Question about Sinn's "TEGIMENT" case and bracelet.

Thread: Question about Sinn's "TEGIMENT" case and bracelet.

Banned

Question about Sinn's "TEGIMENT" case and bracelet.

Is this finish similar to Citizen's "Duratech" finish on it's Super Titanium watches??

From experience from those who own a watch with this, how does it stand up to scratches?

If you get the inevitable scratch or two, what do you use to touch them up?

Re: Question about Sinn's "TEGIMENT" case and bracelet.

I bought a used 757 Diapal with the metal bracelet. There were scratches/marks on the outside of the rotating bezel and also the bracelet especially near the clasp area. I like everything I own to look pristine so it had to be redone. I am not familiar with the Citizen your comparing it too. My bracelet was kinda a 2 tone finish between links when I got it.

I am very familiar with working metal since I am a knifemaker. I used a 2 X 72 Medium Scotchbrite belt on my Wilton Variable Speed Square Wheel Grinder. I then switched to a Fine Scotchbrite belt after the scratches were gone. I didnt need to use any sandpaper and the finish is now a very uniform higher gloss finish with no marks/scratches visible. The whole process took about 5 minutes after the band was removed from the watch and also after the bezel was removed. This made it easier to handle while working the metal.

I can honestly say the finish wasn't any big deal to redo. I thought initially the tegimenting may present problems but I didnt have any problems at all and it reworked like any other Stainless steel. IMO Titanium would scratch and look a lot worse than Stainless Steel every time. Titanium is relatively soft where Stainless (especially if its heat treated and hardened) will withstand scratches much better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
    I bought a used 757 Diapal with the metal bracelet. There were scratches/marks on the outside of the rotating bezel and also the bracelet especially near the clasp area. I like everything I own to look pristine so it had to be redone. I am not familiar with the Citizen your comparing it too. My bracelet was kinda a 2 tone finish between links when I got it.

I am very familiar with working metal since I am a knifemaker. I used a 2 X 72 Medium Scotchbrite belt on my Wilton Variable Speed Square Wheel Grinder. I then switched to a Fine Scotchbrite belt after the scratches were gone. I didnt need to use any sandpaper and the finish is now a very uniform higher gloss finish with no marks/scratches visible. The whole process took about 5 minutes after the band was removed from the watch and also after the bezel was removed. This made it easier to handle while working the metal.

I can honestly say the finish wasn't any big deal to redo. I thought initially the tegimenting may present problems but I didnt have any problems at all and it reworked like any other Stainless steel. IMO Titanium would scratch and look a lot worse than Stainless Steel every time. Titanium is relatively soft where Stainless (especially if its heat treated and hardened) will withstand scratches much better.
    The Titanium watches that Citizen sells on the U.S. market are standard titanium and do mark up pretty easily. The only watch they sell here with the "Duratech" finish is their Signature Series Grand Complication model. If you purchase their "Super Titanium" watches from the Japanese market, they are different then standard Titanium.

I purchased this model CA0021-53E over 6 months ago and it only shows very minor scuff marks on the clasp, the bracelet and case are pristine. Citizen's Super Titaniun is touted to be 5 times harder then stainless steel

Last edited by CombatMarine; September 13th, 2013 at 20:05.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've had a Sinn 856S since 2010, and the black tegiment is begining to wear off the edges ever so slightly.... however, i am not gentle with any of my watches! Overall, Sinn's tegiment is not impervious, but it is fairly durable.

semper fi
    R Hoq
    Last edited by R. Hoq; September 16th, 2013 at 03:29.

“Watch fanatic? Hardly, I’m more of a watch strap junkie that owns a couple watches.”

A few weeks ago I was wearing my Sinn 757 while riding my bicycle. On the other side of the street that I was riding, a skateboarder wiped out, sending his board across the street and into my front tire wiping me out. I fell fairly hard. Thankfully I always wear a helmet because I did clunk my head on the pavement. (The skateboarder was not wearing a helmet and really messed up his face.) Also, and the point of this reply, my watch also hit the pavement. I did not want to look at the watch after, but did. To my surprise there was no scratches on the watch's tegimented body or bracelet. The only damage was a very small mark on the aluminum bezel insert. So, for me, the tegiment really worked. Just wish Sinn would consider a change in the bezel and replace the aluminum with something stronger. As for me, several weeks of sore ribs but I am better now. Also, after the fall I rode 20 miles, and continued to ride even with the sore ribs!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    A few weeks ago I was wearing my Sinn 757 while riding my bicycle. On the other side of the street that I was riding, a skateboarder wiped out, sending his board across the street and into my front tire wiping me out. I fell fairly hard. Thankfully I always wear a helmet because I did clunk my head on the pavement. (The skateboarder was not wearing a helmet and really messed up his face.) Also, and the point of this reply, my watch also hit the pavement. I did not want to look at the watch after, but did. To my surprise there was no scratches on the watch's tegimented body or bracelet. The only damage was a very small mark on the aluminum bezel insert. So, for me, the tegiment really worked. Just wish Sinn would consider a change in the bezel and replace the aluminum with something stronger. As for me, several weeks of sore ribs but I am better now. Also, after the fall I rode 20 miles, and continued to ride even with the sore ribs!
    Interesting, if I'm not mistaken the Sinn diver that is made out of Titanium has a tegiment bezel??

Thread Information