Sinn 104 Matte — Gimmick or Great?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sinn 104 Matte — Gimmick or Great?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sinn 104 Matte — Gimmick or Great?

Forgive me if this has been posted about to death. But like others, I am on the fence about just purchasing a standard 104 or waiting for the special matte/bead blasted edition to surface on the secondary market.

On the one hand, the mat version looks so tooltastic. And my intention is for this to be an everyday watch, so the bead blast dresses it down some.

On the other hand, I wonder if the bead blast finish will prove to be somewhat gimmicky over, say, 10 or 15 years. I say this because it is relatively easy to restore a polished finish if it becomes scratched. So I wonder if the bead blast finish will become very scratched and look poor. I mean, Sinn must have some reason to ordinarily exclude this finish from the 104, right?

Anyway, please weigh in. Is the matte finish a gimmick or is it great? Thanks.

Re: Sinn 104 Matte — Gimmick or Great?

Well.... I sold my polished and bought a matte, and I love it. But I am in the military and wear a uniform, so the matte was a no-brainer for me. I love the 104, but the shiny polished case did not go well with cammo. So, I might be a special case.

Name:  Sinnx2.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  43.2 KB
    Last edited by Split-2nd; January 11th, 2020 at 19:04.
    Regret is unprofessional.

I had always admired the 104, but the polished finish kept me from buying one. My attire is more casual, and I have dressier watches for certain occasions. So, as soon as the matte edition became available, I jumped on it.

It won't look gimmicky in a decade or two, any more so than my tegimented U1 or other matte finishes. I don't see why it couldn't be refinished, although my knowledge of watch restoration is nil. I'd say that you should buy whichever finish matches your taste and use. There are certainly more dial choices with the polishes case, and more in the secondary market, but for me, matte and black dial are perfect.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Man, this makes it harder... because I'm mostly casual in dress. So matte makes sense. But it might be a year or two before people start letting them go. Now I get how people are drawn into this.

Needless to say, the 104 was released as a dressier, classic-looking entry level watch without many Sinn technologies. The fact that it didn't look like a tool watch is what first caught my attention. Point is, your choice obviously depends what you envision the 104's role to be.

Bead blast will never go outa style if that's what you're worried about. It's been around forever and is as classic as any other watch finish. The wear and tear it shows depends on how hard you are on it. I purchased a bead blasted Hamilton Sub III for office use in 2000, wore it nearly every day for 9 1/2 years, and the finish still looked exceptional for its age. Yes, certain spots (mostly on the bracelet) did start to reveal slightly shinier steel. But the insignificant wear it did show was just a part of it's story and character in my opinion. I sold it about 15 years after I purchased it for what I originally paid.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with either.

I personally think the 104/103 all look better polished, but it really is simply personal preference.... and you might prefer the matte, and that's fine!
    JCB43 likes this.

Some of my 1911 pistols are matte bead blasted in the lower (low part of the pistol with the mag well, trigger group and slide rails with hammer). Now bead blasting can and will become scratched or abraided with use and this often results in a fine shine or linear scratch wear mark. To remove such scratches, impact with crocus cloth of about 60 to 120 grit can re-dimple the marred surface. However on a watch impact is not desirable I would imagine. But then again tool watches should be treated as the tools that they are and a healthy attitude of “its my tool watch, I wear it and it gets some abuse... so what?” Is probably the best approach to the matter. So I would choose the finish you like the most and let the use and abuse produce patina and smiles.

I have a polished 104 and love it. It's a great everyday watch that works in casual or less casual situations. I think the matte version looks good too and just think it comes down to personal preference. Neither is gimmicky or will go out of style. Get the one the one that looks better to your eye -- I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    TgeekB likes this.

I wouldn’t say it was a gimmick but personally I prefer the 104 polished.
    TgeekB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    I wouldn’t say it was a gimmick but personally I prefer the 104 polished.
    Totally agree. Polished look so much better, goes very well with its design.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information