A sad day for me

Thread: A sad day for me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Off topic A sad day for me

Yesterday was a very sad day for our family as our beloved family dog Bora had to be put to sleep.

She was only 4 years old. Apparently severe damage to her kidneys, probably present from birth but undetected, terminated her life rather rapidly after the first signs of the kidney malfunction were in evidence less than four weeks ago. Even a last-ditch effort of treatment at the veterinary university hospital in Gießen could not avert the fate appointed for her. I picked her up from the hospital on Friday, and she was clearly happy to come home and be united with her family before her health failed rapidly on Saturday. She died in our arms on Sunday morning.

Bora was born in Hungary (a proper addition to our multi-national family) to unknown parents, most likely a German Shepherd and a smaller dog, perhaps a Corgi. She had lived in animal shelters for most of her life until she joined us fifteen months ago. She quickly became a full-fledged family member, ever cheerful, gentle, kind and trusting (her principal character traits, in addition to being a voracious eater of everything that was given to her, including, somewhat strangely, strawberries). This gentleness came as a surprise given the bad times, and the bad treatment by human beings, she had been through. But some animals are like that, just a loving personality with no offense taken. We consider it a privilege to have known such a dog, and to have had her as a family member. She has brought more joy to the kids, my ailing father, my wife and myself than we can say, and we are somewhat comforted by the fact that she did spend the best part of her short life in our family.

I greatly miss the enthusiastic tail-wagging and floor-pounding, and the wet snout nudging me to leave the desk and finally do something enjoyable - like taking the dog for a walk. And above all I miss seeing the show of sheer joy Bora put on when I came home from the job (I am a weekend commuter and can stay at home only three or four nights per week), signifying that her flock was complete again and a long car ride and the exploration of unknown territory - and possibly a rabbit hunt? - beckoned.

We are all in grief now that Bora has had to leave us :-X ... here is a final picture of her during a renovation project last year:

Bora's illness and the final stages of the pregnancy of my wife have kept me from checking the fora more frequently lately. We hope that little Robert will be healthy and join the family in a the next few weeks, and once he is settled in (and his papa has been familiarized with what new challenges such a little one brings), we look forward to making the family complete again by finding another dog. Apparently I am expected to push a pram, too, or so I am told, but I have a secret plan to have the pram be pulled by the dog.

You won't be seeing too many new watches from me in the foreseeable future either, as Bora's medical treatment has taken a substantial bite out of our financial ressources. But my interest in watches has not waned. In fact, I have found much comfort on the watch fora during the difficult times that we have been through, and have enjoyed the opportunity to take my mind off graver issues. For this I would like to say thank you to you all.

Thank you very much for reading.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Re: A sad day for me

Sorry to hear about the loss Crusader,
    Nice pics of your friend in better times.
    Watches are nice, but dead objects, your money going to Bora is allways more important.
    You can allways enjoy the watches you already own.
    Keep on posting, and chin up,

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Hi Martin,

I'm very sorry to hear about you and your family's loss, my thoughts are with you.

Best Regards,
    Sanjay

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very Sorry about that Martin,
    And my thought and prayers are with you.
    Daniel

Mein Beileid Martin
    Marcus

Banned

Owning a shepherd dog myself, I know how close friends they are, and how you must feel now. That's just so sad. Try to remember the joy she brought into your house, maybe it will ease the pain of this loss a little bit.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had some bad times Martin. However as a father of three children experience tells me that your impending arrival will soon divert your thoughts.
    Regards, MAGIRUS.

I am really sorry about your loss - will keep you & urs in my prayers.
    Have a Great One,

Michael

that was a very moving post, Crusader - losing someone you love is always sad. take comfort knowing that Bora was given a good home and received love & attention during her final 1 1/2 yrs of her life.

Condolences from this side of the pond, Martin.

I think that new baby will help ease the pain.
    DW

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information