Shipping to Sinn in Germany

Thread: Shipping to Sinn in Germany

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Shipping to Sinn in Germany

So I need some help/advice of shipping my 856 UTC to Sinn in Germany for service/repair. I checked the forum, read all of the posts on Sinn service in Germany, downloaded and filled out the service form from the Sinn website, etc. Then I went to the post office....that's where I ran into a snag. I had put the watch into a "international priority flat rate small box." So the post office guy tells me that they recently did away with the "small priority box" for international shipments. So okay, I can put it in a "medium" box....no big deal. Then he tells me that priority international shipments to Germany can only be insured up to $500 (I was going to insure it for $1000) and there would be no tracking. He suggests sending it International Express instead because I can use the small box (putting it inside an envelope), there will be tracking and I can insure it for the whole amount. Great....so I fill out more paperwork (including customs declaration), but when I get back to the counter, he tells me that in looking further international express specifically prohibits watches and jewelry. So for the postal service, I'm stuck with either only being insured for $500 with no tracking, or lying on the customs declaration and saying its something other than a watch for int'l express.

What have members here done? UPS/FedEx/DHL???? Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Re: Shipping to Sinn in Germany

I sent my Sinn from the US via FedEx and had no issues. Have you communicated with Sinn about your watch? I know they use UPS, so perhaps they can guide you depending on your situation.

Best of luck!

I usually use Fedex and never had any issues, but you need to be aware that Fedex - like virtually all courier companies will not cover the full value of the watch.

With most shipping methods, postal service or courier company you will find maximum insurance coverage that will be less that the value of the watch, although there is one courier company that jewelers use which specializes in this niche market.

You also need to consider how you plan to deal with any import duties that Customs may want to charge when the watch is shipped back to you and how you can prove that the watch was in your possession before. Which in my case is easy, since I pick up the watch on one of my Europe flights.

All in all, it is a bit of a hassle and explains why regional authorized dealers (AD) are able to charge a premium, as they often take care of the burden of shipping for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have you considered using RGM?

Thanks guys. Will head over to FedEx tomorrow and check it out. I have my original invoice, warranty card, etc. so I believe that no customs duty should be required. Hopefully Sinn will state clearly on their customs paperwork that it is a service return. I considered RGM, but since this is an Ar gas filled watch I thought it best to send it to Sinn (due to other posts by members here on this forum). If anyone believes differently, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks again.

When was your watch made?

I've had the same issues with USPS and FedEx will only insure a watch for up to $1000, which in your case sounds like it will work. Sinn does use UPS and I have sent a watch to them for repair insured for $2000.

I used DHL as they were the only ones to offer sufficient insurance (they were recommended by a fellow forumite), sent my EZM-1 back for a full service and to be refilled with Argon....no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdunhill View Post
    When was your watch made?
    This one dates to 2007. I saw that there was some discussion about whether pre-2009 856's were Ar filled or not. Anyone have a definitive answer on that?
    Last edited by TommyG; August 1st, 2013 at 18:14.

I usually use FedEx intl express, so it gets there fast. And US Customs has begun charging duty on the cost of the repair work being done overseas: there's no escaping the tax man. The shipper must include an invoice indicating the costs of the repair: without it, it just sits there in the customs office until they "remember" to contact the shipper for the information. Very frustrating, ask me how I know....
    Last edited by David Woo; August 1st, 2013 at 22:08.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information