Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By gohmdoree
  • 1 Post By Dennis Parris
  • 1 Post By gohmdoree
  • 1 Post By egwatchfan
  • 1 Post By JohnM

Thread: Polish on 103 St

Polish on 103 St

I just picked up the 103 St. Not sure what my expectations were since I was a bit underwhelmed at first. Resized the guy, and haven't taken it off since. It wears really well. The Valjoux winding sound takes you back a bit but then it is a part of what the watch is. It is kind of neat how freely you can hear it spin like a toy.

I did notice there was a matte bead blasted version but didn't think it was worth a thought at the time. I'm mixed about the mix of polish and matte surfaces. In hindsight, I keep thinking should have considered the all matte version. Something about the combination of the black anodized black bezel and mixed surfaces not doing anything for me, yet.

Curious what others thought.

Name:  IMG_1046.jpeg
Views: 62
Size:  1.73 MBName:  IMG_7238.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  1.73 MBName:  IMG_4019.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  1.90 MB
    Dennis Parris likes this.

Re: Polish on 103 St

I'm a big fan of the polished. It reminds me of my FOIS. If you find that you want the matte, I've been looking for a 103 A (polished).

I typically don't like polished center links but the H bracelet is an exception and on the 103 it looks particularly nice with the polished case.
    dP

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I prefer the polished version. The matte version has kind of a cheap feeling to me (but that's only my personal taste, and I don't want to dissuade anyone who likes it from buying it).

Be warned, though: as with all high-polished steel watches, there's an in-between stage as you wear and scuff the watch that is unflattering. The first few scratches are painful and don't look great when the rest of the watch is flawless. Luckily, the solution is to just keep wearing it. Eventually it starts to look like the badass tool that it is.
    JohnM likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BoTime! View Post
    I'm a big fan of the polished. It reminds me of my FOIS. If you find that you want the matte, I've been looking for a 103 A (polished).
    haha, almost got me there. i can't explain the look to me, but maybe it will be learned. as dennis said that after some miles it will grow another look.

with that said, love having it on and whirring away.

Yeah I'm also a big fan of the polished. The matte just looks a bit strange to me on the 103.

gohmdorre, the acrylic 103 is a beauty, polished or matte. I think you're going to grow to love this thing.

That said, it would be fun to see side-by-side pictures of the two versions, with the kind of detail that you provide. I would guess the dial would stand out more with the matte 103.

One more suggestion to help deal with the aesthetic discomfort-- I kind of get what you mean about the all-black rounded bezel feeling a little strange at first. Our eyes were trained on lots of conspicuous chronographs that have bezel inserts.

I was a dedicated bracelet guy with my 103 for about the first year I owned it. But over the past several months, I've been getting into straps. There's something about adding a bit of space in between the case and the lugs that makes the bezel totally pop.

The Sinn H-link will always have a special place in my heart, but I'm beginning to think that the 103 truly comes into its own when paired with leather. In fact, I think it wears leather more gracefully and naturally than a Speedmaster (or a 103 st sa, for that matter: the versions with an insert seem to be at home on a bracelet).

Thread Information