Sinn 104 - alternatives
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sinn 104 - alternatives

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn 104 - alternatives

I’ve been eyeing up a 104 for several months now, most likely in a black dial with leather. This question might come off rather strange, but I’m just wondering if anyone has any suggestions in a similar price range to the 104 that are worth looking at. It’s not necessarily to find a similar watch, but I’m just trying to make sure that I get the best watch in the price range without having later regrets. By all accounts, the best watch in the range seems to be the 104, but what other autos that are also casual/sporty have you come across that wowed you in the 900-1400 range?

Re: Sinn 104 - alternatives

Are you looking at Sinn only? If so, check out the 3f.... it's REALLY nice as well.
    If your question is about watch brands in general, it's really a hard question to answer without know a LOT more about your preferences.

For your price range have you checked out Damasko? I've been doing so much research on my next watch my brain is starting to hurt. I was initially looking at the 104 but decided I don't want a bezel watch for my next one.

The DA44 is the version without numerals, or look at the DA46 for a numeral version.
    They are cheaper on leather, hardened steel, by all accounts a much superior bezel action (including the insert being DRC coated instead of aluminium), choice of bezel inserts (count up or 12 hr to track a different timezone) and they have some interesting tech wrapped around their crown system. All up it's a great tool watch. Damasko also use ETA instead of Sellita, whether that is worth something to you or not is up to you.

Downsides are that the ice hardened cases are really matte, if you like the polish of the 104 then this will not suit you. If you really like the countdown bezel then this isn't offered by Damasko either. Sinn reportedly use the top grade of Sellita, Damasko use the elaborated grade of ETA and regulate it themselves. Sinn also have a display back while Damasko don't.

Otherwise they are a very similar size, same lug width and both double AR coated German made watches.

Have a look. https://www.damasko-watches.com/en/m...-bezel/39/da46
    I, for one, like Roman numerals.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Oris Aquis is a popular pick in this price range. I dig it, but the integrated lugs are a no-go.

I bought my black-dialed, leather-strapped 104 right before Thanksgiving, and didn't wear another watch till March. I don't think you'll regret it.
    Casio / C.Ward / Grand Seiko / Hamilton / Junghans / Laco / Nomos / Omega / Panerai / Rolex / Sinn / Timex / Tudor

These are great suggestions to check out, so thank you. I’m not only looking at Sinn - I’m just further exploring the price range. Some of the watches I currently have are the Bulova moon watch, a marathon field watch, the seiko skx, and a citizen perpetual calendar chronograph - oh, and a LOT of G-SHOCKs, including a mudmaster. I dress casual to work - slacks and a polo, so that’s why I’m staying away from anything dressy in this range because it just won’t get thebplay in the wrist. I’m not a fan of bracelets and my wife deems them a major no no for me - though I know I can always change it out, watches with a bracelet are usually just going to cost more for something I’m just going to immediately remove. What draws me to the Sinn 104 is its sportiness - a watch like that could be an everyday wear with my typical dress. But more importantly, I’m drawn to Sinn because I feel it to be an exceptional brand, meant in the true sense - it’s not something everyone is going to have, like say, a submariner.

Actually, a better comparison of a watch in the price range that I feel everyone has would be Tag. Not really feeling those anyway, at least the ones in that price range.

khd

The Damasko and the EZM3 are both solid options but as Dogs857 mentioned you really need to like the flat matte look of the cases and the dials... I've owned both and ultimately found out the hard way that I like the notion of a super toolish looking watch but get bored of it pretty quickly on the wrist. I'm actually thinking of going with a 104 (white dial for me) as since wearing my Seiko Tuna SBBN033 daily for over a year I can finally admit to myself that I prefer a bit of polish in real life... I normally just tone it down with a nato or rubber strap, but (very) occasionally I even go full bling with polished mesh as well now!

Still, I think the bead blasted watches both looked awesome in photos taken in my shed

Name:  IMG_0826_1494129683431.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  1.94 MB

Name:  IMG_E1862.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  2.50 MB

Name:  FE130C4E-246D-4813-99E1-E2C3D8201730_1538302306128.jpeg
Views: 229
Size:  2.58 MB

Name:  7946FEF8-0F8B-4C3C-AE94-848308CADA2A_1514447679715.jpeg
Views: 222
Size:  2.76 MB
    Last edited by khd; April 19th, 2019 at 14:26. Reason: spelling

That damasko on the leather strap is such a clean look! I went to their website and like what I saw. But not as much as the 104. But that’s not definitive. What I’ve been doing is take ones I think I like and taking pictures and then just looking at them from time to time to see if I still feel the same. I landed on this price range Bc while I would love to have a speedy, I just can’t justify the cost right now especially with the maintenance cost. So the Sinn and now Damasko are a good range for a solid watch. Also, I will be getting a Hamilton, or two - likely the aviation H76665835 and the scuba with the blue accent on the bezel. So just going to slightly up my watch game.
    khd likes this.

Thanks for the comparison pictures of the Damasko and Sinn. That is a great summation of the flat vs. polished discussion.
    khd likes this.

If you want something to go up against Sinn I’d look at Damasko.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information