A question for 556 owners past and present
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: A question for 556 owners past and present

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A question for 556 owners past and present

How many of you still own or used to own a 556 and how long have you had/did you have it for? How have your thoughts about it changed over time? No real reason for this question except for my own curiosity. As one of their most popular pieces, I've just been wondering how people's experience with it have changed over time if at all.

LH2

Re: A question for 556 owners past and present

It's a big seller because it's the lowest price Sinn. A lot of affordable watch fans want something with 'Sinn' on the dial, and for a little over $1k, the 556 makes it possible.

It doesn't have any of the tech of many of the more expensive Sinn models, it's just a nicely finished 3-hand watch with Top grade movement.

I owned a 556A for about a year. Reasons I sold it - It didn't get much wrist time as I found it a little small, the brushed finish marks pretty easily, and I think the hands are a little too short.
    Archimede | Damasko | Defakto | Fortis | Glycine | Hamilton | Junghans | Laco | Limes | Oris | Sinn | Stowa | Tutima

I'm curious about this too, actually. Is the 556 easily scratched up if worn as a beater? How "scratch resistant" is it as compared to other regular watches like Seikos and Omegas?
    Owner of

Rolex Submariner Reference 114060
    Damasko DA37 on Steel Bracelet
    Sinn U1 on Sinn Steel Bracelet
    Seiko SKX007J.

Casio G-Shock: GWF1000-1JF Frogman and GW5000-1JF.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LH2

Quote Originally Posted by Roy87 View Post
    I'm curious about this too, actually. Is the 556 easily scratched up if worn as a beater? How "scratch resistant" is it as compared to other regular watches like Seikos and Omegas?
    It's not just the 556. Generally, I've found that watches with brushed finishes and non-hardened cases are susceptible to marks on the finish with wear. For a more durable case in a similar looking Sinn, the 856's Tegimented case is the ticket. Of course then you lose the pretty brushed finish and get a purposeful bead blasted look.

I had a 556a for about 3 years, and then a 556i for another year.

Nice watches. Rugged. I finally sold it as the date kept getting smaller on me (that's the reason I went from the 'A" to the "I").

Also, it got a bit too boring.

Ended trading it for a Seiko Credor that scratched that itch a bit better.

Name:  credor5.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  42.4 KB
    excuse the bad iPhone shot.

I owned a Sinn 556 for more than 3 years. I sold it because I wanted to go higher end (though I kept my beloved Sinn 356).

I missed the 556's mysterious glossy black dial as well as the design of the hands and dial. More importantly, I missed the numerous compliments I get. No one compliments me on my Rolex!!!
    zainabdulrahman likes this.

I think the 556 in general has this strange way of getting into your head and not leaving until you own one haha. I was lusting after the 556 for quite sometime and my buddy ended up getting one so I saw it pretty frequently. I ended up taking the plunge and ordering a 556A on a bracelet and Ive had it for a couple weeks now and I absolutely love it! If your unsure about whether you want a 556 or not just go with your gut. A small percentage of people love it in pictures and then get it and are disappointed or grow bored of it. The majority of people seem to never grow tired of their 556 due to the great design. If your trying to talk yourself out a 556 for any reason dont, you will ultimately want that 556 haha. I see tons of people want one watch, then end up compromising and getting something else and they are never truly happy until they get the watch they want.
    zainabdulrahman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LH2 View Post
    It's not just the 556. Generally, I've found that watches with brushed finishes and non-hardened cases are susceptible to marks on the finish with wear. For a more durable case in a similar looking Sinn, the 856's Tegimented case is the ticket. Of course then you lose the pretty brushed finish and get a purposeful bead blasted look.
    As a owner of the U1, I'm prone to bash my watch around. Even with daily wear as a beater, there are hardly any marks on the submarine steel. I'm hoping the 556 uses tougher than normal watch steel elsewhere (I'm not expecting the submarine steel toughness on the 556i, just a little tougher than your usual Seiko (SKX/Monster) steel will be great).
    Owner of

Rolex Submariner Reference 114060
    Damasko DA37 on Steel Bracelet
    Sinn U1 on Sinn Steel Bracelet
    Seiko SKX007J.

Casio G-Shock: GWF1000-1JF Frogman and GW5000-1JF.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy87 View Post
    As a owner of the U1, I'm prone to bash my watch around. Even with daily wear as a beater, there are hardly any marks on the submarine steel. I'm hoping the 556 uses tougher than normal watch steel elsewhere (I'm not expecting the submarine steel toughness on the 556i, just a little tougher than your usual Seiko (SKX/Monster) steel will be great).
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I found the metal on the 556 to be quite soft. The bezel edges picked up a fair few micro scratches. Not sure how it compared to normal Seikos though. I sold my 556 a couple of months back. Great watch but dressier than my tastes are now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zquek View Post
    No one compliments me on my Rolex!!!
    Haha! I was just thinking that I might want to "upgrade" to an Explorer should I get bored with my 556a.. Maybe I should give that thought a rest for now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information