Newbie question about Sinn, Diapals
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cdnspr

Thread: Newbie question about Sinn, Diapals

Newbie question about Sinn, Diapals

Hey forum-goers. Long-time forum member, first time poster here. Sorry to burden you all with newbie questions, but after a long absence from the world of watch collecting, I'm hoping to find my dream watch. One final watch to wear on all occasions, and maybe pass down to my son one day. I need a bit of info though, and maybe a seasoned collector could help me out?

I've saved up some money, and want to buy a Sinn 103 Diapal. I've noticed they only produce 103 Diapals with grey dials and bezels, though. I kinda really want one with black bezel, dial, and sub-dials (as the 103 St Sa) however. At the same time, I love the look of the 103 St Sa, but I want that diamond escapement. A few thousand bucks is a lot to spend on something that isn't 100% to my liking, know what I mean? Maybe someone can answer the following questions to give me an idea as to whether I should hold off and wait for something "perfect", or just accept that something exactly to my desires it isn't coming and buy something "close enough" now:

• How long have they been producing Diapal watches?
    • How often do they introduce new models of diapal watch?
    • How often do they introduce new models overall?
    • In your opinion, does it seem likely that there will be a black on black on black 103 diapal within the next couple years?

Again, sorry for asking questions that some of you may consider obvious to answer. But thanks for your help, to those of you who respond.

Re: Newbie question about Sinn, Diapals

Welcome to the forum. Your know what, I don't think anyone of us can answer your questions better than Sinn itself. Why not email your questions to the company so you can get official answers?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I did actually contact them, asking about the possibility of Diapals in black/black/black, but the reply was rather non-committal, and likely influenced by language barrier, having been was referred back to the103 St Sa Ar UTC. I'm not saying that they were unhelpful, just maybe not quite understanding of what was being asked.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I heard somewhere on the forum that you could special request the diapal movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, maybe that's what she meant when she said the UTC dial was no longer available (its opening match the diapal movement's)

They will be at Munich Time, 26-28 Oct 2018 and may have some new models to announce. Considering the breadth of their product line, the likelihood of them announcing the exact watch you want is pretty low. I don't know much about Sinn's previous history in announcing new models in between major fairs/shows. They may not announce anything else until March 2019 at the next Basel.

In my opinion (worth what you paid for it), I believe after the 757, there are more versions of the 103 (Acryclic, Sapphire, Diapal, Titanium, IFR) than any other model*. I doubt it gets another version very soon. The already released a LE version of the 103 this year. But it is a very popular model, so maybe they follow the Omega Speedmaster route and release six limited editions of the same watch every year... :)

As for your current quandary - ask yourself this question: which would bother you more...looking at watch everyday that isn't even the color you want? Or looking at one that doesn't have a fancy escapement? I actually sympathize with your position. The 104 is very high on my next purchase list. I have a hard time deciding between black and white dial...or do I hold out and wait for a possible blue one?

* Just looked it up, the 556 has six versions as well - same as the 103.
    Rolex 16710 GMT Master II // Sinn 903 // Seiko SPB053, SKX173, SSC027, SNA411 // A-13A Pilot Watch

Quote Originally Posted by nbsheeran View Post
    They will be at Munich Time, 26-28 Oct 2018 and may have some new models to announce. Considering the breadth of their product line, the likelihood of them announcing the exact watch you want is pretty low. I don't know much about Sinn's previous history in announcing new models in between major fairs/shows. They may not announce anything else until March 2019 at the next Basel.

In my opinion (worth what you paid for it), I believe after the 757, there are more versions of the 103 (Acryclic, Sapphire, Diapal, Titanium, IFR) than any other model*. I doubt it gets another version very soon. The already released a LE version of the 103 this year. But it is a very popular model, so maybe they follow the Omega Speedmaster route and release six limited editions of the same watch every year... :)

As for your current quandary - ask yourself this question: which would bother you more...looking at watch everyday that isn't even the color you want? Or looking at one that doesn't have a fancy escapement? I actually sympathize with your position. The 104 is very high on my next purchase list. I have a hard time deciding between black and white dial...or do I hold out and wait for a possible blue one?

* Just looked it up, the 556 has six versions as well - same as the 103.
    Thanks for the super-helpful reply. I can definitely wait a few weeks until Munich Time, which I was unaware of, to see what if anything gets announced there. The thing about the question is I don't know which would bother me more. Not that either one is that big a deal, objectively. They only seem like a big deal relative to the price tag, which is 10x what I've personally spent on a watch in the past.
    nbsheeran likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnspr View Post
    I've noticed they only produce 103 Diapals with grey dials and bezels, though. I kinda really want one with black bezel, dial, and sub-dials (as the 103 St Sa) however.
    Actually, with the exception of the EZM10, I think all of their Diapal watches have grey dials and grey bezels (if they have a bezel), no? I think it is part of their design language for Diapal watches and distinguishes (visually) Diapal watches from their non-Diapal brethren. If I am right on that, I would suspect that the chance of them releasing a watch in your desired configuration is very low.

Quote Originally Posted by Radharc View Post
    Actually, with the exception of the EZM10, I think all of their Diapal watches have grey dials and grey bezels (if they have a bezel), no? I think it is part of their design language for Diapal watches and distinguishes (visually) Diapal watches from their non-Diapal brethren. If I am right on that, I would suspect that the chance of them releasing a watch in your desired configuration is very low.
    This is correct. With the exception of the Anniversary (Jubilaeum) models, you probably won’t see anything else produced with a grey dial.

Thread Information