Review: My Sinn 857
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Review: My Sinn 857

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Review: My Sinn 857

pic from watchbuys:

Five weeks ago, my Sinn 857 arrived. I attended a GTG a few months back and met online icons like Idle Swede and many others. And I met my first Sinn that day, several in fact.

Fast forward and I am shopping for a durable pilot's watch with classic looks. I looked at several, and the finals come down to a Sinn 856 or 857.

Recognizing that I didn't have a single watch with a Bezel, and the fact that this watch kept speaking to me, I went for the 857 as soon as the govt told me they were sending me some extra money (or should I say, sending me some of my money back;)

Below is my review of my Sinn 857.

Case/Bezel/Crown: Made of tegimented steel, it is hardened to 1200 vickers, said to be 6 times harder than 316L. It is supposed to be virtually scratch proof, and I hope it will be. The case is not shiney at all, but more of a sweet MATTE grey. Fit and finish is near flawless.

The screw in crown is as smooth as it gets, and the bi-directional bezel lines up perfectly, time after time, and is also given the "tegimented treatment."

The caseback is solid, to help maintain the 20 Bar ATM WR, and the case is made by Glashutte case making legend SUG (Sächsische Uhrentechnologie GmbH Glashütte). The caseback is nickle free.

The dial is a stunning anthracite, featuring white numerals of generous lume. When I wake up at 4am, the dial is still "luming away." The numerals are a nice size, large enough for easy legibility without dominating the dial. The numerals on the bezel are silver, and the UTC logo is yellow, as is the tip of the UTC hand. The Flieger triangle is lumed.

The 857 is powered by the venerable ETA 2893. It is my opinion that the 289x series ETA's are among the finest mass produced movements ever made, and this one is no different. Accuracy is very consistent throughout the positions, and for precise timing, it will gain a little bit in the verical position crown left, and lose a little in the vertical position crown right. On the wrist, accuracy is about as good as it gets, seconds a week.
    Great 2892 article
    [COLOR=*003399]http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2892/eta2892.html[/COLOR]

I don't recall the amplitude and beat ratings from my day at the watchmaker, but they were superb.

The watch is available with a gorgeous tegimented steel bracelet or a strap with a tegimented pin buckle. I am a strap guy, and I selected the the Sinn private labeled DM Chronissimo. The strap is quite thick and took a few wears to break in, but is now becoming an old friend. It is a perfect compliment to the case and dial.

Featuring a 43mm diameter, and a thickness of 12.2mm (not including bezel), this watch has great wrist prescence without being overpowering. I have the forearms of a guitarist/cyclist, and the wrists of a pencil necked geek, and the Sinn is quite at home on my puny wrist.

The 857 is a classic timeless design, and I am honored to have this watch in my collection. If you haven't looked at Sinn yet, cruise over to watchbuys (the US distributor) to learn more about the brand.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review. I give this watch my strongest endorsement for those looking for a high quality tool watch with superb fit and finish. You won't be disappointed.
    (details below from watchbuys)

This is perhaps the ultimate pilot's "tool" watch - the new Sinn 857 UTC tegimented.

To create this new model, Sinn built on the extremely popular design of the Sinn 856 UTC dual time zone watch and added technology developed in creating the highly engineered U1, U2 and UX series Tegimented bezel construction. The result is the ultimate tool watch.

On a frequent basis we receive client praise for Sinn's "Tegiment" (hardening) technology, and have heard quite a few stories of watch cases scraped against metal railings, car doors, metal desks, and other more interesting objects with no damage to the case.

If you ask Mr. Lothar Schmidt, the owner of Sinn and an engineer about the Tegiment technology he will eagerly and in great detail explain the technical details to you in German. Since your German might be rusty and your time probably short, we offer the following summarized description and diagram of the Sinn Tegiment technology:

Standard steel used by most watch companies has a hardness of between 200 and 240 HV (Hardness Vickers is a common scale used to measure material hardness). The Tegiment layer has a hardness of 1,200 Vickers which is five times harder than standard steel.

The Tegiment layer is not a coating consisting of a foreign material, instead the steel itself that has been hardened using a special engineering process that creates a hardened barrier. The base material is a type of stainless steel also used for surgical implants, and the stainless steel resistance to corrosion is even further improved by the Tegiment hardening process. Together, the Tegimented case and Tegimented bezel create a watch that will stand up to extreme conditions, as well as maintain its good looks over time.

The case back is nickel free, perfect for those with allergic reactions to case metals. Other features include protection from magnetic fields of up to 80,000 A/m, sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on both sides.

