Obligatory 142 wrist shot, but I noticed two things which are 'head scratchers'.

Thread: Obligatory 142 wrist shot, but I noticed two things which are 'head scratchers'.

Question Obligatory 142 wrist shot, but I noticed two things which are 'head scratchers'.

Just got this a couple of days before Christmas - running a respectable -2. (I really love the 5100 movement...some people sneered at the use of nylon and resin parts at first, but these are amazing work horse movements. I think this is my 5th watch to house this simple but robust machine)

Engraved on the rotor below the brand name is the word 'Chronometer' - I know Sinn has SOME COSC certified watches and put that info on the dial as most companies do, but I've never seen it 'bragged' on a rotor. Is it likely that Sinn actually submitted these movements to COSC but only noted it on the rotor?

Finally, inside the case back there is a symbol and the number "95" stamped below - would this indicate a 1995 production year like Omega used to do?

Thanks in advance!

Current - 1978 First Edition 17013 Rolex Oysterquartz, Tag Heuer WK1111 Chronograph, Apple "Dick Tracy" wrist radio

Former watches - Sinn 142, Rolex 1503, Rolex 17013 Oysterquartz, 16803 Transitional TT Rolex Submariner, Omega GMT, Yellow Superocean, Navitimer A23322, Breitling Colt Chrono auto, Omega Flightmaster cal 910, Breitling Chronomat 13050.1, Omega Speedo reduced, Breitling Colt II SQ, 2 Omega Speedmasters Mark II (racing dial),T Serial 16613 TT Black Sub, Z Serial 16610 Rolex Sub, 18KT Rolex President 18078, 2 Rolex TT Datejust 1601, 4 Rolex TT Datejust 16013, 2 Rolex TT Submariner 16613, 3 Omega Seamaster Chronos 2599.80, 2 Rolex TT GMT Master II E 16713, Breitling Steelfish, Doxa 5000T Seaconquerer, 5 Omega SMP Bonds, Omega Speedmaster Mark 40, 2 Omega Speedmaster Triple Dates, Heuer Carrera cal 12, Breitling TT Chronomat, Breitling Jupiter Pilot, Breitling Superocean, Breitling Colt II Auto, Omega Planet Ocean 45mm, Two Sea Dwellers, and a bunch of crap

Re: Obligatory 142 wrist shot, but I noticed two things which are 'head scratchers'.

Interesting with the "Chronometer" text. I have always heard that COSC specifications are only applied to Swiss Made watches....it's in the name. Sinn, as a German brand, does not have COSC certified watches. I believe there is a German standard that applies to German manufacturers, but I cannot remember that particular designation.

I wonder what the story is with yours?
    Last edited by Takemusu; December 30th, 2013 at 20:45.
    "It's all in the reflexes..."
    -Jack Burton

Moderator German Watches Forum

Re: Obligatory 142 wrist shot, but I noticed two things which are 'head scratchers'.

Quote Originally Posted by rscmaine View Post

Just got this a couple of days before Christmas - running a respectable -2. (I really love the 5100 movement...some people sneered at the use of nylon and resin parts at first, but these are amazing work horse movements. I think this is my 5th watch to house this simple but robust machine)

Engraved on the rotor below the brand name is the word 'Chronometer' - I know Sinn has SOME COSC certified watches and put that info on the dial as most companies do, but I've never seen it 'bragged' on a rotor. Is it likely that Sinn actually submitted these movements to COSC but only noted it on the rotor?

As you mention the COSC test is for movements. The tested movements have
    serial numbers. I don't see many movements, but every Lemania 5100 I have
    seen has a serial number near the "6" position about opposite the balance.
    I suspect Lemania sent movements for testing, and Sinn bought those.

Finally, inside the case back there is a symbol and the number "95" stamped below - would this indicate a 1995 production year like Omega used to do?

Thanks in advance!
    I don't know. The serial number on the case back serves as identification.
    I wonder what the purpose would be for a year code, especially inside where
    it is hard to read.

In any case it is a nice watch. Do you find much use for the rotating bezel?

Thanks,
    rationaltime

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

All Sinn 5100 movements I've ever seen had Chronometer engraved on the rotor. Even tho the watches are German, the movements are Swiss made and the COSC certification follows the movements serial number (movements are tested in movement holders, not watch cases).

I recall reading a thread from one of our EU experts that Lemania itself made the 140/142 line of watches, and Sinn (among other companies) sold the watches. Lemania was a swiss based company so possibly they went thru cosc on their own?

German companies were able to submit movements for COSC certification in the past. I know Stowa once offered a COSC option in some of their watches. This could be a movement Sinn had submitted for COSC in the past.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Updates - I located an identical watch on Chrono24 for sale with a serial number within 300 of mine and papers dated 1995 - so that "95" stamped inside the case back does indeed indicate production year.

And yes, the movements were submitted to COSC (per Private Message from Sinn on Facebook) - and the 'chronometer' engraved on the rotor is their way of showing that. Can't say I'm surprised, this is an 18 year old 5100 running a solid +1 second/day on the wrist.

Only thing I don't like about this watch? I have been completely unable to find anything I like better...I am an inveterate 'flipper' and look at every new trade/sale post daily. If I flipped, unless I went with an Omega 4.5 (which I find insanely poorly designed due to the modular removable movement capsule) I lose some useful feature - whether it is Day (that kills all the 7750's) central minute counter (same), 100M WR (there goes a BIG pile of choices) or multiple complications.

I even use the interior rotating bezel to keep track of the 12 prescription pills I eat every day by rotating it either an hour for a full pill or 30 minutes for a half. (you try remembering if you are at 9 1/2 or 10 pills by 7PM)

Only thing I'd alter? I wouldn't mind if it was 3mm shorter, but that is a very very minor quibble.

Bloody nice watch.

Quote Originally Posted by rationaltime View Post

As you mention the COSC test is for movements. The tested movements have
    serial numbers. I don't see many movements, but every Lemania 5100 I have
    seen has a serial number near the "6" position about opposite the balance.
    I suspect Lemania sent movements for testing, and Sinn bought those.

I don't know. The serial number on the case back serves as identification.
    I wonder what the purpose would be for a year code, especially inside where
    it is hard to read.

In any case it is a nice watch. Do you find much use for the rotating bezel?

Thanks,
    rationaltime
    Last edited by rscmaine; January 27th, 2014 at 13:57.
    Current - 1978 First Edition 17013 Rolex Oysterquartz, Tag Heuer WK1111 Chronograph, Apple "Dick Tracy" wrist radio

Former watches - Sinn 142, Rolex 1503, Rolex 17013 Oysterquartz, 16803 Transitional TT Rolex Submariner, Omega GMT, Yellow Superocean, Navitimer A23322, Breitling Colt Chrono auto, Omega Flightmaster cal 910, Breitling Chronomat 13050.1, Omega Speedo reduced, Breitling Colt II SQ, 2 Omega Speedmasters Mark II (racing dial),T Serial 16613 TT Black Sub, Z Serial 16610 Rolex Sub, 18KT Rolex President 18078, 2 Rolex TT Datejust 1601, 4 Rolex TT Datejust 16013, 2 Rolex TT Submariner 16613, 3 Omega Seamaster Chronos 2599.80, 2 Rolex TT GMT Master II E 16713, Breitling Steelfish, Doxa 5000T Seaconquerer, 5 Omega SMP Bonds, Omega Speedmaster Mark 40, 2 Omega Speedmaster Triple Dates, Heuer Carrera cal 12, Breitling TT Chronomat, Breitling Jupiter Pilot, Breitling Superocean, Breitling Colt II Auto, Omega Planet Ocean 45mm, Two Sea Dwellers, and a bunch of crap

Updates - I located an identical watch on Chrono24 for sale with a serial number within 300 of mine and papers dated 1995 - so that "95" stamped inside the case back does indeed indicate production year.

And yes, the movements were submitted to COSC (per Private Message from Sinn on Facebook) - and the 'chronometer' engraved on the rotor is their way of showing that. Can't say I'm surprised, this is an 18 year old 5100 running a solid +1 second/day on the wrist.

Only thing I don't like about this watch? I have been completely unable to find anything I like better...I am an inveterate 'flipper' and look at every new trade/sale post daily. If I flipped, unless I went with an Omega 4.5 (which I find insanely poorly designed due to the modular removable movement capsule) I lose some useful feature - whether it is Day (that kills all the 7750's) central minute counter (same), 100M WR (there goes a BIG pile of choices) or multiple complications.

I even use the interior rotating bezel to keep track of the 12 prescription pills I eat every day by rotating it either an hour for a full pill or 30 minutes for a half. (you try remembering if you are at 9 1/2 or 10 pills by 7PM)

Only thing I'd alter? I wouldn't mind if it was 3mm shorter, but that is a very very minor quibble.

Bloody nice watch.
    Care to share (part of) your serial number? I have an older 142 but Sinn wasn't able to confirm a date because their records only go back to around the time Lothar Schmidt took over from herr Sinn.
    "I used to think it was getting a bit beat up but now that I know that it is just Wabi Sabi I feel much better." -BC Wave
    "This is an establishment of horological promiscuity. Of course you should pull the trigger!" -Dave M

Quote Originally Posted by heebs View Post
    Care to share (part of) your serial number? I have an older 142 but Sinn wasn't able to confirm a date because their records only go back to around the time Lothar Schmidt took over from herr Sinn.
    Heck - have the whole thing. I doubt anyone is trying to fake these beasts. 1420068 (looks like the one listed on chrono24 is sold)

Heck - have the whole thing. I doubt anyone is trying to fake these beasts. 1420068 (looks like the one listed on chrono24 is sold)
    Ha. I am still hoping that someone out there will copy this movement! The EZM-10 fantastic but it's one massive piece of steel and far too much watch for my scrawny, girly wrist!

Thread Information