142Ti from 2005. Super watches.
    Find a watchmaker who is familiar with the Lemania 5100 movement. My Sinn 142St got the first service (in Germany) after 18 years !!

Just had some emails back and forth with Jack, going to send this bad boy in and have the movement serviced and the bracelet and case reblasted. Although the watch is in pretty good condition, Jack said the blasting will not weaken the case lines, so should take care of the scuffs that are on the case.

It's going to add an extra $500 or so to the purchase of this watch, but it really is a beautiful piece and should be treated right.
    CMSgt Bo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Congratulations on your Sinn 142 watch.

I have a 142St from 1993 and a 142Ti from 2005. Super watches.
    Find a watchmaker who is familiar with the Lemania 5100 movement. My Sinn 142St got the first service (in Germany) after 18 years !!
    Wow, 18 years is quite a long time to go w/o service- happy to hear that the reliability of the 5100 is more than just myth and legend :) Yup, going to send this in to IWW for a spa treatment. Excited to get it back and be able to wear it!

Quote Originally Posted by walrusmonger View Post
    Wow, 18 years is quite a long time to go w/o service- happy to hear that the reliability of the 5100 is more than just myth and legend :) Yup, going to send this in to IWW for a spa treatment. Excited to get it back and be able to wear it!
    Yeah, it seems to be a really reliable movement. Mine is estimated to be early 90's and, as far as I know or can tell, has never been serviced. I put it on the Timegrapher at Timeless Luxury Watches when I was in there a few months ago and it was running about +3s. Thanks to that I decided to give it another year before servicing the movement. How much is Jack charging you for just the servicing, BTW? I'm paying him about $260 for the cosmetic things he's doing for me.
    - Jason

Not 100% sure yet, he hasn't seen the watch since I just mailed it out. The only estimate I had was from the work order of $395 for the chrono service. My case and bracelet don't "need" to be refinished, they're still in pretty good condition, but if he can do it for the listed cost on his order form (around $100 or so) then I would definitely want them done. Scratches and scuffs are fine if you cause them yourself, or if you are told about them before hand, not when they're surprises :)

I am hoping that he can match the factory finish, if he isn't able to I think I would rather just keep the watch as-is and send it to Germany for a full refinishing in 5-7 years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information