A question about the Sinn 556
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A question about the Sinn 556

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A question about the Sinn 556

Greetings fellow collectors, I had a question about the Sinn 556 that I was hoping could be answered here. I've been eyeing the Sinn 556I for quite a while now and while it is the cheapest Sinn available according to watchbuys.com, it doesn't really seem like a cheap watch in any way. It actually looks like a pretty great value but I always see the 556 available for sale used. Watch recon always shows at least 1 or 2 556s available for sale used. My question is why do you think this is? It seems strange to me that so many people would want to part with a watch like that. Is my judgement being clouded by watch lust?

Re: A question about the Sinn 556

Sinn watches, I think more specifically the watches in the 556 style, are very unique and therefore tend to be polarizing. You either like them or dislike them. Many people buy Sinn wanting to be different and never bond with the design. In the end, I believe, folks generally want to embrace the unique but realize that the unique is just too far from their comfort level.
    "It's all in the reflexes..."
    -Jack Burton

I used to have the 856 utc… sold it after a few years - regretted it immediately… I had a brief romance with a JLC, Omega and Ebel… but missed my sinn… Wanted another sinn as fast as possible… I got impatient and got the 556a - because I had exactly enough money… I feared that it wouldn't please me as much as my 856… but…. The 556 is not a let down in any way.. It's a great watch.

Here's my best answer… I think once people get a taste, they want to upgrade… buying from watchbuys is such a great experience and the watch has such a nice fit and finish…

It's the "entry level" watch… and people who get it want to upgrade… I think that's why you see them available… There have been times that they are harder to come by…. you should expect to pay around $1000 for a cherry one - used...

I like my 556 as much as my 856… I only wish my 556 was just a "tad" larger, but that's okay.

I recommend that you get the metal bracelet… they are really nice...
    Last edited by lasttango; January 6th, 2014 at 05:19.
    MusicPDX and Takemusu like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

According to Tim at Watchbuys they sell tons of the 556 and u1 models. I suspect that some of the effect you noted is that there are more of the U1s in circulation.

PS lasttango. Like your profile pic. I'm Pierson college '95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lasttango View Post
    I only wish my 556 was just a "tad" larger, but that's okay.
    I think this has a lot to do with it as well. 38.5mm is on the small side these days for a watch case. I had a 356 Flieger that I loved...except for the 39mm case. I sold it.

But when Sinn released the 42mm 358 version, I snapped one up in a heartbeat. So I think one of the reasons 556s get sold is due to their relative smaller size.
    Hotel Clerk: Do you have seventeen dollars and a good watch?
    Del: No I don't. I have uh... two dollars... and a Casio.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    BREITLING: Navitimer Cosmonaute D22322 | CASIO: MTG-910DA, MTG-1200B, GW-200-2JF, GW-5000, GW-M5610, GW-9400 | IWC: Mark XVI 3255-01, Pilot's Chronograph 3717-04 | OMEGA: Seamaster Professional 2220.5000, Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005 | TAG HEUER: Formula 1 Chronograph CAU1111 | ZENITH: El Primero 1969 Chronomaster 03.2040.400

I bought the sinn 556 last year but sold it few month later. I found it to be a bit too boring and underwhelming. IMO looks better in photos than in real life. Sinn 556 used to be a really great value few years ago but now it's quite pricey. Personally, i'd buy it used so that you don't lose to much when you flip it (probably around $700). Quality is good however there are just too many other good-looking watches in that price range (ie. Longines hydroconquest, oris, ball...etc)
    Last edited by //Napoleon//; January 6th, 2014 at 06:13.

Banned

I have a 556i and love it. I was really thinking about purchasing a Rolex 39mm Explorer I as my every day watch, and purchased the 556i as an interim alternative. When I was looking at an Explorer in a Jewelry store and did a side by side comparison, my lust for the Rolex ended.

If I had one thing that I would change on this watch, it would be a larger case, 40mm would be perfect. The 38.5mm isn't really too small, but 40mm would be better.

Thanks everyone for these great replies! I am relatively new to watch collecting so I tend to obsess over each purchase to make sure I am buying something I absolutely love. I had not considered the ideas presented here but they make a great deal of sense. If anything this just pushes me closer toward my decision to be the proud owner of a Sinn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lasttango View Post
    I used to have the 856 utc… sold it after a few years - regretted it immediately… I had a brief romance with a JLC, Omega and Ebel… but missed my sinn… Wanted another sinn as fast as possible… I got impatient and got the 556a - because I had exactly enough money… I feared that it wouldn't please me as much as my 856… but…. The 556 is not a let down in any way.. It's a great watch.

Here's my best answer… I think once people get a taste, they want to upgrade… buying from watchbuys is such a great experience and the watch has such a nice fit and finish…

It's the "entry level" watch… and people who get it want to upgrade… I think that's why you see them available… There have been times that they are harder to come by…. you should expect to pay around $1000 for a cherry one - used...

I like my 556 as much as my 856… I only wish my 556 was just a "tad" larger, but that's okay.

I recommend that you get the metal bracelet… they are really nice...
    +1. I bought a 556i from them in 2013 and the watch exceeded my expectations for fit/finish when it arrived. Pictures did not do justice. Size is perfect for my 7" wrist. the metal band is gorgeous. I think you'll be quite happy with one!

I've had mine for about a year now. It's one of my favorite pieces because it fits like a glove. While I would prefer a slightly larger case, its current case suits my small wrists. I also believe that it's often sold due to its size and perhaps its design. Some may find it a wee bit too small; others may grow tired of its sparse design, or even a combination of these reasons.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information