Another Sinn engineering feat is the creation of a bezel that is secured by screws. This new bezel design prevents the bezel from accidentally snapping off under impact. The inlaid aluminum ring featuring numerals and markers is anodized black for optimal legibility, while the triangle reference marker at 12 is applied with special paint for visibility.

The case features a copper sulphate capsule which reacts with moisture to diffuse and absorb humidity in the watch. This capsule may be viewed through a porthole in the left lug, and over time will turn a deep blue as humidity is absorbed. This technology not only provides a more stable environment for the movement, but also prevents fogging of the crystal when going from hot to cold environments or from humid to non-humid conditions (such air conditioned buildings).

This watch has a second time zone displayed by a skeleton yellow tipped hour hand. The second time zone can be set directly through the second position of the crown and uses a 24 hour indication to differentiate AM and PM.

Sand-blasted stainless steel case with solid back. Dial is matte black with Arabic numerals and offset date display at 4. The design and layout of this watch make it extremely easy to read in virtually all light conditions.

Sapphire crystal with luminous hands, hour markers and the 12. Watch is water resistant to 20 ATM. Watch is fitted with a Sinn calf leather strap.

My review on the watcbuys site:

"Sinn 857"

Scottw44 on Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:53:49 PM

Comments about this watch:
    I tortured myself for several months before ordering the 857. When it arrived, it exceeded my expectations. The fit and finish is near flawless, the bezel turns smoothly and lines up precisely, the crown screws in and out with aplomb, and the dial is precise as well.

I have the double strap and it was stiff at first but after a week and a half it is like an old friend. Timekeeping is precise and consistent with very little positional variance. I am happy to have added this watch to my collection and it has been worn constantly since arrival.

I highly recommend the 857 to anyone looking for a well built pilots/tool watch. A winner!!!
    Last edited by scottw44; June 7th, 2009 at 14:57.
    longstride likes this.
    kind regards,

scott

vintage and obscure watch lover

Re: Review: My Sinn 857

Great review and pics; thanks for that Scott!

very interresting review! thanks for sharing!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thanx guyz. it was my pleasure to put it together.
    kind regards,

scott

Thanks for the review Scott. Another Sinn has been on my shortlist as well.

I purchased a U1 a few weeks before I got my 857 and haven't touched the U1 since. In fact, I haven't wore any of my other pieces since getting the 857 a few weeks ago.

thanx johnny!

and me too tony. 5 weeks since my 857 arrived and I can not stop wearing it. my collection is at near mutiny.
    kind regards,

scott

Scott,
    I am dealing with that same thing except with the 857's cousin, the 856 UTC on tegimented bracelet. The 856 also jumped into my wallet so it'd get purchased - quite a set of timepieces these Sinns, eh?

To put it mildly, glad you like your 857 - it looks great!

Glen

thanx Glen...ditto back at 'ya. The 56 and 57 series Sinns are all really nice timepieces. Glad yours is providing so much pleasure.
    kind regards,

scott

Quote Originally Posted by scottw44 View Post
    pic from watchbuys:

Five weeks ago, my Sinn 857 arrived. I attended a GTG a few months back and met online icons like Idle Swede and many others. And I met my first Sinn that day, several in fact.

Fast forward and I am shopping for a durable pilot's watch with classic looks. I looked at several, and the finals come down to a Sinn 856 or 857.

Recognizing that I didn't have a single watch with a Bezel, and the fact that this watch kept speaking to me, I went for the 857 as soon as the govt told me they were sending me some extra money (or should I say, sending me some of my money back;)

Below is my review of my Sinn 857.

Case/Bezel/Crown: Made of tegimented steel, it is hardened to 1200 vickers, said to be 6 times harder than 316L. It is supposed to be virtually scratch proof, and I hope it will be. The case is not shiney at all, but more of a sweet MATTE grey. Fit and finish is near flawless.

The screw in crown is as smooth as it gets, and the bi-directional bezel lines up perfectly, time after time, and is also given the "tegimented treatment."

The caseback is solid, to help maintain the 20 Bar ATM WR, and the case is made by Glashutte case making legend SUG (Sächsische Uhrentechnologie GmbH Glashütte). The caseback is nickle free.

The dial is a stunning anthracite, featuring white numerals of generous lume. When I wake up at 4am, the dial is still "luming away." The numerals are a nice size, large enough for easy legibility without dominating the dial. The numerals on the bezel are silver, and the UTC logo is yellow, as is the tip of the UTC hand. The Flieger triangle is lumed.

