A not so Sinntillating question?

Thread: A not so Sinntillating question?

A not so Sinntillating question?

My U1 was received in the past week, in an mint to LNIB when i received it. I had reservations about the sand blasted finish in worrying about how to take care of little scratches. Well the keeper(don't know the real name but it is the final lock down on the clasp for the bracelet), when it is opened, as it comes to the end of its movement, it scores the bracelet. Short of putting ugly tape there it may be a fact i will have to live with. But my question is what might be a way to restore the finish? I am not sending it off to be sand blasted again as it will just keep on happening.

Can I just use a fibre glass pen but use it in a stipling( in brush work it is a vertical stroke)manner? Has anyone had this issue or indeed had scratches and what did you do?

Any suggestions short of selling the watch to you, will be gratefully accepted.

paul
    Doxa 600T Clive Cussler edition
    Breitling Superocean A17345
    Omega 2531.80
    RGM Sea3 Custom
    Ocean 7 LM3 #119

VINTAGE :

Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Zodiac Sea Wolf(1964)
    LeCoultre Master Mariner (1970)
    Hamilton Thinmatic (1968)

Place of honor:

my '80's Seiko 5 which has been through the mill and still runs and tell adequate time.

Banned

Re: A not so Sinntillating question?

Ciao! I had to take a look on my U2 bracelet to check. I see what you mean, but my bracelet's surface is not scratched, but slightly "polished" from the nail I used to flick the bracelet open with. Are we talking the same link? The last link sitting just where the lip of the lock is? Or the last link on the other side of the lock is?
    Under normal use, you never bend the bracelet that way. It curves the other way, around the wrist.
    Anyway, I never liked the bracelet, changed to mesh after one year. Superior comfort with mesh.
    Last edited by Janne; August 2nd, 2008 at 03:52.

A bead blasted surface is very difficult to reproduce without using bead blasting. The surface is unique in that each bead can leave an indentation.

A fibre glass pen will have a hard time reproducing the same effect unless used in an up and down motion to produce pockmarks. I think this will take some time. Using a stroke will leave scratches, not pock marks.

I sympathize as I have an EZM1 and it gets scratched from time to time. I plan to take it a friend who can do bead blasting when the time comes.

Cheers!

Dan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hey Janne, d'azzuro pesce here! lol

When you use your nail to open the lock, it swings up and if allowed to go through a full extension, it hits that first link, and leaves a mark or scratch. Not a really big deal as no one but me knows it is there, but i am my own worst enemy when it comes to being anal or knowing women!

As to the bead/sand blasting? Well I just spent a few minutes stippling(that is the up and down motion) with the fibreglass pen and guess what, it is improved. I would not want to make my living doing this unless paid by the hour but it appears to work.

And Janne, I think your mesh idea is the answer. I have that on my UTS and it is comfortable and looks good.

ciao

paolo
    Doxa 600T Clive Cussler edition
    Breitling Superocean A17345
    Omega 2531.80
    RGM Sea3 Custom
    Ocean 7 LM3 #119

VINTAGE :

Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Zodiac Sea Wolf(1964)
    LeCoultre Master Mariner (1970)
    Hamilton Thinmatic (1968)

Place of honor:

my '80's Seiko 5 which has been through the mill and still runs and tell adequate time.

Thread Information