new Sinn 104 feels heavy to wind

Thread: new Sinn 104 feels heavy to wind

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new Sinn 104 feels heavy to wind

Have been wearing my 104 for maybe 6 weeks now. Every day. It has been rock solid except for winding. I normally don't hand-wind automatics, so this isn't such a big deal, but this SW200-1 feels very heavy to wind. It is not doing anything strange like spinning the rotor when I wind it. Could it be a tight gasket that makes it take a lot more force to wind than something like a seiko dress watch? Seems heavy even if the watch is unwound. To be clear, it feels very smooth and solid, it just takes more torque than I'd expect.

Also, simply wearing the watch seems to not be winding it full. Maybe that's just because ~12 hours mostly at the computer and a little driving just isn't enough to give it much more than about 24 hours of life?

Re: new Sinn 104 feels heavy to wind

I feel that my Sinn U1 is quite stiff too. Requiring a lot more torque to wind than any other watches I have.
    But it does feel like it's moving a lot of parts inside.

I’ve worn a SW200 in similar circumstances to you and never had to wind it so I wonder if your 104 movement isn’t as fit as it should be?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    I’ve worn a SW200 in similar circumstances to you and never had to wind it so I wonder if your 104 movement isn’t as fit as it should be?
    I don't have to wind it as long as I wear it. But I did have it stop twice - once after I only wore it for about an hour on a day it stopped in the middle of the next night, so it basically had only ~27 or so hours of reserve from the prior wearing. Second time I didn't wear it to the office that day, and it stopped at like 3:30 before I got home, so... maybe 18 hours of reserve after I had set it down the prior night?

Compared to my SARB065 the rotor doesn't seem to spin around as easily. ie it 'sticks' a little or has some resistance to returning to the 'bottom' (can stay at maybe 30 degrees rather than flat if moving smoothly)

I have a watch with an STP movement. From new, the winding action was much stiffer than any of my other autos. Eventually, the stem broke. Seems it was a lubrication issue. If you have recourse with the seller, I suggest you ask to have the watch checked. Even if they say "that's normal" you will have documented the problem.

Started wearing my 104 again yesterday and noticed it was very heavy to wind. I think it's even worse today. It wasn't like this a few months ago. I also noticed that if I put it up to my ear and wind it in reverse I hear faint clicking noises. Is this normal for the 104?

I'll leave it off the wrist tomorrow to check the reserve.

I did talk to watchbuys about it, and they said to watch it closely as it breaks in over ~3 months. (and that it is of course covered by warranty if I want them to look at it during or after that time)

Thus far, it does seem to have slowed down a few SPD as expected, if it drops a few more and holds it'll be dead on. Will wind it some on "September 31" when I adjust the date.

I wear mine without a crazy amount of movement, and haven't had problems with it lasting 24+ hours. Definitely something to keep an eye on!

I haven't let it down for more than 12 or so hours at a time lately. Really need to let it wind down then wind it fully by hand and see how long that runs.

Keep in mind too, if you are winding it without it being run down, you will feel significantly more resistance while winding. There really is no need to wind it if you wear it and it doesn’t stop. Of course if it stops, then you need to either shake it for a bit or wind it.
    Too many flipped...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information