The 857 is powered by the venerable ETA 2893. It is my opinion that the 289x series ETA's are among the finest mass produced movements ever made, and this one is no different. Accuracy is very consistent throughout the positions, and for precise timing, it will gain a little bit in the verical position crown left, and lose a little in the vertical position crown right. On the wrist, accuracy is about as good as it gets, seconds a week.
    Great 2892 article
    [COLOR=*003399]http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2892/eta2892.html[/color]

I don't recall the amplitude and beat ratings from my day at the watchmaker, but they were superb.

The watch is available with a gorgeous tegimented steel bracelet or a strap with a tegimented pin buckle. I am a strap guy, and I selected the the Sinn private labeled DM Chronissimo. The strap is quite thick and took a few wears to break in, but is now becoming an old friend. It is a perfect compliment to the case and dial.

Featuring a 43mm diameter, and a thickness of 12.2mm (not including bezel), this watch has great wrist prescence without being overpowering. I have the forearms of a guitarist/cyclist, and the wrists of a pencil necked geek, and the Sinn is quite at home on my puny wrist.

The 857 is a classic timeless design, and I am honored to have this watch in my collection. If you haven't looked at Sinn yet, cruise over to watchbuys (the US distributor) to learn more about the brand.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review. I give this watch my strongest endorsement for those looking for a high quality tool watch with superb fit and finish. You won't be disappointed.
    (details below from watchbuys)

This is perhaps the ultimate pilot's "tool" watch - the new Sinn 857 UTC tegimented.

To create this new model, Sinn built on the extremely popular design of the Sinn 856 UTC dual time zone watch and added technology developed in creating the highly engineered U1, U2 and UX series Tegimented bezel construction. The result is the ultimate tool watch.

On a frequent basis we receive client praise for Sinn's "Tegiment" (hardening) technology, and have heard quite a few stories of watch cases scraped against metal railings, car doors, metal desks, and other more interesting objects with no damage to the case.

If you ask Mr. Lothar Schmidt, the owner of Sinn and an engineer about the Tegiment technology he will eagerly and in great detail explain the technical details to you in German. Since your German might be rusty and your time probably short, we offer the following summarized description and diagram of the Sinn Tegiment technology:

Standard steel used by most watch companies has a hardness of between 200 and 240 HV (Hardness Vickers is a common scale used to measure material hardness). The Tegiment layer has a hardness of 1,200 Vickers which is five times harder than standard steel.

The Tegiment layer is not a coating consisting of a foreign material, instead the steel itself that has been hardened using a special engineering process that creates a hardened barrier. The base material is a type of stainless steel also used for surgical implants, and the stainless steel resistance to corrosion is even further improved by the Tegiment hardening process. Together, the Tegimented case and Tegimented bezel create a watch that will stand up to extreme conditions, as well as maintain its good looks over time.

The case back is nickel free, perfect for those with allergic reactions to case metals. Other features include protection from magnetic fields of up to 80,000 A/m, sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on both sides.

Another Sinn engineering feat is the creation of a bezel that is secured by screws. This new bezel design prevents the bezel from accidentally snapping off under impact. The inlaid aluminum ring featuring numerals and markers is anodized black for optimal legibility, while the triangle reference marker at 12 is applied with special paint for visibility.

The case features a copper sulphate capsule which reacts with moisture to diffuse and absorb humidity in the watch. This capsule may be viewed through a porthole in the left lug, and over time will turn a deep blue as humidity is absorbed. This technology not only provides a more stable environment for the movement, but also prevents fogging of the crystal when going from hot to cold environments or from humid to non-humid conditions (such air conditioned buildings).

This watch has a second time zone displayed by a skeleton yellow tipped hour hand. The second time zone can be set directly through the second position of the crown and uses a 24 hour indication to differentiate AM and PM.

Sand-blasted stainless steel case with solid back. Dial is matte black with Arabic numerals and offset date display at 4. The design and layout of this watch make it extremely easy to read in virtually all light conditions.

Sapphire crystal with luminous hands, hour markers and the 12. Watch is water resistant to 20 ATM. Watch is fitted with a Sinn calf leather strap.

My review on the watcbuys site
    :

"Sinn 857"

Scottw44 on Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:53:49 PM

Comments about this watch:
    I tortured myself for several months before ordering the 857. When it arrived, it exceeded my expectations. The fit and finish is near flawless, the bezel turns smoothly and lines up precisely, the crown screws in and out with aplomb, and the dial is precise as well.

I have the double strap and it was stiff at first but after a week and a half it is like an old friend. Timekeeping is precise and consistent with very little positional variance. I am happy to have added this watch to my collection and it has been worn constantly since arrival.

I highly recommend the 857 to anyone looking for a well built pilots/tool watch. A winner!!!
    It's the UTC wrong on these pictures, or it is me?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information