New Sinn Super 156 chronograph
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New Sinn Super 156 chronograph

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Sinn Super 156 chronograph

Fellow Sinn Collectors,

For years now, I have longed for Lothar Schmidt and the Sinn Leadership Team to Reboot / Revive the highly prized, Sinn 156 Chronograph, with the screw-back case, as opposed to the four screw back version, which was found in the earlier models. Water tightness is one of the main concerns in this instance, because after all, this new model would be a true Sinn tool watch in one sense and also an elegant watch that one could wear on a daily basis. Expectations and base line standards of Sinn watches are high; however, I don't think they give as much thought to the wearability of their multi-purpose chronograph time pieces.

The Sinn EMZ 10 is my case in point... to quickly address the 600 pound Gorilla in the room. It is a fantastic multi-purpose chronograph watch and has all one can ask for at this point in tool-watch tech development! However, what it gives to its owners in tool watch performance, toughness and service, it lacks in ergonomics, i.e., sliminess, comfort, and universal wearability.

The 156 model on the other hand, offers a comfortably balanced and ergonomic design, which can go from the office, dinner party, and a scuba lesson and never miss a beat. The beauty of the 156 is that it is slim. The case is not too large, nor too small. At 43mm and 11mm in depth, it cruises the fine line between a dress watch and a true tool watch. Rolex knew this when they designed the highly successful 126600 Sea Dweller. At 43mm, the watch is elegant, comfortable to wear and looks as good, whether you are wearing a tuxedo or a wetsuit.

I have owned three EMZ 10's and sadly sold them all. I tried to change the bands, adjust the bracelet and even wore them on the Sinn rubber strap, but never found the watch comfortable for my 8" wrist, nor suitable enough to wear on a daily basis (see photos below). The 156 however, wears stealthy and fits under a cuff beautifully. However, if this watch were to be rebooted, revived or enhanced, while using the newest Sinn technology to keep the watch water proof to say... 200 feet, and making it dust free, anti-magnetic and service friendly, I believe you would end up with the most popular watch Sinn has ever designed! It would blow the Rolex 126600 Sea Dweller out of the water! I say this because I own a Rolex 126600 Sea Dweller and frankly, other than the white gold indices and hands and a adjustable bracelet that can be easily adjusted on the fly in hot weather, there is not much in the Rolex 126600 Sea Dweller that would be able to compete with say a new Sinn 156 submarine steel watch, (which is an anti magnetic, scratch resistant, tough-as-nails, steel) or even one made with the companies patented tegimented titanium, used by Sinn in the EMZ 10. Further, if the leadership at Sinn offered all the super-watch technologies they have under patent in a new rebooted super 156 designed chronograph. The resulting 156 chronograph design would surely be a new bench mark for the company and the industry as a whole.

What a watch the NEW SINN-Super 156 chronograph could be! Why, the watch has not been built to date, is a mystery to me. The market is there. The knowledge and technologies exist within the company to make the new Super 156 chronograph! The market for the vintage 156 is, and has been, strong proving the popularity of the model. Yet, it is not being considered as a new model by Sinn. Why? I can only imagine what the watch would look like in its rounder, slender vintage style, submarine steel or tegimented titanium case.

Imagine... a new Sinn sapphire bezel clicking precisely between its stops and glowing like a torch at night...The applied steel or titanium indices brimming with the same lume as the bezel and putting the Rolex Sea Dweller to shame. The surrounding case brimming with the latest Sinn patented technologies to keep the movement dry, safe from shocks, extreme temperatures, abrupt pressure changes, scratches, etc., and finally, a bracelet that adjusts on the fly! Well, maybe one day... If Sinn needs someone to test the watch, then please contact me via Watchuseek... If you need some one to purchase an experimental version, please let's talk.

In the end, it's up to you Mr. Schmidt and your leadership team. You have the patents, experience and know how to introduce the world to a new way of designing an elegant wearable tool watch... One that can go anywhere and yes, "leap buildings in a single bound!" Let's talk...

All the Best,
    AimHigh
    Attached Images Attached Images

phthano likes this.

Re: New Sinn Super 156 chronograph

I’d love a Sinn 156, and think it is a great watch... but it is not the same category of watch as a Seadweller... and, as much as I love Sinn, let’s not be ridiculous, Rolex make much nicer watches, all in-house, with many of their own patented technologies. Again, not putting down Sinn, but the Seadweller is a much different category.
    DaveandStu likes this.

I actually had the 156 mil as well, amazing piece.
    Though for me the EZM10 Testaf rung more true for me, in water resistance and comfort.
    So the 156 left my small collection, and I miss it.
    I've a 116660 and a 126660 and they are Stella pieces that the 10 works in beautifully for me.
    But they are all 44mm..
    The 10, punches well above it's weight with phenomenal performance on Tegimented bracelet or rubber.
    But the 156 always drew your eye to that beautiful dial...
    Keen to see how you go mate
    Dave

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    harry_flashman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good Morning Dave,

Well, I hopefully will be able to purchase a new Sinn Super-156 with all the attributes of the EMZ 10 minus all the bulk/thickness... better lines, composition, and ergonomics are what I hope the leadership at Sinn will move towards if they revive the model. I sincerely want them to consider doing so because collectors like us who embrace the brand over brands like Rolex, IWC, etc see the wisdom of doing so.

