Questions about/how to send a watch (in and out of warranty) to Germany, esp re: customs?

Thread: Questions about/how to send a watch (in and out of warranty) to Germany, esp re: customs?

Questions about/how to send a watch (in and out of warranty) to Germany, esp re: customs?

So I am about to send a watch (still in warranty) to Sinn Germany and have the labels and everything, but I have been reading up a little online and I was wondering if anyone has any experience in doing so and what paperwork (beyond a photocopy of the warranty card) I need to have in the package (and exactly where they can be obtained, I am not sure where to get the appropriate customs forms). I've also heard an invoice should be included, but I only recently received the watch (it was originally purchased at Sinn Spezialuhren itself and it is not a watch that can be serviced/repaired in the US anyways) so I didn't know if anyone has any advice on how to proceed.

I also was wondering (in regards to future reference), how best to go about sending an out-of-warranty watch to Sinn (specifically a 156B). What paperwork should be included to avoid getting hit with customs?

Any other tips people have who have sent their watches back to the motherland? I'm relatively new to watches (have not really had things serviced much nor any 'go to' watchmakers) so it is a little more nerve-wracking having to send it all the way across the pond so any and all advice is much appreciated!

Re: Questions about/how to send a watch (in and out of warranty) to Germany, esp re: customs?

It’s really not to big of a deal. If you simply put the watch as sent for repairs, customs isn’t an issue. Just be sure to send it fully insured. I’m pretty sure I sent mine via Fed Ex if I recall. If you need further specifics on a warranty return, try Watchbuys, or Sinn themselves.
    Too many flipped...

Re: Questions about/how to send a watch (in and out of warranty) to Germany, esp re: customs?

In December I sent my five-year-old 857UTC to Germany for service/repair. It stopped keeping time after an hour or two, even after being manually wound. I boxed it up myself and took it to Fedex. They handled everything. It was sent on a Saturday and arrived in Frankfurt on Tuesday. A week later, Sinn emailed me confirming receipt. Unfortunately, the price to ship it was $127.

Where are you located, USA?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wherever you are located I would take the advice of your customs people - let them know what you plan to do and they should be able to let you know exactly what is required for both sending the watch away to be repaired and getting it back again.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm located in the US and actually Sinn sent me a UPS label for shipping since it's too complicated a movement for RGM and still in warranty. I couldn't find customs forms on UPS' website - would anyone have a link or a general CBP link to customs forms so I don't get hit with fees?

Thread Information