Self-servicing a UX....

Thread: Self-servicing a UX....

Self-servicing a UX....

I know that a vast majoriry of Sinn owners here will call this sack religious, but I feel it would work. Something about sending the UX back to germany to get the battery changed, and re-oiled sounds silly. I have never seen a picture of the screw/porthole used to fill the case, but if it is opened with something like an allen wrench or torx-bit, then what can be so complicated about filling up a watch case. It cant be any more difficult than pouring some oil into a 4-cycle weedeater (which I just did, and got the idea for this).

Here is how I would do it....

1. Unscrew caseback, oil will go everywhere so do it in a tupperware bin.

2. switch battery out

3 screw caseback on.

4. Warm oil up (about 110 degrees farenheit) to let it become nice and fluid/runny to prevent air pockets.

5. fill until it is overflowing.

6. Let it sit port-hole facing up to get back to room temperature (thus contracting a bit)

7. fill the last bit up, (it couldnt be more than a drop)

The only things I think that sinn might do differently is using something to pressurize the oil while filling (probably just pressurizing the enviroment the application is being done), another thing sinn probably does is that they make sure the membrane is "out" or just in the position that will allow the oil to contract.

Also, is it possible to order a UX without the oil?

Any pics of the oil-fill port around here, Ive never seen it.

thanks,
    Jeff

Re: Self-servicing a UX....

good luck with that one. the ux only needs service once every 7 years. most people here own more than one watch so whats the deal with sending it in for a service? I'm sure you wouldn't try and service a mechanical by yourself. also sinn is replacing the oil with teflon during the service, will replace the hands and dial if they darkend from the original oil for free. what you think is simple is in fact very difficult. you can't fill the case without getting plenty of air in it. it has to be pulled through the case in a vacuum, not filled by pressure. also sinn won't send one without the oil. you may as well just buy a u1 and swap out the dial and hands from a ux. kind of defeats the purpose of a watch designed for extreme environments.

I seem to recall reading or seeing a video of the UX filling process. If memory serves, Sinn fills the case with oil, leaving off the caseback, and lets the watch sit for hours in a machine that vibrates. The vibration causes all little air bubbles to work their way out of the small spaces, to the top. More oil is then added, the caseback installed, and the outside of the watch cleaned.

I think that the shortfall of your approach is that it doesn't get out the tiny microbubbles in the nook and crannies of the movement and case.

Rob

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Are you sure about that procedure? Oil is not compressible, if you fill the case up to the brim, you would not be able to screw the caseback back back on! At a certain point, you get a tight seal, the oil can not escape anymore, but you still need to do tighten it a bit more!

Nope, I'm not sure about how they put the caseback on. Based on the picture that I remember seeing, I figured that everything was done inside a tank of oil.

You've now got me searching old posts to find the picture of the vibrating gizmo that Sinn uses (or used?) to get out air bubbles. I think the pic was taken when a bunch of WUSs or TZ'ers went on a factory tour last year.

In the end, however, Sean may be right that they're now using a different method.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by roberev View Post
    You've now got me searching old posts to find the picture of the vibrating gizmo that Sinn uses (or used?) to get out air bubbles. I think the pic was taken when a bunch of WUSs or TZ'ers went on a factory tour last year.
    Hi Rob,

I was on the factory tour last year with Martin (Crusader) and I remember seeing several oscillating gizmos, but no vibrating ones.

Banned

Maybe he was in the departement for Ladies Watches! :oops:

haha good one Janne.

roberev, where are you getting the oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Maybe he was in the departement for Ladies Watches! :oops:
    You're not right Janne...but that's what I like about you.

Thread Information