Best,
    Patrick

Hello Harry,

Well, I can understand your passion for the Rolex Sea-Dweller. As you can see from the photos I posted with the article I in fact own one. I have owned several in fact as well as several Sinn EMZ 10's as well as three or four Sinn 156's ... see photos.

The point of the article was to suggest that, if in fact, Sinn decides to reboot the 156 models and keeps with the original ergonomics of the case design, which was the appealing characteristics of the model... to myself and many other collectors. Then, these new Sinn Super -156 models would, in fact, give Rolex's Sea-Dweller 126600 a run for the money so to speak.

As to the Rolex Sea-Dweller being the better watch than the vintage Sinn 156 at this point in time... I would agree. After all, it is a vintage watch. It has much less tech than the newer Rolex Sea-Dweller...

Thank you for your comments.

PT

Quote Originally Posted by Aim High View Post
    Good Morning Dave,

Well, I hopefully will be able to purchase a new Sinn Super-156 with all the attributes of the EMZ 10 minus all the bulk/thickness... better lines, composition, and ergonomics are what I hope the leadership at Sinn will move towards if they revive the model. I sincerely want them to consider doing so because collectors like us who embrace the brand over brands like Rolex, IWC, etc see the wisdom of doing so.

Best,
    Patrick
    Hi Patrick,
    I understand where you are coming from and it was a hard decision for me to sell my 156.
    Beautiful dial layout, I loved the 5100 movement.
    In the end, I believe it was the water resistance issue that pushed me to the 10 with size for me,as i don't wear suits often at all.
    Though I have flown under my ppl for 39 years, I still take the boats out occasionally and try to swim when able.( but not out the front any more...too many grey suits)
    The 156 is still to me, one that I think of a lot more than others past gone.
    A water resistant 156 with a SZ01, would i agree be a formidable piece to compliment the line up currently available.
    All the best
    Dave

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveandStu; September 16th, 2019 at 00:16.

Hi, again Dave,

As an old guy myself, I completely understand your thinking about the EMZ 10. As you can see from my photos and guess from my writing I have too owned many watches both expensive and low priced beaters. I can honestly say I enjoyed most of them. Some were just poor builds and poor designs. Others were great, but lacking in everyday wearability.

Sinn has always made very good watches. I believe they can do better. Perhaps they will listen to two old guys about what constitutes a truly wearable all-around sport, tool, and classic wristwatch. In the end, it's up to them...

Patrick
    DaveandStu likes this.

Can’t really compare a EZM10 to a Seadweller... not in the same category. Having said that, the serious dive watches in the Sinn line really make the Rolex pretty pedestrian in terms of technology etc. Rolex is Rolex. They do build some of the most iconic watches in the industry, no brand has been copied more. The brand speaks for itself. Very difficult really, to put Sinn and Rolex into the same discussion. The only real thing the divers have in common is they are divers. One plus about Sinn, it is unlikely you will get your hand potentially cut off for your watch in challenging areas!

I too, sold my 156 for the reasons mentioned above. The Lemania is going to be unserviceable at some point unless someone picks up and starts making parts. Mine was 10bar, I prefer more water protection. A cool version of the 156 would be Sinn doing something like they did with the EZM 1/EZM 1.1. Make it “the same” yet modern. With the SZ01 the central chrono is already good to go. Regarding the 156’s size specifically, the one the OP has in the pics is the newer design. The true pod cased 156’s are quite thick, 14-15mm if I recall. Still wore nicely though, given its size. I doubt there will ever be an EZM or other Sinn diver built with the same size specs the Seadweller has.
    Too many flipped...

Hi Geof3,

I think it's important that we remember that the context of the article is a comparison between a new Sinn Super-156... which as of the writing is yet to be built... and the Rolex 126600 Sea-Dweller. The EMZ 10 is referred to as a watch that incorporates Sinn's fantastic tech, and as a watch, I admire but had to move on because it just was not comfortable on my 8" wrist.

Perhaps in this light, you would like to imagine a comparison between the "as yet built Sinn Super156" and the existing Rolex 126600 Sea-Dweller?

Thank you for your thoughts...

PT

Quote Originally Posted by Aim High View Post
    Hi Geof3,

I think it's important that we remember that the context of the article is a comparison between a new Sinn Super-156... which as of the writing is yet to be built... and the Rolex 126600 Sea-Dweller. The EMZ 10 is referred to as a watch that incorporates Sinn's fantastic tech, and as a watch, I admire but had to move on because it just was not comfortable on my 8" wrist.

Perhaps in this light, you would like to imagine a comparison between the "as yet built Sinn Super156" and the existing Rolex 126600 Sea-Dweller?

Thank you for your thoughts...

PT
    Sure, but something to keep in mind, the 156 is a pilots watch, not a dive watch. Even a “super 156” wouldn’t be in the same realm as the Seadweller. I’m not comparing Sinn to Rolex as a whole. I have some, most likely unpopular, opinions on that comparison, however the concept is still apples and oranges. My point on the size factor was Sinn’s dive watches are built like tanks, generally large-ish and thick. I’ve owned several, and the Sub variants from Rolex are built to more a luxury type/size and use, while Sinn is very utilitarian. Rolex’s are tough for sure... but no one would argue more “pretty” than any Sinn tool watch offering in terms of style. Anyway, as I said, a reboot of the 156 in the realm of the EZM 1.1 would be super cool. Sinn has rebooted a few others, like the Arktis, why not the classic 156?
    Too many flipped...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information