older 1st(?) generation sinn 142 st s

Thread: older 1st(?) generation sinn 142 st s

older 1st(?) generation sinn 142 st s

hello,
    i haven't taken any pictures as of yet, but i just got this sinn 142 st s and want to see if anyone would have a info on the watch. the serial number on the back states "332000 m", along with "sinn (older style writing),waterproof,antimagnetic,shockproof,stainl ess steel,swiss (not german?) made". the crown does not screw down and from the research i've done, this would be the older style of 142. also the chrono pushers don't have guards around them and the indices don't have the numbers onb them (like these do...http://sinn142.fateback.com/info.htm). it has the lemania 5100 mvt. which i'll be testing and keeping track of it's timing for the next few days. here's the thread from the seller (azjohn), https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=162562
    thank you in advance,
    francisco

Re: older 1st(?) generation sinn 142 st s

Azjohn,

your 142 started life as a black 142 and was later beadblasted, which the seller did mention in his discription.

I have a similar 142, still in black, with the serial number starting with 351xxxx. Hard to say when they were made, but mine is "Swiss made" too. Swiss made 142s show "Automatic" on the dial, later models show usually the teutonic "Automatik" instead.

Sinn contracted out (still does BTW) assembly of some watches and according to one source the Sinn 142 started as a Lemania design. This could mean that your watch was manufactured by Lemania, which would not be a bad lineage at all.

Not everybody is aware that Lemania manufactured also watches under their own name up to the end of the 70's, but recently I found a Lemania NIB watch with Lemania 5100 movement

This all is a bit confusing, because Sinn distributed also 142 derivatives for Bell and Ross. (That would then be a Swiss -possibly Lemania - made Sinn, marketed by Bell & Ross as made by Sinn. Is anybody still following?)

My black one came in almost mint condition into my possession and keeps time extremely well. The only little idiosyncrasy is that this 142 does not like the watch winder. It is my only Lemania 5100 movement that stops on the winder after several days. On my wrist it keeps running fine.

The Lemania 5100 is known for some little quirks.
    For once, sometimes the chrono hands will not reset completely and may come to rest somwhere around the 2 o'clock position. Some people will have you believe that all you need to do is push the chrono reset harder, but I am not so sure about that. A watchmaker showed me once the part and it is minuscule compared to the corresponding Valjoux 7750 part, not exactly the kind of part I would exert excessive force on. All it really takes is to start the chrono again for about 10 seconds, stop, and then reset again. It usually works.

Another quirk is that some Lemania 5100 movements do not run their full autonomy. If the movement runs fine you should get up to 50 hours, but some movements may stop apparently significantly earlier and run less than 1/2 that time. Not something I ever witnessed on any of my 142s.

Still, the Lemania is a great movement because of the central chronograph minute hand and I am glad that I bought mine.

K.
    Last edited by Kurt Koerfgen; July 8th, 2008 at 07:06. Reason: chrono hand reset

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

Re: older 1st(?) generation sinn 142 st s

kurt,
    thank you so much for the info!!!
    regards,
    francisco

Thread Information