Ordering a Sinn from overseas?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Ordering a Sinn from overseas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ordering a Sinn from overseas?

Hi,

I live in the USA and want to buy my first Sinn. I know there is only one dealer authorized to sell Sinn in the US, but I see some online dealers in the EU that have very very competitive pricing. So, while I am aware that Sinn technically does not endorse this way of buying a new watch, I also know that it is technically possible.

What I'm curious to know are what are the risks I am taking by ordering a Sinn from the EU--Will I have difficulty getting the watch serviced? Will I get slapped with a huge importation tax?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Ordering a Sinn from overseas?

Since Sinn has exclusive dealers for specific countries, e.g. USA, I'm not sure that a European dealer will ship to you in the USA. However, if they would, would that dealer be willing to eliminate the V.A.T. tax? Even if there is no V.A.T., when the watch gets to the USA you would be faced with customs duties and possibly sales tax depending on your state.

If I were traveling in Europe and got a good deal at a European AD then I would consider getting one there. However, I would not even consider trying to order from Europe.

Order from the good guys at watchbuys here in the USA. They have excellent service and will treat you right for the sale and service after if needed.

I'm glad I got mine from watchbuys. Rob could not have been nicer. Cheers, Bill P.
    ExMachina likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gaopa View Post
    Since Sinn has exclusive dealers for specific countries, e.g. USA, I'm not sure that a European dealer will ship to you in the USA. However, if they would, would that dealer be willing to eliminate the V.A.T. tax?
    He will. In fact they are obligated to I think (?).

Even if there is no V.A.T., when the watch gets to the USA you would be faced with customs duties and possibly sales tax depending on your state.
    The duties would have to be >$600 to make it not worth it (and I technically have to pay sales tax on any internet order)

If I were traveling in Europe and got a good deal at a European AD then I would consider getting one there..
    That's just it, I could almost justify a trip to Germany on the basis of cost difference :)

Thanks for you input!
    Last edited by ExMachina; November 26th, 2013 at 02:35.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agree with Bill....I explored many ways when I was getting my first Sinn. But turns out getting from AD in US (Watchbuys) is still the best way. You may get it a bit cheaper outside or in EU but getting it to you with all hassles of taxes, duties etc. not really worth it IMO. And you may end up saving at most maybe US$200-300. And you haven't factor in the after-sales service and support, if you ever need one. It's like insurance. Watchbuys will handle all your support needs, but if you buy it through overseas AD, you are on your own. Overseas AD might handle it for you, but you have to go through the hassle of shipping it overseas, insurance, handling the paperwork for Customs etc.
    What you gotta do, you gotta do!!!

Collection :
    Omega, Rolex, Blancpain, Zenith, Tudor, IWC

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    And you haven't factor in the after-sales service and support, if you ever need one. It's like insurance. Watchbuys will handle all your support needs, but if you buy it through overseas AD, you are on your own.
    I have thought about that. Does what you're saying mean that if I buy used (off the forums here) that I might be doomed when it comes to support?

Quote Originally Posted by ExMachina View Post
    I have thought about that. Does what you're saying mean that if I buy used (off the forums here) that I might be doomed when it comes to support?
    Not sure what is your exact question. Are you talking about brand new watch from AD under warranty or what?
    If the watch is under warranty and from Watchbuys, I don't see anywhere that you will be doomed if you buy it from the forum.
    What you gotta do, you gotta do!!!

Collection :
    Omega, Rolex, Blancpain, Zenith, Tudor, IWC

The real question is why is it in the best interest of Sinn to limit themselves to one supplier in the US with uncompetitive pricing??
    ExMachina and neolamp like this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    The real question is why is it in the best interest of Sinn to limit themselves to one supplier in the US with uncompetitive pricing??
    Yes. That would be at the crux of the quandary.
    alfred.newman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Not sure what is your exact question. Are you talking about brand new watch from AD under warranty or what?
    If the watch is under warranty and from Watchbuys, I don't see anywhere that you will be doomed if you buy it from the forum.
    That's what I was trying to clarify/ Previously you said:

And you haven't factor in the after-sales service and support, if you ever need one. It's like insurance. Watchbuys will handle all your support needs
    So it sounds like watchbuys only offers support for Sinn watches purchased through them. If so, then it seems like buying a used Sinn off the forums here could be a nightmare in terms of domestic customer support---that's why I used the terms "doomed" :)

Is this really true? Is there no domestic support and servicing for Sinns purchased elsewhere?
    Last edited by ExMachina; November 26th, 2013 at 06:15.

Moderator German Watches Forum

Quote Originally Posted by ExMachina View Post
    That's what I was trying to clarify/ Previously you said:

So it sounds like watchbuys only offers support for Sinn watches purchased through them. If so, then it seems like buying a used Sinn off the forums here could be a nightmare in terms of domestic customer support---that's why I used the terms "doomed" :)

Is this really true? Is there no domestic support and servicing for Sinns purchased elsewhere?
    Your purchase question is based on incorrect assumptions. No, authorized
    Sinn dealer outside the US will ship a new Sinn watch to the US. To do so
    would risk losing their dealership. They won't ship to the US.

And you haven't factor in the after-sales service and support, if you ever need one. It's like insurance. Watchbuys will handle all your support needs
    I don't believe that.

Sinn knows when and where every new Sinn watch was sold, and whether
    it is still under warranty. Sinn puts a warranty on the watch, not the
    purchaser. If you have a warranty issue you send Sinn the watch. They
    fix it and send it back to you. After the first few days when they might
    offer an exchange, WatchBuys is not in the loop for warranty service for
    Sinn watches. There is a contract service center in the US. However,
    I would send my Sinn to the factory. For non-warranty work I would
    also send my Sinn to the factory or one of the German Sinn dealers
    that offers service.

Is there a way around purchasing in the US? Yes, have a non-EU citizen
    friend pick up the watch for you in Germany and bring it outside the EU
    in order to not be charged the VAT. The US import duties are reported
    to be not so much, especially after the personal exemption for US citizens.
    To avoid trouble do not try to import any lizard skin straps to the US.

The WatchBuys holds the Sinn franchise for the US. They set the US
    prices. Complaining is not going to change the situation. If the prices
    are too high, shop for a used watch or wait until you get to Germany.

That's it.

Thanks,
    rationaltime
    ExMachina likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information