New Sinn policy of not disclosing movements?
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: New Sinn policy of not disclosing movements?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

New Sinn policy of not disclosing movements?

Dear all,
    It seems like Sinn has decided to stop advertising what movement ticks inside their watches. When you click on the "Technical details" tab on any of their watches in the Sinn website it just says "High-quality mechanical movement". And when you click on that sentence the page redirects you to the following text:

In addition to technology, the heart of any SINN watch is the fascinating mechanical movement. We use exclusively the very best quality of movements provided by renowned manufacturers with proven experience with whom we’ve been working for many years:

• ETA SA Manufacture Horlogère Suisse, Grenchen, Switzerland
    • Manufacture La Joux-Perret SA, La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland
    • SELLITA WATCH CO, La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland
    • Soprod SA, Les Reussilles, Switzerland
    • Uhren-Werke-Dresden, Germany

The movements are also manufactured in parts in accordance with our technical specifications.
    As required by capacities, we reserve the right to switch between the manufacturers mentioned above when it comes to sourcing the movement for a single model. In other words, the movement actually used may differ from that listed in the technical specifications. However, we always use a movement of highest quality from one of the manufacturers mentioned above.
    Should you have any individual questions regarding your watch, we’ll be happy to advise you personally.

This is unfortunate to say the least. I was about to pull the trigger on a Sinn EZM 3. It was my understanding that EZM 3 has (or used to have) an ETA 2824 ticking under the hood. I have had two bad experiences with SW200-1 and don't want that movement. Now according to their website I might get a SW200-1 movement if I get the watch...
    Last edited by Bratis; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:21.
    simonp67 likes this.

Re: New Sinn policy of not disclosing movements?

I think it's good of them to be open about the fact that they need to switch between manufacturers depending on availability, especially with Swatch having played games with ETA distribution.
    I have to admit that I'm personally happier with a Valjoux 7750 than I would be with a Sellita SW500, but that really has more to do with the history of the Valjoux movement and its label than with any concerns I have about the construction. As far as brands in this price range go, Sinn is pretty darn committed to their movements functioning reliably and accurately. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
    Good discussion though. Always interesting and worthwhile to think about these topics with manufacturers that aren't producing stuff in-house.

The situation with the availability of ETA is very unfortunate indeed. But I think that buyers have the right to know what movement is inside a >$1000 watch, not to mention in some of their >$3000 pieces. Of the top of my head, the only other brand that I can think of that ships you either an ETA or a Sellita without letting you know is Christopher Ward...
    Dennis Parris likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bratis View Post
    The situation with the availability of ETA is very unfortunate indeed. But I think that buyers have the right to know what movement is inside a >$1000 watch, not to mention in some of their >$3000 pieces. Of the top of my head, the only other brand that I can think of that ships you either an ETA or a Sellita without letting you know is Christopher Ward...
    Yeah, definitely agree that it would be better to know than not know before buying. But I can also imagine a problematic situation in which distributors have lots of pieces in stock with one movement, and Sinn make the switch and have a different movement advertised on their website. What's worse than not knowing is thinking you know, buying the watch, and having it arrive with a different movement!

Clearly, the solution is for someone to give Nick Hayek Jr. a stern talk. Giant conglomerates always manage to find a way to screw up good products.
    Bratis likes this.

Doing this gives watch manufacturers a bit more wriggle room if any particular movement becomes difficult to source.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Doing this gives watch manufacturers a bit more wriggle room if any particular movement becomes difficult to source.
    From a manufacturer's or assembler's point of view, the sourcing freedom appears to be advantageous.
    However, obfuscating this piece of information may be detrimental to sales in the long run -- it will depend on how many Sinn buyers actually care about knowing about the movement.
    If Sinn is business smart, then they did some consumer habit research before implementing this change.
    Dennis Parris and umarrajs like this.
    ------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

Quote Originally Posted by 3th3r View Post
    If Sinn is business smart, then they did some consumer habit research before implementing this change.

Seems pretty likely, and I think (hope) the response from customers will be mostly nonchalant. There are a crapload of brands with ETA or Sellita movements, or Miyota or Seiko for that matter. If someone is out to get a 2824, there are cheaper ways to get it; my point being that Sinn fans buy Sinn because of everything that surrounds the movement.

Another thought I'm having is that Sinn has always used what was available (Lemania chronographs, for instance). I'm wondering if there was another time in the past when Sinn didn't advertise what movements they were using. Longstride's thread on the 103 has a scan of an ad from the 1980s, and it doesn't contain any movement information. The company might have made that information available elsewhere, of course.

I'm glad they are being straight forward about it and with Swatch Group "doing what they do" I can't blame them. That being said I do hope in the future they list the specific model of movement they go with for each watch. Anytime your spending more than 1,000 on a watch I think the consumer has a right to know.

Luckily I picked up my 1736 a month ago. And while I got it for the clean looks what made me pull the trigger was the Top Grade ETA 2892 that was in it. While I do own various in house watches such as Jaeger LeCoultre, Omega, etc I wanted a watch that could reliably take a beating on a daily basis. Sinn overbuilds their watches and despite what some watch snobs will tell you ETA makes some great movements. Top grade is very accurate and the things are tanks. Meanwhile my Jaegers while beautiful have been to the shop within one year of owning them for warranty work.

So yeah, again I get it. But still there are people like myself who will choose a watch based on the movement among other things. If Sinn wants to keep charging what they charge for watches with the new movements that's fine too. But at their prices I expect to know what I am paying for.

I understand Sinn's need for flexibility in their manufacture, but I agree with other folks that if I'm paying substantial dollars (some Sinn watches are $3500 or more) I want to know what is inside.

Quote Originally Posted by f2002q View Post
    I understand Sinn's need for flexibility in their manufacture, but I agree with other folks that if I'm paying substantial dollars (some Sinn watches are $3500 or more) I want to know what is inside.
    Agree 100 perc. I wanna know what I`m paying for.
    SMP_DON and myke like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information