Question for Sinn 556 Owners

Thread: Question for Sinn 556 Owners

I've been looking for a good, everyday watch and the Sinn 556I is one my favorites that I have come across. Although the 556A is nice, I prefer the dial without the numerals. Although I really like this watch, I have some concerns. I know that the 556I is the entry level model and therefore does not have the hardened case and other stuff. My question to the owners of either the 556I or 556A is how does your stainless case hold up? I own a cheap Victorinox quartz watch that I wear everyday that is just untreated stainless steel and I've banged this watch around a couple times and the case has some slight wear and small dings but nothing that really bugs me so I can't image the Sinn would be any worse, especially since I wouldn't wear the Sinn in those types of situations where there is the possibility of damaging the watch. So let me know your thoughts, I see that there is a 556 thread that appears to have many happy Sinn 556 owners so this watch can't be bad by any means but this purchase would have to be done right.
    ​Damasko DA47 • ​Seiko SARB033 • Seiko SKX013 • Timefactors Smiths PRS-29A

LH2

Re: Question for Sinn 556 Owners

The 556's pretty satin finish is susceptible to scratching, but really no more than any other brushed finish stainless steel case. If you're not rough on your watches, it'll look nice for years, but will of course have a few light 'character' marks.

If a durable finish is extremely important to you, consider an 856 non-UTC or maybe something from Damasko.
    Archimede | Damasko | Defakto | Fortis | Glycine | Hamilton | Junghans | Laco | Limes | Oris | Sinn | Stowa | Tutima

Like anything with a brushed finish, it'll scratch. And yes, it can get dinged, as well. However, I feel like there's a negative connotation to "entry level", and there shouldn't be when it's used to describe a Sinn. It may be the cheapest of the brand, but it's a quality watch with a great look and reliable movement. I've had two and enjoyed them immensely.
    Narc'd out of my gourd

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Any satin or brushed steel finish watch will pick up some marks in time. If it's a huge concern, as mentioned above, get the tegimented 856 model.

My 556a says hello.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Waser; June 5th, 2015 at 12:17.

I haven't been bothered by scratches in almost a year of frequent, non-gentle use. It's a tool watch, so a little bit of wear just gives it more character imo.

I owned a Sinn 556 i for over 3 years. [There wasn't a 556i then] The finishing is a brushed finish. The advantage of this finishing is that any fine hairline scratches will not be obvious and appear to be part of the brushed finish. If there are dings and dents, no finishing or hardened case will help you. If there are deep scratches, it will still be less obvious on the brushed finish than on a polished finish.

One thing that people may not have considered is that the Sinn 556i have a glossy black dial. I do not know how to fully describe it but it looks quite mesmerising and will distract your eyes from any scratches.

Overall, I found that it was a good everyday watch to wear given its size and finishing.

Marks on my case don't make the watch look any worse. If anything, it adds character. I like the 556 because it doesn't have that copper sulfate tablet thing that can only be replaced by watchbuys or sinn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information