Rubber Strap Deployants: 20mm vs 22mm Question

Thread: Rubber Strap Deployants: 20mm vs 22mm Question

Rubber Strap Deployants: 20mm vs 22mm Question

Hey fellas,

I've gone ahead and done what many do on here and took my Deployant from my 22mm 857 Rubber Strap and retrofitted it to my 857 Bracelet. I like it enough that I went ahead and bought a 20mm version of the Deployant from an 856 Rubber Strap.

The Deployant is still on route, but I have a few questions in the mean time.

Is the 20mm Deployant the same overall length as the 22mm? Reason I ask is that like everyone else who has done this, the drawback is the lack of micro-adjustments. Currently my 22mm has me in the slightly too tight or slightly too loose scenario. Wondering if this will be any different with the 20mm version. So even a minor length difference would matter here.

Thanks

Scotty
    Easy come, easy go....

Re: Rubber Strap Deployants: 20mm vs 22mm Question

Easy come, easy go....

Hey Scotty,

I haven't tried it, but I've heard about some folks taking out the dive extension to make the overall deployant shorter. If it happens that the amount you take out is less than the length of a link, then you've got at least a bit of adjustment to work with that way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by heebs View Post
    Hey Scotty,

I haven't tried it, but I've heard about some folks taking out the dive extension to make the overall deployant shorter. If it happens that the amount you take out is less than the length of a link, then you've got at least a bit of adjustment to work with that way.
    Hmmm, thats interesting Darryl.

Now you've got me thinking about removing the dive extension altogether (I don't dive and this is a spare clasp) and having additional adjustment holes drilled in the clasp. I wonder if I can find bits that small...

I got out the dial caliper and bracelet links are exactly 10mm, while removing the dive extension reduces the clasp by 11.5mm. So unfortunately, to take advantage of biffing the dive extension and drilling the clasp would actually require me to buy another $45 (plus shipping) bracelet link from Watchbuys.

Something I did stumble on while measuring the clasp is that each "pocket" on the end of the clasp which normally houses the end of the rubber strap actually has enough depth to allow for a second set of holes to be drilled approx 2.5mm further in. If done on both ends, you've got 5mm, which would be like having a half link. That may be enough adjustment to make this viable for me. Again, gonna have to see where I can find 1mm drill bits.
    Easy come, easy go....

Well, got the 20mm Deployant Clasp on it now. Much much better fit. I'm not sure if its because the clasp is narrower, but i'm not in a big rush to drill this thing as it fits pretty good as is. It seemed like the other one dug into my wrist due to the extra 2mm of width. This actually feels "stock" now.

Just wish it was Tegimented to better match the Bracelet and Case. Anyone sitting on a Tegimented one they'd like to sell? I may beadblast this one in the mean time in order to knock down the brightness a bit.
    Easy come, easy go....

Quote Originally Posted by armybuck041 View Post
    Just wish it was Tegimented to better match the Bracelet and Case.
    Sinn never mass produced 20mm Tegimented long deployants. I found a few custom overruns at the factory a four years ago but haven't seen any since.

Problem solved!

I ended up buying a 1.19mm Cobalt Drill Bit and drilled new holes 2mm further into the Deployant Clasp sockets. I now have nearly the equivalent of a half link worth of adjustment which solved my problem.

Probably could have been a bit more neat, but I plan on media blasting the clasp to try and dull the shine in an effort to get to match the bracelet a bit better.

Easy come, easy go....

Quote Originally Posted by armybuck041 View Post
    Problem solved!

I ended up buying a 1.19mm Cobalt Drill Bit and drilled new holes 2mm further into the Deployant Clasp sockets. I now have nearly the equivalent of a half link worth of adjustment which solved my problem.

Probably could have been a bit more neat, but I plan on media blasting the clasp to try and dull the shine in an effort to get to match the bracelet a bit better.

Nice work, Scotty!
    "I used to think it was getting a bit beat up but now that I know that it is just Wabi Sabi I feel much better." -BC Wave
    "This is an establishment of horological promiscuity. Of course you should pull the trigger!" -Dave M

Thread Information