Received 556. Questions!

Thread: Received 556. Questions!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    43

    Received 556. Questions!

    Hello,

    just received a Sinn 556. Nice watch though, but never owned an automatic before, so here is what I noticed.

    1. Hear the ticking noise.
    2. When I shake the watch, I can hear the weird noise like that something is loose, or the metal is not tight enough. Some kind of a rotor noise.

    Is this normal?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member Echizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    166

    Re: Received 556. Questions!

    Sounds completely normal to me!

  3. #3
    Administrator CMSgt Bo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
    Posts
    36,632

    Re: Received 556. Questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by cipsaz View Post
    Hello,

    just received a Sinn 556. Nice watch though, but never owned an automatic before, so here is what I noticed.

    1. Hear the ticking noise.
    2. When I shake the watch, I can hear the weird noise like that something is loose, or the metal is not tight enough. Some kind of a rotor noise.

    Is this normal?

    Thanks.
    You forgot a few:

    3. The second hand moves semi-smoothly around the entire dial once a minute.
    4. It doesn't keep time near as well as my $18 Timex quartz.
    5. If I don't wear it for a few days it stops.

    Welcome to the quirky world of mechanical watches. Springs, cogs, gears and counterbalances all working together in prefect harmony.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    30

    Re: Received 556. Questions!

    The 556 is my favourite watch take a look in the glass back to see whats making all that noise

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    43

    Re: Received 556. Questions!

    Wow you guys rock . I thought there is something wrong with it, but I guess I was wrong.

    It was running a little too fast out of the box (+7sec a minute), but gave a couple winds and its now +1, hmm..

    The # is 0558.

    I will post the pics a little later

  7. #6
    Member kontai69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Cowtown" California
    Posts
    941

    Re: Received 556. Questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by cipsaz View Post
    When I shake the watch, I can hear the weird noise like that something is loose, or the metal is not tight enough. Some kind of a rotor noise.
    Is this normal?
    That is the sound of the rotor spinning which "winds up" the watch.
    This phenomenon is much more noticable with the Sinn 356 (infamous 7750 wobble).

    It was running a little too fast out of the box (+7sec a minute), but gave a couple winds and its now +1, hmm..
    My understaning is that mechanical watches are most accurate when they are fully wound or near so.

    MY COLLECTION
    Breitling Aerospace SuperQuartz E75362
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronometer Mid-size 2052.50
    Sinn 356 Flieger Acrylic on C&B strap
    Seiko SARB027
    Tissot T-Classic Desire T52142113

    Luminox 7051
    J. Crew Timex Vintage Field Watch
    Vintage Hamilton's: Boyd, Parker-B, Boulton, A-652, Pan Europ 701, Tonneau, Arnold

    Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V (with Mil-Shock mod)

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Middle of Hurricane Alley
    Posts
    21,244

    Re: Received 556. Questions!

    I hope you mean + 7 seconds a Day. That is completely fine. + 1 second a day is really good!
    The ticking is the best part of owning a mechanic watch. Now you just have to find a place in your bedroom for the watch, so you hear it when you go to bed!!
    Very soothing noise, the ticking!

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    43

    Re: Received 556. Questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    I hope you mean + 7 seconds a Day. That is completely fine. + 1 second a day is really good!
    The ticking is the best part of owning a mechanic watch. Now you just have to find a place in your bedroom for the watch, so you hear it when you go to bed!!
    Very soothing noise, the ticking!
    +7 seconds a day? How do I calculate that?

  10. #9
    Member kontai69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Cowtown" California
    Posts
    941

    Re: Received 556. Questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by cipsaz View Post
    +7 seconds a day? How do I calculate that?
    Go to www.time.gov and synchronize your watch to it. Use that as a reference to see how your watch is running (eg fast or slow).
    Keep in mind, as the manual says, that you should give the watch a couple months to "break in" before making a final assessment of its accuracy.

    MY COLLECTION
    Breitling Aerospace SuperQuartz E75362
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronometer Mid-size 2052.50
    Sinn 356 Flieger Acrylic on C&B strap
    Seiko SARB027
    Tissot T-Classic Desire T52142113

    Luminox 7051
    J. Crew Timex Vintage Field Watch
    Vintage Hamilton's: Boyd, Parker-B, Boulton, A-652, Pan Europ 701, Tonneau, Arnold

    Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V (with Mil-Shock mod)

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    43

    Re: Received 556. Questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by kontai69 View Post
    Go to www.time.gov and synchronize your watch to it. Use that as a reference to see how your watch is running (eg fast or slow).
    Keep in mind, as the manual says, that you should give the watch a couple months to "break in" before making a final assessment of its accuracy.
    Thanks for the link. I have another question. The date doesn't change after the midnight.. Any ideas why? It was the correct date out of the box, but then I was messing with the crown.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •