Possible to convert to Ar?

Thread: Possible to convert to Ar?

Possible to convert to Ar?

I've noticed some of the Sinn cases have a screw where the CuSO4 capsule normally sits... is it possible to modify these with a capsule and fill with Ar gas? always wondered why they tapped the hole and just fitted a regular screw. Maybe these were transitional cases before the dry capsule technology was released. Photo borrowed from yande: Name:  9283652879_e12bf5c020.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  87.7 KB
    Last edited by jabstick420; July 14th, 2013 at 19:22.

Re: Possible to convert to Ar?

It's possible. The Ar dehumidifying system contains 3 components, the drying capsule, the EDR (explosive decompression resistance) gaskets and the protective gas filling.
    It used to be possible to custom order an Ar model without the gas and capsule, I assume the EDR seals were still used.
    And some of the private party watches like Bell & Ross were made without the Ar system, and the screw plug was used to fill the opening.
    Last edited by David Woo; July 15th, 2013 at 16:37.

interesting! wonder if anybody's tried doing this. thanks David!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've known a few folks who've had the Ar technology removed and plugged during their first service, but I've never seen it added to a watch after the fact.

It can be done; I once discussed this with Sinn in their Frankfurt service center.

The person I talked to did not believe it was worth the expense to modify the watch though, as - to make the conversion complete - you would need to change the existing dial for a dial with "Ar" logo.

Of course, that would not be a necessity and physically a conversion would be fairly easy to do, as long as the service center has the equipment to charge the case with de-humidifying gas and the watch case has the provisions to fit a de-humidifying capsule.

The question arose because one of my 144 Ti GMTs was delivered without this technology, which on this model - unlike on the 103 Ti UTC that I had bought earlier - was available as option only.

In the end I followed the advice and left this 144 as it was.

Hope this helps....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

thanks for the info Kurt... I guess having the conversion done can be worthwhile if the dial is left alone. i'd be curious to know if Ar dials are still available for some models, especially the LM5100 family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Koerfgen View Post
    It can be done; I once discussed this with Sinn in their Frankfurt service center.

The person I talked to did not believe it was worth the expense to modify the watch though, as - to make the conversion complete - you would need to change the existing dial for a dial with "Ar" logo.

Of course, that would not be a necessity and physically a conversion would be fairly easy to do, as long as the service center has the equipment to charge the case with de-humidifying gas and the watch case has the provisions to fit a de-humidifying capsule.

The question arose because one of my 144 Ti GMTs was delivered without this technology, which on this model - unlike on the 103 Ti UTC that I had bought earlier - was available as option only.

In the end I followed the advice and left this 144 as it was.

Hope this helps....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sinn has a large stock of service dials. I'm sure they have Ar marked dials for most (if not all) of the watches that were offered with Ar technology.

My B&R 157 has that plug. I've always assumed they just make the cases with the cutout for the AR capsule if it's an option for that model. I had two modern watches with the screw in plug too, a 358 and 144. My guess is Sinn could convert them to AR.

Thread Information