Is service required for your watch
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By chris01
  • 1 Post By mumbojumbo
  • 1 Post By Spring-Diver
  • 1 Post By Radharc

Thread: Is service required for your watch

Is service required for your watch

I am considering buying the 856 because of tegimented case. However it seems that the watch also has copper sulphate capsule and inert gas filling which I am not really interested in. I have been doing some research and it seems good quality watches are expected to continue to work without service for a lifetime.

Considering that I am going to be using my watch mostly for work sitting at desk, does changing those copper sulphate capsules really required? Should I forego the tegimented case and consider the 556? The thought of servicing a watch unless it is broken does not inspire me.

Re: Is service required for your watch

Quote Originally Posted by mumbojumbo View Post
    I am considering buying the 856 because of tegimented case. However it seems that the watch also has copper sulphate capsule and inert gas filling which I am not really interested in. I have been doing some research and it seems good quality watches are expected to continue to work without service for a lifetime.

Considering that I am going to be using my watch mostly for work sitting at desk, does changing those copper sulphate capsules really required? Should I forego the tegimented case and consider the 556? The thought of servicing a watch unless it is broken does not inspire me.
    You raise some interesting points.

1. No mechanical watch, however good its quality, will run indefinitely without service. If you wait until it won't work your watch maker will probably find a lot of expensive deterioration due to dried up lubricants, with resultant wear on moving parts, possible corrosion due to water ingress, and all sorts of other horrors. Would you run your car until the engine seized?

2. The tegimented steel is obviously a matter of choice and it's up to you to decide if you want your 'desk diver' to look like new after a few years. The 556 has been reported as being a bit of a scratch magnet.

3. The Ar technology looks like overkill I guess, but it's a remarkably neat protection for your watch. If water gets in, the capsule will protect the movement by absorbing it until it becomes saturated. During this time it will gradually change from almost white to dark blue, giving an early warning of trouble ahead. The inert gas is supposed to prevent oxidation of the lubricants and may well be a useful feature.

I just got my 7-year old 856 UTC back from its first service, as it had been running slow, about 10 spd. The capsule had turned a very pale blue, the case, crystal and bracelet looked like new, apart from slight (desk) marks on the clasp. Sinn can't refurbish tegimented steel, but it didn't need it.

I sent the watch to Frankfurt HQ via my UK AD. The round trip took 3 weeks and cost £300.
    Spring-Diver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chris01 View Post

You raise some interesting points.

1. No mechanical watch, however good its quality, will run indefinitely without service. If you wait until it won't work your watch maker will probably find a lot of expensive deterioration due to dried up lubricants, with resultant wear on moving parts, possible corrosion due to water ingress, and all sorts of other horrors. Would you run your car until the engine seized?

2. The tegimented steel is obviously a matter of choice and it's up to you to decide if you want your 'desk diver' to look like new after a few years. The 556 has been reported as being a bit of a scratch magnet.

3. The Ar technology looks like overkill I guess, but it's a remarkably neat protection for your watch. If water gets in, the capsule will protect the movement by absorbing it until it becomes saturated. During this time it will gradually change from almost white to dark blue, giving an early warning of trouble ahead. The inert gas is supposed to prevent oxidation of the lubricants and may well be a useful feature.

I just got my 7-year old 856 UTC back from its first service, as it had been running slow, about 10 spd. The capsule had turned a very pale blue, the case, crystal and bracelet looked like new, apart from slight (desk) marks on the clasp. Sinn can't refurbish tegimented steel, but it didn't need it.

I sent the watch to Frankfurt HQ via my UK AD. The round trip took 3 weeks and cost £300.
    I did not mean indefinitely but let’s be honest here. A comparison to cars is not apples to apples comparison. A car operates under temperatures and pressures and forces unlikely to be ever seen by a watch. At most you can compare it to a bicycle and even then a bike is exposed to more elements than your watch ever will. Moreover the movement in the watch is completely protected unlike a bike.

My dad had a Titoni Airmaster which he bought when he started working. He wore that watch every single day I was growing up and never serviced that watch until it stopped working about 30-35 years later.

I am wondering if Sinn is a similar brand.
    adnj likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I did not mean indefinitely but let’s be honest here. A comparison to cars is not apples to apples comparison. A car operates under temperatures and pressures and forces unlikely to be ever seen by a watch. At most you can compare it to a bicycle and even then a bike is exposed to more elements than your watch ever will. Moreover the movement in the watch is completely protected unlike a bike.

My dad had a Titoni Airmaster which he bought when he started working. He wore that watch every single day I was growing up and never serviced that watch until it stopped working about 30-35 years later.

I am wondering if Sinn is a similar brand.
    Sinn is no different from any other brand. It uses mostly standard mass-produced movements, originally from ETA, then Sellita, with some significant in-house developments. Expecting any mechanical watch to run 'forever' is simply wishful thinking, coupled with some luck. Obviously a watch lives in a different world from a car engine, but it's still a simple mechanical artefact that deserves care and attention in return for running with high precision 24x365. I know how to treat my watches. Do whatever satisfies your preconceptions but be prepared for disappointment.

The thought of servicing a watch unless it is broken does not inspire me.
    Seriously? You’re joking right?

99.99999% of anything mechanical periodically needs service/maintenance.

Good luck
    egwatchfan likes this.
    My Seiko's: SBDB001 SD600M, SBDX001 Marine Master, SRP777, SRPA21 PADI,

Casio: ProTrek 2500-A1

My Sinnís: EZM9, EZM14ĖT1, EZM14-T1B, U1 Professional, 836

Want

Sinn: U1 S Blue, U2C, UX S, 857 S, 900 S

Seiko: SNR031J1, SNR035J1

wkw

My 11 years old 856S is still working fine and i havenít send it in for service yet.

Itís less accurate when comparing with new but itís still ticking fine.

Said that, Iíd would recommend a periodic service without touching the moisture capsule or refilling the argon gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thought of servicing a watch unless it is broken does not inspire me.
    You may be interested in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by wkw View Post
    My 11 years old 856S is still working fine and i haven’t send it in for service yet.
    It’s less accurate when comparing with new but it’s still ticking fine.
    My 856S UTC is about that age as well. Never serviced, still going strong, but the accuracy has taken a bit of a hit.
    wkw likes this.

A Sinn is too nice a watch to run until it drops so have it serviced on a regular basis. I don’t know for certain but I should imagine that the SC will change the capsule as a matter of course with the service.

Thread Information