Question about 7750

Thread: Question about 7750

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about 7750

I have a question about this movement. What does Sinn do to this movement before they put it in there watches?

For that matter, what do all the other companies do before they put it in there watches? Is any one better then another?

Thanks for helping out this newbie.

Re: Question about 7750

Very few companies (like IWC and Breitling) actually modify parts of the movement ... most others use an off-the-shelf version.

Sinn uses the top-grade version of the movement (that is chronometer-grade without the non-functional decorations), and they use their own special oil (which they supply to ETA to be used on the movements destined for Sinn), and regulate the movement after encasing it. That is about as solid as it gets without getting into the modification business.

On some models, like the 203-series soccer chronograph, minor modifications are made, but the big one we're all waiting for is the SZ01 center-minute-counter modification.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Don´t worry about aftercare tuning, it´s just skin deep. :-D
    And it´s save to say that the chance of getting a "working" movement will never be as good as when it was delivered. O|

oyster
    Last edited by oyster; July 13th, 2006 at 10:32.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello Martin,

Interesting info regarding the oil delivery to ETA... I allways thought the movements where lubricated in Frankfurt.

Do you also have informations about the DIAPAL escapement? Are they delivered to ETA as well or are the DIAPAL movements assembled/modifyed by Sinn?

Kind regards Philipp

Quote Originally Posted by philipp
    Hello Martin,

Interesting info regarding the oil delivery to ETA... I allways thought the movements where lubricated in Frankfurt.

Do you also have informations about the DIAPAL escapement? Are they delivered to ETA as well or are the DIAPAL movements assembled/modifyed by Sinn?

Kind regards Philipp
    Hi Philipp,

my understanding is that the oiling of a movement takes place in a disassembled state, hence oiling would be part of the assembly process. Unless oiled, it might be difficult to test the function of a movement without fear of damaging some parts.

No info about the DIAPAL, sorry. :oops:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Thanks for all the good information. I was a little confused as several sites state that Sinn modifies the movement...I guess it is actually modified for Sinn.

Can you tell us more about the center-minute-counter modification?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR
    Thanks for all the good information. I was a little confused as several sites state that Sinn modifies the movement...I guess it is actually modified for Sinn.

Can you tell us more about the center-minute-counter modification?
    I don't consider using the special Sinn oil a modification. Sinn uses standard ETA movements of top quality, which does wonders for long-term supportability. In the craze about manufacturer-modified movements people sometimes overlook that this means that the watch has to go back to the OEM for service/repairs, whereas a standard ETA movement is easy to repair or replace.

Sort of like "a four-wheel-drive vehicle will break down in a place no tow-truck can reach".

As for the SZ01 module for the 7750, have alook here,a nd that will give you an idea of the proposed layout: http://www.sinn.de/LEXIKON/lexikon-beitrag-002.htm
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    As for the SZ01 module for the 7750, have alook here,a nd that will give you an idea of the proposed layout: http://www.sinn.de/LEXIKON/lexikon-beitrag-002.htm

Hmmm...that is German to me. Could you give a quick translation? I speak no German.

Probably a silly question, but what does the ETA actually stand for? I've seen it referenced so many times, but never gave it any thought until seeing this post. :-S

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR
    Hmmm...that is German to me. Could you give a quick translation? I speak no German.
    Can some German-speaker help David, please? As indicated elsewhere, I am rather busy at the moment.

Thank you!
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information