Question on a possible U1 service
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By MONVMENTVM
  • 1 Post By nodnar

Thread: Question on a possible U1 service

Question on a possible U1 service

I have a U1, eta version that although keeps great time, may need a service for the crown/thread. Sometimes when unscrewing the crown, it doesn’t “ pop” into position 1, I have to just lightly pull and it will go in. Also when going to screw it back down, I sometimes have to “ search” for that pushed in pin feeling that you feel before screwing the crown back down. Is this something normal with these models? Does it need a service ASAP? Thanks

Re: Question on a possible U1 service

Quote Originally Posted by Blkmax32 View Post
    I have a U1, eta version that although keeps great time, may need a service for the crown/thread. Sometimes when unscrewing the crown, it doesn’t “ pop” into position 1, I have to just lightly pull and it will go in. Also when going to screw it back down, I sometimes have to “ search” for that pushed in pin feeling that you feel before screwing the crown back down. Is this something normal with these models? Does it need a service ASAP? Thanks
    Sounds fairly normal with most automatics tbh. Most of the time the crown pops into position 1 only when after unscrewing you either rotate in the other direction (so basically by winding it) or pull on it slightly.

The other thing is actually always recommended to do to avoid cross threading. Push on the crown slightly to overcome the force of the spring and at the same time "unscrew" it until you can feel that it suddenly "falls" into the thread. This is when the threads are correctly aligned and you can start screwing it down without running the risk of cross threading.
    nodnar, gaopa, Geof3 and 1 others like this.

^^^ this.

Even my UX is like this.
    And I always do the backwards bit when screwing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Geof3 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yep, the threads are tiny. Very easy to cross thread. I sure the above method as well.
    Too many flipped...

I unscrew my U1, and generally have to wind half a turn before I feel the pop.
    Then a backwards turn before screwing it back in with constant pressure.
    Got smoother over the years, and now nearly as fluid as the Rolex.

I have an Oris that won't pop out when fully unwound also, you have to turn it a little bit to get it fully unseated. I suspect these things are actually by design but I'm unsure.

Instagram: open_escapement

Thread Information